Top Shelf Aquatics

SaltySheep’s Lagoon- Comments welcomed

Saltysheep

Well I haven’t updated this in over a year tank is still up and running decently well. 
I thought I would update now because I’m treat my little wrasse Giles for popeye. This will help me keep track but also in case others run into the same issue.  Giles developed pop eye about a month ago. After observing him for a couple days determined it was not flukes since they were not seen and all other fish were healthy and not suffering from the same ailment. My little blue assessor and my barnacle blenny are doing just fine. I started treat Giles with antibiotics mixed with focus into food. Within a week the eye was no longer bulging or cloudy but the pigmentation had changed. A couple days later after stopping the medicated food his eye started swelling again with no clouding. I started the food back up but it’s been slow progress. So today I set up a QT tank and treated the water in hopes that this will prove to be more efficient. I will feed non medicated food to make sure I’m not over doing it since I’ve read wrasse can be sensitive. I am using kanaplex and will follow the directions listed on the box. He’s might favorite fish so hopefully all goes according to plan. Moving him from the DT to QT tank was easy because he likes to take food from the forceps so he followed the forceps into breeder box. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Giles spent most of the first 24 hrs laying down probably from stress in a new environment. His color looked really good and he was breathing normally so I wasn’t too concerned. It’s a pretty common thing he does where he lays still so much I think he is dead until he moves. Today he started swimming a little more and has been eating some pellets so I’m not too worried. Tonight I’ll do a water change and add the 2nd dose tomorrow morning. 

• Like 2

Giles just had his 4th dose today and while it is is shrinking and the color is coming back to his eye (there is zero cloudiness) it’s still not completely back to normal size. I have read on HumbleFish’s website that eye issues can drag on so I was kind of expecting this. I will continue dosing until I see more progress. Giles is eating really well so the kanaplex is not effecting appetite and he has come out of his shell again and is taking food from forceps. My routine is to do a water change the same day he gets a new dose. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Giles has had 8 doses so far. His eye shrunken back dramatically after the first 3 doses but he could not rotate it forward as well as he can his healthy eye. After 8 doses he can now fully rotate it forward. The pigmentation is slowly changing back. The entire ring around the pupil is becoming visible. I think k my plan is to stop dosing at this point. Monitor for a couple days to make sure swelling does not return before adding him back to the DT. Here’s a couple pics taken at doses 5 which would have been the 10th day in the hospital tank. 

DA1688B8-6FA4-4C17-BC60-F3F6C6AE3362.jpeg

3205A9AA-F2CA-4799-8999-F250F8C2DC36.jpeg

3A9F716F-1F62-4AD7-BEF2-EA267496691C.jpeg

E6E7FC19-5737-495C-BAD7-467E17CF8F8C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Saltysheep

Well Giles completed his week of observation with no meds and his eye has not regressed. The coloration continues to improve so he I back in the DT. The first picture attached is his good eye; see how it has a nice clear ring around the pupil. The 2nd picture is his bad eye where the ring is reappearing but not as well defined since that’s the one that was infected. 

Unfortunately I lost my fish Zander who was in my 10 gal nuvo.  He jumped out of one of the corners of the lid where the old power head cord used to run through.  He was the only fish in that tank so I decided to move all the coral and cleaning crew over to my lagoon tank. I will update with FT pic of the lagoon with the new coral later.

024E8657-DEC4-456F-B747-BB8EF975B1DF.jpeg

9007C19E-18B9-4F93-A0C0-8A46DD925ADC.jpeg

• Like 3
Saltysheep
10 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I’m glad your treatment worked for Giles!! 

Thank you ! Me too yes my favorite fish. I was worried he was going to cyclops if that poor eye got and more swollen.

• Like 2