Pod Your Reef

Zer0's JBJ RL-10 AIO Cube

Zer0

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I need to get your camera, I love the macros.  I have an android phone that does great video by bad for macros 

Did you look at the two Kasa power strips?  I feel for the price point they are much needed rather than just a regular power strip. 

Since Digital Aquatics left, nobody has catered to our systems the nanos.  Appex is way to complicated, too expensive and made for large system, not our 12 gallon systems.

For that I tell you, encourage you to pick up either the 3 or 6 outlet power strip for your complete control via a awesome App from your phone.

20210314_105728~2.jpg

20210314_105839_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I love tanks with white stands...... they look so crisp and clean. 

Following along. 😊

Thanks for tagging along! Pretty much all of my previous stands have been black, figured I would go with white this time. I definitely do not regret it!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I need to get your camera, I love the macros.  I have an android phone that does great video by bad for macros 

Did you look at the two Kasa power strips?  I feel for the price point they are much needed rather than just a regular power strip. 

Since Digital Aquatics left, nobody has catered to our systems the nanos.  Appex is way to complicated, too expensive and made for large system, not our 12 gallon systems.

For that I tell you, encourage you to pick up either the 3 or 6 outlet power strip for your complete control via a awesome App from your phone.

20210314_105728~2.jpg

20210314_105839_HDR~2.jpg

Yup I just bought the 3 outlet version. I'll find a use for it even if not used on my tank. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
14 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Yup I just bought the 3 outlet version. I'll find a use for it even if not used on my tank. Thanks for the suggestion!

Use it to control your cheato light, or you can just purchase just one single one that will do it for $9 bucks.

KasaHS100.jpg

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I love tanks with white stands...... they look so crisp and clean. 

Following along. 😊

If you look at Zer0 avatar, that is us we are twins he has my exact setup!  We like white!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went back to my lfs to pick up some live rock rubble as well as some empty shells for my two hermit crabs. Wound up picking up a couple other things. They had a magician paly frag with 6 polyps for $30, so I couldn't turn that down. They also had a nice looking alveopora frag for $15, about the size of a quarter(USD). It looked really cute so I had to pick it up. They also recently had some of their nassarius snails have babies, so there were these super tiny nassarius snails all over the place, so I got two of them for $6. They're tiny and adorable lmao

I'll take some photos of everything when they aren't all pissed off from being glued down.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Nice macros!  Do you have a picture of the reef as whole, I would like to see where the corals are placed and how the rocks look?  Also want to see how that camera does with regular photos for detail etc.  I am in the market to purchase one this year for my business.

Thanks,

MG

• Thanks 1

Thank you! I can take a FTS later today or tomorrow. I probably should do that anyway as it's been a little while since I took one.

One thing I will mention though, is that the 77D is like $700-900 new, depending on where you buy it from, and for that price, I would just buy one of the nice new DSLRs from Canon, or Nikon if they're your thing. I bought the 77D new a little over a year after it had been released. If I was going to buy a new camera right now, I would probably go with one of the new models, as they are bound to have more and newer features available that the 77D doesn't. Just something to consider!

• Thanks 1

I still don't know how to take a proper FTS, sorry for my shitty attempt lol

51043806412_8fcb2b522c_k.jpg

51042985718_519ddcde54_k.jpg

51043717706_cb16c713ac_k.jpg

51043807252_cec0a46227_k.jpg

51043718261_f403058c73_k.jpg

51043807932_0d3271c714_k.jpg

51043808242_0603810c47_k.jpg

I didn't clean the tank or prepare it for a FTS though, sorry about that. I'm kind of in the middle of stuff, trying to see if either hermit will grab a new shell, I still haven't decided on where I want to place that mushroom because I'm worried about it taking over if it decides it likes where I put it. I have to move around some of the live rock rubble I got yesterday, and, I have no idea where the baby nassarius snails are lol. They also haven't come out yet during feeding time. Maybe they up and died in my sandbed, who knows.

The FTS's were taken with a 50mm prime lens, the other shots were taken with my 18-55mm.

Edit: Okay one nassarius popped out, so they're both probably okay, hiding under the rocks/sand somewhere possibly.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
6 hours ago, Zer0 said:

I still don't know how to take a proper FTS, sorry for my shitty attempt lol

51043806412_8fcb2b522c_k.jpg

51042985718_519ddcde54_k.jpg

51043717706_cb16c713ac_k.jpg

51043807252_cec0a46227_k.jpg

51043718261_f403058c73_k.jpg

51043807932_0d3271c714_k.jpg

51043808242_0603810c47_k.jpg

I didn't clean the tank or prepare it for a FTS though, sorry about that. I'm kind of in the middle of stuff, trying to see if either hermit will grab a new shell, I still haven't decided on where I want to place that mushroom because I'm worried about it taking over if it decides it likes where I put it. I have to move around some of the live rock rubble I got yesterday, and, I have no idea where the baby nassarius snails are lol. They also haven't come out yet during feeding time. Maybe they up and died in my sandbed, who knows.

The FTS's were taken with a 50mm prime lense, the other shots were taken with my 18-55mm.

Edit: Okay one nassarius popped out, so they're both probably okay, hiding under the rocks/sand somewhere possibly.

Your camera is dead on with the FTS, and I really will take the information you told me when it comes time to upgrade to a camera.  Tanks a lot!  🙂

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, JR! said:

man what a beautiful start. this thing is gonna grow in great.

I like the rock formation, if the corals take off in one year from today with proper dosing, and good husbandry it is going to look spectacular!

• Like 1

Went to scope out a lfs I had never been to before, didn't plan on buying anything, but the place was amazing and had some incredible stuff I just couldn't leave without lol

50996872064_93325acfad_k.jpg

51047512402_4ba433d5cc_k.jpg

51047427196_42293f6b2c_k.jpg

51047427296_1cbaab042a_k.jpg

50996872509_f3afd2e4b8_k.jpg

50996872604_16a885ad45_k.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Just wanted to make note of a couple things; Decided to test out a new Salifert dKH test kit, results were 7 - 8, which I'm okay with. So far, all of the coral look happy, good polyp extension and nothing is closed or angry looking. I did however notice that a single polyp of my alveopora was floating around in the tank, no stalk attached to it, just the polyp portion. The frag has good polyp extension, so I'm not entirely sure why that one was floating around. Happened sometime during the night.

I also now have 3 different pellet type fish food, and the blenny doesn't seem to like any of them. He'll suck it in, then spit it out a couple seconds later and then ignore it. Seems like he only likes frozen food, Spirulina specifically, which is pretty annoying because I would like to switch off frozen foods.

All other inverts seem okay. Nitrates are in the < 10ppm. Would like to see it somewhere around 5ppm, but if everything is happy, then it doesn't bother me. Haven't tested for phosphates yet, maybe sometime this weekend just to see where they are.

• Like 1

Bit of an update:

I've added the Nero 3 to the tank as an experiment, so far it's going okay. I like that it allows me to more randomize the flow from the return pump, which also means that directional flow is no longer creating sand dunes. I have it on randomized mode, with a high variance between 1% and 20% power. I'll keep it in there unless I feel like it doesn't benefit the inhabitants at all, or if it is detrimental. 

I also removed everything from frag plugs and placed them where I hope will be their permanent positions. Everything looks nice and happy, except for the mushroom, which I don't think enjoys its spot too much because of the flow, but I don't care at the moment. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it anyways.

I also have a coral shipment from TSA being delivered on Tuesday. Had I known about the lfs I went to on Wednesday, I probably wouldn't have made the online purchase, but hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure it will all work out though lol

Some more photos I liked in particular. Thanks for looking.

51055352508_7f066520c4_k.jpg

51056160392_2a7ac14b53_k.jpg

51056160692_39d4fd8700_k.jpg

51055353288_acb4423365_k.jpg

I've also decided to name the tailspot blenny, Noodle.

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here is the Nero3 at 40% vs 100% power.  I use the app feature that allows you to choose 1min, 10, 30 or 1 hour of time at 100%.  I use the 1 minute to kick up the detritus up to my filter.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Sealybomb said:

Real nice setup you have there! Question for you..... how have you managed to keep all your rock so pristine looking?

It's honestly not by choice lol. I wouldn't mind to see it have some algae or color up a bit instead of looking dry as bone. I would imagine it still looks as white as it does because it's still rather new. The glass has been getting pretty green and brown though, I had to use the magnet cleaner on it today because it's too much for only 2 trochus snails, and it was annoying me.

• Like 1

Still, very nice looking 😎 so far I have only been cleaning 2 sides of mine but the rear is starting to get a bit “wavey” so is now probably to long for my snails... will be getting scrubbed soonish.

following along by the way 👍

• Like 1

Just wanted to document this here for posterity.

Looks like I may have caused a bacterial bloom, which has pissed off some coral. Originally I had 0 phosphates and nitrates, so I cut the time I gave light to the chaeto in the back chamber to 2 hours, and upped the amount of food I gave both the fish and the coral. Everything seemed okay for a couple days, but yesterday I think I may have fed way too much because I woke up to slightly irritated coral, mildly cloudy water, and some elevated levels in my water parameters. In the course of just a day or two, my nitrates and phosphates went from 0 to 4.34 and .22, respectively.

I also messed around with my light intensity since I got the PAR meter I am renting, so I think that probably pissed off coral even more. The fish and inverts seem unaffected by the bloom. My teal stylophora mini-colony is the most pissed off, with basically no polyp extension. Hasn't lost its color, it's just not all fuzzy anymore.

So, I swapped out all of the filter floss, added activated carbon to the media rack, and did I 2 gallon water change and will probably do a 5 gallon water change tomorrow morning. I also increased the fuge light to 5 hours instead of 2 hours.

On a positive note I guess, is that I believe I've passed the diatom phase - the sand is back to being nice and white again and the glass doesn't accumulate algae as fast, which is nice. I also picked up a nice mini-colony of aquacultured metallic red goniopora and it might be my favorite coral currently. I'll get pictures of things once I get the tank under control.

• Wow 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
2 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Just wanted to document this here for posterity.

Looks like I may have caused a bacterial bloom, which has pissed off some coral. Originally I had 0 phosphates and nitrates, so I cut the time I gave light to the chaeto in the back chamber to 2 hours, and upped the amount of food I gave both the fish and the coral. Everything seemed okay for a couple days, but yesterday I think I may have fed way too much because I woke up to slightly irritated coral, mildly cloudy water, and some elevated levels in my water parameters. In the course of just a day or two, my nitrates and phosphates went from 0 to 4.34 and .22, respectively.

I also messed around with my light intensity since I got the PAR meter I am renting, so I think that probably pissed off coral even more. The fish and inverts seem unaffected by the bloom. My teal stylophora mini-colony is the most pissed off, with basically no polyp extension. Hasn't lost its color, it's just not all fuzzy anymore.

So, I swapped out all of the filter floss, added activated carbon to the media rack, and did I 2 gallon water change and will probably do a 5 gallon water change tomorrow morning. I also increased the fuge light to 5 hours instead of 2 hours.

On a positive note I guess, is that I believe I've passed the diatom phase - the sand is back to being nice and white again and the glass doesn't accumulate algae as fast, which is nice. I also picked up a nice mini-colony of aquacultured metallic red goniopora and it might be my favorite coral currently. I'll get pictures of things once I get the tank under control.

Thanks for sharing....