SaltCritters.com

Zer0's JBJ RL-10 AIO Cube

Zer0

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, ECLS Reefer said:

So cute! They have such giant personalities!

How much waste do they produce for a 10 gallon tank?

ECLS Reefer
14 minutes ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

How much waste do they produce for a 10 gallon tank?

Waste? Not much…. They’ve only got so much of a GI track after all. They’re not like tangs which are on par with my husbands always pooping horse

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

How many fish total are in your 10 gallon and what are your nitrates each testing you do?  How much cheato are you harvesting?  In balance of the PPM you have of both phosphates and nitrates?

The tailspot blenny is the only fish in the tank. Last time I tested my nitrates were 2.73ppm and my phosphates were undetectable. My chaeto hasn’t been growing all that much, if at all, so I don’t think it’s doing anything at the moment. At some point it seemed to have turned into a nest of acoel flatworms, and I think the chaeto was their food source or something because it just kept shrinking over time until I took out what was left and completely cleaned it out and siphoned out as many flatworms as possible from the chaeto and the back chambers. 

I’ve been trying to feed a bit heavier to bring nutrient levels up, so now I feed twice a day, but so far phosphate and nitrates are still super low.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
15 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

The tailspot blenny is the only fish in the tank. Last time I tested my nitrates were 2.73ppm and my phosphates were undetectable. My chaeto hasn’t been growing all that much, if at all, so I don’t think it’s doing anything at the moment. At some point it seemed to have turned into a nest of acoel flatworms, and I think the chaeto was their food source or something because it just kept shrinking over time until I took out what was left and completely cleaned it out and siphoned out as many flatworms as possible from the chaeto and the back chambers. 

I’ve been trying to feed a bit heavier to bring nutrient levels up, so now I feed twice a day, but so far phosphate and nitrates are still super low.

I have 4 fish in my 12 gallon same volume as you, 10 ppm nitrates all SPS corals only.  I had my cheato growing well and a good balance, but because of STN/RTN, I removed the cheato to treat the tank.  But Cheato is a good balance, are you doing to get more fish to reach a better balance of nitrate and some phosphates, you are kinda of low with zero undetectable phosphates with very little buffer in nitrates.  If you do get some more fish you might have a better balance.

2 minutes ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I have 4 fish in my 12 gallon same volume as you, 10 ppm nitrates all SPS corals only.  I had my cheato growing well and a good balance, but because of STN/RTN, I removed the cheato to treat the tank.  But Cheato is a good balance, are you doing to get more fish to reach a better balance of nitrate and some phosphates, you are kinda of low with zero undetectable phosphates with very little buffer in nitrates.  If you do get some more fish you might have a better balance.

I was considering adding a talbots damsel, but I haven’t really made up my mind. Things are going well and I don’t know if I want to add anything and mess it up, ya know?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, Zer0 said:

I was considering adding a talbots damsel, but I haven’t really made up my mind. Things are going well and I don’t know if I want to add anything and mess it up, ya know?

I have a 2nd 12 gallon LPS tank and I added 4 fish in that.  One died, since I think the hitchhiker pistol shrimp might have killed him.  So, I plan on getting tail spot blenny to replace him and have 4 fish total, they are all gobies and very small.

Go with your gut feeling and stay conservative, if you found that sweet spot. 

I feed every day frozen brine, but I break up a cube into six parts and feed 1/6th of cube everyday.  How much does your blenny eat?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I have a 2nd 12 gallon LPS tank and I added 4 fish in that.  One died, since I think the hitchhiker pistol shrimp might have killed him.  So, I plan on getting tail spot blenny to replace him and have 4 fish total, they are all gobies and very small.

Go with your gut feeling and stay conservative, if you found that sweet spot. 

I feed every day frozen brine, but I break up a cube into six parts and feed 1/6th of cube everyday.  How much does your blenny eat?

The blenny actually does eat a fair amount, at least mine does. But ever since I started feeding twice a day, he doesn’t eat as much, which makes sense lol. But yeah he’s a pig lol

So the tank is doing well, I just recently bought a Kamoer dosing pump which I want to set up soon. I did a 50% water change on Saturday and I'm going to wait two weeks and then test all of my water parameters again and try to come up with some kind of element consumption metrics so I know how much to dose. I wanted to start off with dosing Kalk+2 because that seems to have everything I need wrapped up in one powder, and is a lot easier to get than AllForReef. Also seems like a safe starting point. Part of the reason I wanted to start dosing is because I can't seem to get my nitrates and phosphates out of the ultra low range, so I figured I could start dosing some key elements and then only do water changes once every 2 weeks or perhaps even once a month. That way I can get my nutrient levels up without having to specifically dose nitrates and phosphates, which isn't something I really want to do. We'll see how that works out.

Also I ordered some stuff from reefcleaners; a spotted porcelain crab(originally was a crinoid squat lobster but apparently it didn't make it before they could ship it, so I substituted with the porcelain crab), a fuzzy chiton, two limpets, two money cowries, and a reticulated sea star. Everyone looks great so far, and over the next couple weeks I'll be trying to get some decent photos of all of them.

For now I'll leave another shot of one of my gonis

51250657715_dcd0d3b872_k.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 2

So the tank was 4 months old on the 12th, I wanted to take an FTS but kinda got sidetracked and forgot about it. Today the tank was looking pretty fluffy and I went to get a couple new things from my LFS. One of these days I’ll figure out how to take a good FTS with my DSLR, but for now the iPhone works well. Also, I got my first acro today, I believe a yellow tip, a nice sized and clean looking frag for $30. If it does well, I would really like to get a nice millepora, they’re one of my favorite coral but I’ve never been super interested in having to care for the high-maintenance stonies. 

And the alveopora has gotten huge compared to when I first got it! It’s like the size of a baseball now, I love it!

A5882B87-502B-4BE2-AE96-95AA429D06B1.jpeg

B82E30D6-B130-4CD5-965E-0E3F84175726.jpeg

• Like 2

Something tore apart and killed the reticulated brittle star. Not sure what since I don’t really have anything big enough to do it, but it was all mangled and its legs were kinda ripped apart. Poor thing. Everything else in the tank looks fine, I wonder if it was dying and just got finished off by the hermits and my army of baby nassarius snails. RIP.

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, growsomething said:

That looks awesome.  Not too much, not too little.

Thank you! I’m pretty much at the point where I might just start letting everything grow in and not buy anything else. Have a bit of gha issue that I’m thinking of trying to get rid of with flux while it’s still a small amount so hopefully I won’t get too much of a spike in nutrients. Not sure just yet. 

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
3 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Thank you! I’m pretty much at the point where I might just start letting everything grow in and not buy anything else. Have a bit of gha issue that I’m thinking of trying to get rid of with flux while it’s still a small amount so hopefully I won’t get too much of a spike in nutrients. Not sure just yet. 

Smart move to let your corals grow out, I should be following your lead.  Your rocks are so far away from the sides, minus that you use the back wall.  I love it how it looks, I should have gone with way less live rock and then just one nice big piece allowing my corals to grow out.  

I run the risk if they grow to the sides, I don't have any room and need to cut them back but if they grow straight up towards the light I have plenty of room but I know that they could go anywhere.

I see that you are trying acropora since I see the plug on the frag rack, awesome!  I have room for frag racks on both sides of my tank but no place to put them once they start to grow. LOL

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Smart move to let your corals grow out, I should be following your lead.  Your rocks are so far away from the sides, minus that you use the back wall.  I love it how it looks, I should have gone with way less live rock and then just one nice big piece allowing my corals to grow out.  

I run the risk if they grow to the sides, I don't have any room and need to cut them back but if they grow straight up towards the light I have plenty of room but I know that they could go anywhere.

I see that you are trying acropora since I see the plug on the frag rack, awesome!  I have room for frag racks on both sides of my tank but no place to put them once they start to grow. LOL

Yeah I’m kinda just winging it with the acro, just want to see how it does and how it grows, assuming I don’t kill it of course lol.

Also, I managed to get a cool shot of one of the money cowries. Has very interesting growths on it:

7B9C7B84-7042-4FE5-B129-AD05005380EE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1