ReefCleaners.org

Zer0's JBJ RL-10 AIO Cube

Zer0

Unfortunately, the damselfish has passed away. I woke up one day and it had a damaged fin and eye, and over the next two days it looked like it was getting better. However, this morning he was no where to be found. I don’t currently know what caused the damage. My only theories are that it was either a hermit crab, or one of the particularly giant bristleworms that are in the tank. 

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

I struggle with the idea that it would be a hermit or worm. They are scavengers. What else is in the tank?

I find it hard to believe as well. I have a cleaner shrimp, a spotted porcelain crab, two astrea snails, 4 scarlet reef hermits, and 2 money cowries. Aside from a rogue hermit, there isn’t anything else in the tank that could do that kind of damage I think, other than perhaps the bristleworms. I have a few that are BIG.

At one of the lfs near me, in their ~300 gallon display tank, they have this giant baseball sized clownfish of some sort. I don’t know what type it is, but it was mean looking lol. I think it’s some type of Maroon. Very cool.

51930884565_b0b591136e_b.jpg

51929279937_c5de9e0bd0_b.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

Gold nugget maroon methinks, big and angry like any maroon lol...

You are correct, people over on r2r identified it as such. Was the biggest clown I have ever seen! 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Was the biggest clown I have ever seen! 

Old and overfed female clownfish can get so, so much larger than most people are used to thinking about.
They go from our nano fish to big, beefy monsters.
I've seen Percs and Occy which easily cleared 4" and were thicker than tangs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update. The big teal stylo colony I had since the beginning decided to up and die on me basically overnight. Turned brown, then white, over the course of 36 hours. I pulled the skeleton out. What a bummer. I don’t really understand why it died, I haven’t changed anything or dosed anything and my nitrates and phosphates are pretty consistent. The strangest thing is that every single other coral is looking great and has the best coloring and PE I’ve seen in a long time. I also looked over the stylo skeleton to see if there were any pests or parasites, but I found nothing. 

• Sad 2

And here is the tank today. Big open spot where the stylo was. Not sure if i’m going to put something there or leave it open for the other sticks to grow out. Also still battling some dinos. It’s not as bad as it used to be, but it just will not go away no matter what I do.

The talbot damsel also moves around the sandbed a lot, and has made a couple burrows. It was a bit irritating at first, but since he’s settled down moving things around, it seems he’s more comfortable. I’m overall okay with it.

I also went rummaging through some old boxes and found my Nimble Nano from back in the day. The magnet rattles around a bit, but still works great.

The toadstool is also getting pretty big lol

3B797D39-2246-4362-B827-2EAD50646DE6.jpeg

• Like 3

Noticed something funny/interesting today and just want to write it down. Apparently the talbot doesn’t like it when the nassarius snails climb up the glass lol. They make it up about a quarter way and then he will peck them and knock them off the glass. Very funny. I’m going to try and get a clip of his behavior next time.

I’ve also named him Rupert lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just got a custom lid from KrakenReef yesterday. Gotta say, this is a fantastic piece of work. Worth every single penny. Not sure a better lid could be designed lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
IMG_2828

So I’m fairly certain I have defeated dinos. I think upping the feeding to three times a day has probably helped keep nitrates and phosphates at desirable levels. Now, I have this cyano that seems to have mutated into a strain that is resistant to chemiclean lol 

• Like 2

After spending months getting rid of the hair algae which included using vibrant and the subsequent dino battle because of it, it’s now making a comeback. So annoying, and I know it’s going to turn in to a problem. I’m not sure what to do at this point other than let it do whatever. Sigh.

Here’s an FTS for today

009477D5-A974-4CB3-A7E2-538218AD79F5.jpeg

• Like 4
teamschreiba

I had this after my Dino battle and ended up getting a bunch of blue leg hermits and they demolished the GHA. I gave some of them away after the initial clean up and they seem to keep it in check.

Your tank still looks good though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

What happened to the frag you had on the back/left wall?  It was their last month and now it's gone.  😞

It’s a bit hard to see, but I moved it to the top of the scape, where the teal stylo used to be. It’s making a slow comeback, it stopped losing tissue a couple weeks ago. 

• Like 2

Thought you guys might find this interesting. My tank has little oddities here and there, but this is a very prolific sponge that has doubled in size since I started dosing phyto. It’s pretty cool and doesn’t seem to bother the goni.

4928B3FF-1C2B-4B25-9899-7174B7A59795.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...