inTank Media Baskets

Zer0's JBJ RL-10 AIO Cube

Zer0

Murphs_Reef

Some good photos them dude.. would like a camera myself, currently stuck with my pixel 4a. Can't really buy one now cause the LFS keeps telling me I absolutely need to buy the next XXX coral so my system won't die...  I listen and take the advice given 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And here is a shot of the yellow-tip acro I’m using as a test coral lol. The colors are pretty accurate on this photo, but in person the tips definitely look a little more yellow. It’s very pretty I must admit, and I’m not even a huge fan of acropora lol

0C6FCECB-78E3-46B8-B389-F82A11401C0B.jpeg

• Like 2
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
3 hours ago, Zer0 said:

And here is a shot of the yellow-tip acro I’m using as a test coral lol. The colors are pretty accurate on this photo, but in person the tips definitely look a little more yellow. It’s very pretty I must admit, and I’m not even a huge fan of acropora lol

0C6FCECB-78E3-46B8-B389-F82A11401C0B.jpeg

Once you go Acropora and it takes off you will be hooked, trust me I am in rehabilitation to not spend so much on them!

20210619_092531~2.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

When they get fluffy I go nuts and fall in love all over!

20210605_113912_HDR~2.jpg

Wow the polyp extension on that is crazy!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
22 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Wow the polyp extension on that is crazy!

Now, I need to take you to a 1 minute clip of SPS macro video, since I know you love macros.  This is where your acros will take you.  Are you ready for some fun Zer0, sit back and enjoy.

• Like 3

Hey Zero!!

Doing an amazing job bud everything looks fantastic so far.  You inspired to kick start my tank again. Love all the pictures too everything looks really healthy 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Rehype said:

Hey Zero!!

Doing an amazing job bud everything looks fantastic so far.  You inspired to kick start my tank again. Love all the pictures too everything looks really healthy 

Hype! Thanks so much bro, that means a lot coming from you! I’m excited to see what you do this time around, your tanks are always the best! 

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Bristleworm and cleaner shrimp fighting over an algae wafer lol

51290253808_139401bfae_k.jpg

Get an arrow crab and see what he does to that bristle worm.  🙂

ECLS Reefer
29 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Lol arrow crabs freak me out, they’re too spider-like with those long and thin legs/arms.

They’re super creepy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
12 hours ago, ECLS Reefer said:

They’re super creepy

Not any more creepy than that nasty looking bristle worm! LOL

13 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Lol arrow crabs freak me out, they’re too spider-like with those long and thin legs/arms.

And that bristle worm, is it not more freaky than my arrow crab? LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, Tony Bologna said:

Double creepy!

I was going to wait until Halloween before I posted on Zer0's thread but I could't hold back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So nothing has really changed, tank is still chugging along. Battling a small GHA outbreak which is pretty annoying, but it hasn’t exploded in growth or anything, probably because my nutrient levels are relatively low. One thing I noticed over the past few days was that my return chamber water level kept rising, I thought my ATO was acting up so I turned it off but the water level kept rising. Then I also noticed that the water surface in the display was pretty placid, which is strange because usually it’s turbulent. I figured everything was probably related to the return pump, even though it wasn’t making any weird noises or anything like that. 

So I took everything apart and found this inside the pump. Those are all dead baby nassarius snails, with their shells blocking up the impeller housing. Took a little while to get them all out, but the pump is back up to full speed and functionality lol.

BD0E6BF1-A2AB-428B-A8B8-510E25821667.jpeg

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
50 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

So nothing has really changed, tank is still chugging along. Battling a small GHA outbreak which is pretty annoying, but it hasn’t exploded in growth or anything, probably because my nutrient levels are relatively low. One thing I noticed over the past few days was that my return chamber water level kept rising, I thought my ATO was acting up so I turned it off but the water level kept rising. Then I also noticed that the water surface in the display was pretty placid, which is strange because usually it’s turbulent. I figured everything was probably related to the return pump, even though it wasn’t making any weird noises or anything like that. 

So I took everything apart and found this inside the pump. Those are all dead baby nassarius snails, with their shells blocking up the impeller housing. Took a little while to get them all out, but the pump is back up to full speed and functionality lol.

BD0E6BF1-A2AB-428B-A8B8-510E25821667.jpeg

Holy bat shells, LOOK BATMAN! THE PENQUIN STRIKES AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME HE IS LEAVING SHELLS BEHIND AS HE ESCAPES BACK TO THE OCEAN!

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Noodle died today. I took the lid off this morning to remove a snail that was lodged in the water level hole in the false wall, and I forgot to put it back on. It wasn’t until I went to feed the tank today and noticed that Noodle was nowhere to be found. I found him on the floor behind the tank, dried up. 

I’m so angry

• Sad 7
17 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Noodle died today. I took the lid off this morning to remove a snail that was lodged in the water level hole in the false wall, and I forgot to put it back on. It wasn’t until I went to feed the tank today and noticed that Noodle was nowhere to be found. I found him on the floor behind the tank, dried up. 

I’m so angry

Really Sorry man...it was a honest mistake we've all been there 😞

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know I’ve mentioned it a few times, but I have a good picture to describe what happens with snails and the false wall in this tank, and why it’s either shitty design, an oversight, or just bad luck. The shell of the nassarius snails just happen to be the perfect size to plug the hole, but really anything else that crawls/slides/walks over it causes the same issue: the water level in the return chamber drops completely, filling up the display more than it should be. This then trips the ATO sensor, which just continues dumping fresh water into the return chamber until either it fully fills it up, diluting the salinity too much, or the ATO failsafe triggers and cuts off the water supply.

Even if I shut the return pump off, the snails can’t free themselves, so I have to go in there and free them manually… Which means taking the lid off and putting it back on. And this really happens a lot. I pull snails out of that hole at least twice a day.

F2BA2F34-B2C2-4B63-AB48-2B548321B2D8.jpeg

• Wow 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
On 8/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, Zer0 said:

I know I’ve mentioned it a few times, but I have a good picture to describe what happens with snails and the false wall in this tank, and why it’s either shitty design, an oversight, or just bad luck. The shell of the nassarius snails just happen to be the perfect size to plug the hole, but really anything else that crawls/slides/walks over it causes the same issue: the water level in the return chamber drops completely, filling up the display more than it should be. This then trips the ATO sensor, which just continues dumping fresh water into the return chamber until either it fully fills it up, diluting the salinity too much, or the ATO failsafe triggers and cuts off the water supply.

Even if I shut the return pump off, the snails can’t free themselves, so I have to go in there and free them manually… Which means taking the lid off and putting it back on. And this really happens a lot. I pull snails out of that hole at least twice a day.

F2BA2F34-B2C2-4B63-AB48-2B548321B2D8.jpeg

So, let me understand this correctly.  The return drain gets snails that go over it to eat algae but then they get stuck in the drain cuasing the return pump area to drop in water becasue not enough display water making through your AIO, so you ATO turns on to make up for this gap and the salinity thus goes down?  Are you sure it is the drain and not the filter floss getting clogged?  Mine gets clogged up so the surface scum build ups and I can see it, as soon as I clean the fliter floss the surface scum is gone and I am back to normal.  But how can snails block the holes/grates?  Are we talking about turbo snails?  Or a bunh of Astrea that cover the smaall grate?

Not quite. The snails don’t go over the divider and in to the return chamber. In the false wall, there are two holes drilled all the way through it, one located in the overflow section and one located in the return section. I assume these are to level out the water in both the back chambers and the display when the return pump gets turned off. When the holes get clogged or plugged, the water level in the return chamber starts dropping, I can only guess this is because the return pump is actually sucking water through that hole from the display. This explains why things get stuck in it so easily, and why the snails can’t free themselves, because there is negative pressure from the pump basically keeping them stuck fast to the hole.