SaltCritters.com

Pico Aquascape Thoughts

aclman88

Wanting some feedback on my different possible aquascapes.

This was the tank before:

IMG_0734.thumb.jpg.7da0d64e36ed988378102c4636e0dd3c.jpg 

I took out a massive piece of rock on the left because it took up too much of the tank and didn't leave much room for corals.  It might look nice now, but is actually learned forward and shadowed most of the sand bed in front of it.   The LPS have all since moved to a larger tank.  This tank I am thinking will be mostly softies and some LPS such as acans or a small elegance to act as a centerpiece.   I am aiming for a minimalist scape to allow more placement for corals on the sand or to have small islands.  I also prefer the minimalist as the tank has no backing expect the wall behind it, which gives the tank a sense of depth.  

Below are some different layouts I tired.  I like the idea of an arch or overhang.  I also have a lot go different rocks I could break up to add to this.

IMG_8128.thumb.JPG.862a32aef1a3283f34e7476d0d156ca5.JPG

IMG_8131.thumb.JPG.593b539c7e275239a4110872825fd5a5.JPG

IMG_8133.thumb.JPG.843cdcac50e89b9498fba18dd120d356.JPG

I am leaning towards the last one, since the rounded arch its a little more natural and it leaves the entire front and left open for islands or corals to sit on the sand.  Any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

I am leaning towards the last one, since the rounded arch its a little more natural and it leaves the entire front and left open for islands or corals to sit on the sand.  Any thoughts?

my thoughts exactly! i like it. Just make sure it's stable and that you have enough room to clean the glass

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, paulsz said:

my thoughts exactly! i like it. Just make sure it's stable and that you have enough room to clean the glass

Thanks.  I will leave about .5 in to get my scraper behind the rock work.  It is current curing in a bucket but the rock will be epoxied and superglued together.

Here is the rock in the tank.  I am rethinking the scape and wanted some advice. 

First option is to keep the current scape:

1742084987_IMG-8294(1).thumb.jpg.52f025101c333de103af1651c02c5eb9.jpg

Second option is to keep the arch, move the rubble on the left on the left arch and create a small pillar on the left. 

IMG-8297.jpg.60deef1d9d931941219a5f6015653d13.jpg

The third option is to remove the arch but keep the pillar on the right and create a second pillar on the left. 

IMG-8296.jpg.06ba4824f86fd4b09275480045f560c6.jpg

Thoughts?  I am open to any and all suggestions.

Calling @mitten_reef, @jservedio, and @Clown79 as well for your thoughts and opinions as I love the aquascapes you have created. I know that I need to leave room for coral to grow in, and I also didn't like my first scape from last year since it was too bulky.  I like negative space and want to incorporate it so the tank doesn't feel too crowded.

I like the current one. 
But if I must tinker with it, then

• scoot the left island closer to the left leg of the arch, cluster it together to create a more substantial base for both the rock work and more coral placement. Leave the departed left sandbed area open afterward. 
  • Pillars are cool. I’d go with the 3rd option-ish. For visual interest, try not to make the two pillars too similar in height. Since this tank was lit with one AI Prime, you’ll lose that center of light sweet spot a little bit if you have to share light between two pillars, just keep that in mind. 
  • Thanks 1

I agree. Current setup, beef up the left island a little. Maybe add another of those wall hangers instead. Something to fill more space on the left, basically. 

• Like 1