inTank Media Baskets

Efrain's ADA 60p - bringing the fuzz

EfrainChicagoDeepdish

EfrainChicagoDeepdish
Hey all you cool fish and larva.  

Ever since I was pizza dough, I had tanks.  When met San Fran Rice A'Roni I had an empty tank in the closet from a postponed dream and had moved on from the salt life for the time being.  Much like a movie where you can never escape your past,  I decided to take RAR on a date to some fish stores.  Yeah, I'm romantic like that.  

Rice being supportive like pilaf, encouraged me to start up my never used and dusty ADA 60P.  

This tank got wet in August 2018 and in its run experienced Chad the polyclad, a lot of SPS skeletons, four lights ( @evilc66's 38 par bulb from the Nano Reef days of 2011, Current Orbit IC, Current Marine Dual Pro, and an AI Hydra HD26), montipora nudibranches, and a heater that quit (caught it within the day so no loss.)   The corals seen here in my tank now find themselves in Mercury (IM80) which is our sixth tank. 

Tank 1 will be getting a makeover in the coming weeks where I double down on my inability to keep SPS so wish me luck.

Here is the best/late picture of T1 prior to its transfer.  We kinda just started moving stuff and didn't take a final picture without frag racks so it is a true representation unlike Glamour Shots.

Lessons learned:  Live rock and hitchhikers are awesome; dip doesn't always work on nudibranches, but dipping every third day/getting a wrasse does; have something that notifies you of temperature issues; unless you want a bunch of fish tanks, don't take your SO on a date to LFS.  I have a lot more empty tanks in my closet - not complaining as I am blessed to have someone that enjoys my passion. 

Stay tuned to see how well I can do this tank journal thing, and the next story time about The Perks of Being a (Rock) Flower Tank also seen in the photo of the month contest.  Follow our other tanks Mercury and Calcium in @NoOneLikesADryTang's 
Two Tanks One Thread journal.  
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:
Hey all you cool fish and larva.  

Ever since I was pizza dough, I had tanks.  When met San Fran Rice A'Roni I had an empty tank in the closet from a postponed dream and had moved on from the salt life for the time being.  Much like a movie where you can never escape your past,  I decided to take RAR on a date to some fish stores.  Yeah, I'm romantic like that.  

Rice being supportive like pilaf, encouraged me to start up my never used and dusty ADA 60P.  

This tank got wet in August 2018 and in its run experienced Chad the polyclad, a lot of SPS skeletons, four lights ( @evilc66's 38 par bulb from the Nano Reef days of 2011, Current Orbit IC, Current Marine Dual Pro, and an AI Hydra HD26), montipora nudibranches, and a heater that quit (caught it within the day so no loss.)   The corals seen here in my tank now find themselves in Mercury (IM80) which is our sixth tank. 

Tank 1 will be getting a makeover in the coming weeks where I double down on my inability to keep SPS so wish me luck.

Here is the best/late picture of T1 prior to its transfer.  We kinda just started moving stuff and didn't take a final picture without frag racks so it is a true representation unlike Glamour Shots.

Lessons learned:  Live rock and hitchhikers are awesome; dip doesn't always work on nudibranches, but dipping every third day/getting a wrasse does; have something that notifies you of temperature issues; unless you want a bunch of fish tanks, don't take your SO on a date to LFS.  I have a lot more empty tanks in my closet - not complaining as I am blessed to have someone that enjoys my passion. 

Stay tuned to see how well I can do this tank journal thing, and the next story time about The Perks of Being a (Rock) Flower Tank also seen in the photo of the month contest.  Follow our other tanks Mercury and Calcium in @NoOneLikesADryTang's 

#justiceforchad

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Facts:

*I purchased this tank used in April 2014 and due to purchasing a house, it never go wet till August 2018.  It has a frosted back as part of its design.

*I hacked this IKEA Expedit to fit the window in a rental house and it can hold 600 pounds or so.  #OverEngineered

*I purchased two Par 38 LED lights for another tank I was building before I bought this tank (a LeeMar in the same dimensions that never got wet and was given away in 2011.)

SmartSelect_20200420-081847_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5a32660de89f5ed5907565d9295d60ad.jpg

*I wanted a new technology at the time called an EcoTech MP10.  I went to bid one on Ebay during a company Christmas party.  Retreating to my hotel room shortly before midnight I was mesmerized by a Shake Weight infomercial and missed out on even bidding.  I found on on the NR classifieds the next day. 

* I never bought nor saw another Shake Weight infomercial since.

*Tank 1 version 1 was inspired by @WV Reefer and ran no filtration other than filter floss.  The tank was fairly successful for being a mixed reef.  I did terrible at SPS.  I assume I kept it too clean via water changes.

*The SPS in the picture below was purchased in February 2019 and has grown from an extremely small frag.  I paid $12 in a local club auction and it was sold as an "unknown acro."  It is the only coral in T1V1 that was part of the rock structure and will be in the reboot of T1V2.

49821.thumb.jpeg.e3f2de6883015a368da15fdd88e02fc4.jpeg

*The rock you see was purchased in 2014 as well and has been through a move where it sat in a bucket of salt creep. 

*All livestock with the exception of the unknown acro has been living for months in an additional ADA 60P (we have three).

*All the Christmas Tree rocks have been a gift from San Fran Rice A'Roni

*T1V2 was established 2020/04/18.

49808.thumb.jpeg.31a807a079ed6c41130ddf30606a1791.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
On 4/17/2020 at 10:15 PM, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:
Follow our other tanks Mercury and Calcium in @NoOneLikesADryTang's 

following both threads on here + IG.  keep it funny, or I won't be back... 😄 

jk, thanks for indulging my request on your contest photo 😛.  

#justiceforchad....

• Like 2
EfrainChicagoDeepdish
@mitten_reef.  Oof. No pressure.  I have the creative juices going for the other thread.  I don't know if I have enough humor for this one.  I'll try. 

I expect this one to be lots of paranoia about RTN/STN and watching sticks grow centimeters over a year's time.  
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

@TatorTaco. Well now that my house doesn't look like a high school biology class with tanks and jars on every available countertop,  I hope I'll have the capacity to give the tank the attention needed.  Either way, thanks for joining. 

• Like 2
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Yesterday I did what everyone here does when they get home...I immediately checked on my multiple tanks where I noticed something was awry with T1V2.  My beloved Lindsea, the yellow coris wrasse, was missing.  A search party did not turn her up.

*her name is due to her swimming with sand on her nose

*when we first got her, I kept the tank covered and I'd remove when in the room.  One Saturday cartoon morning, after pulling the netting from the tank, I was vacuuming with a smile (ever notice that anything that has to do with household work has women having a grand ole time while chorin'?) and glanced over to see her swimming about.  Finished my vacuuming, proceeded to frown.  When I peered into the tank again, I did not see her, looked down, and there she was on my freshly cleaned floor.  Plopped her back into my tank.  Resumed grinning.

*she slept in the same place regardless of the tank's recent drastic layout change.

*she was a model citizen and was originally purchased to help eradicate my monitpora nudibranch issue

*she was our pet, the only fish in this tank, and will be sorely missed.

In other news, everything else is doing well.  Had to reglue the birdsnest (again) since I knocked it off the rock being clumsy, flooded my laundry room with RODI (again) after being forgetful, added some pieces of seeded rock from Calc into the Aquaclear, got another gorgonian.  Commence pictures.

20200429_173107.thumb.jpg.9a414d4fce3409a8de386c21b542ccce.jpg20200429_173607.thumb.jpg.aea56bfafbbbb6e853abf4917d6377ba.jpg

49819.thumb.jpeg.c29f896027a4ed68fad3e021c1b333d1.jpeg

49817.thumb.jpeg.239cb2baa1357b7272538ac5c75901c3.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Yesterday I did what everyone here does when they get home...I immediately checked on my multiple tanks where I noticed something was awry with T1V2.  My beloved Lindsea, the yellow coris wrasse, was missing.  A search party did not turn her up.

*her name is due to her swimming with sand on her nose

*when we first got her, I kept the tank covered and I'd remove when in the room.  One Saturday cartoon morning, after pulling the netting from the tank, I was vacuuming with a smile (ever notice that anything that has to do with household work has women having a grand ole time while chorin'?) and glanced over to see her swimming about.  Finished my vacuuming, proceeded to frown.  When I peered into the tank again, I did not see her, looked down, and there she was on my freshly cleaned floor.  Plopped her back into my tank.  Resumed grinning.

*she slept in the same place regardless of the tank's recent drastic layout change.

*she was a model citizen and was originally purchased to help eradicate my monitpora nudibranch issue

*she was our pet, the only fish in this tank, and will be sorely missed.

In other news, everything else is doing well.  Had to reglue the birdsnest (again) since I knocked it off the rock being clumsy, flooded my laundry room with RODI (again) after being forgetful, added some pieces of seeded rock from Calc into the Aquaclear, got another gorgonian.  Commence pictures.

20200429_173107.thumb.jpg.9a414d4fce3409a8de386c21b542ccce.jpg20200429_173607.thumb.jpg.aea56bfafbbbb6e853abf4917d6377ba.jpg

49819.thumb.jpeg.c29f896027a4ed68fad3e021c1b333d1.jpeg

49817.thumb.jpeg.239cb2baa1357b7272538ac5c75901c3.jpeg

Sorry to hear about Lindsey (like it), its always hard missing or losing a pet. Did Lindsey ever swim rapidly at the surface splashing water out of the tank to get your attention, that was mines favourite trick 🙄

In other news, wow those worms 😍

10 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

@Ratvan. No she didn't splash but it probably would've driven me crazy with the mess.  

Yours did it for food? 

yeah, she'd poke her head out the sand about 9am, fully emerge a few moments later. Usually around 1pm she'd start splashing for another feed. 

• Like 1
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Friday my local fish store had a "chorus" wrasse so I picked up Mar/Sea.  

20200504_170824.thumb.jpg.d565c87fcaac901b89c30b8522a70ac4.jpg

Sunday I moved over a Walt Disney that was purchased back in February in anticipation for starting T1 over.  

20200504_165136.thumb.jpg.85331843a218b043df0c303d71f99edf.jpg

Lastly, I have a scarlet hermit crab that has decided for the past few nights to set up camp up in the branches of the few decent sized SPS in my tank.  The floor is lava.20200504_062640.thumb.jpg.44613a6f0cdf1a61958c3f92ee55a1e6.jpg

20200505_051819.thumb.jpg.9b40214d453907188bd5f2a96775ab92.jpg

• Like 1
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

I've been dosing nitrate/phosphate in my top offs since I have always struggled with keeping my tanks too "clean".  I've also removed the filter floss in hopes to keep my Christmas trees feed.  

Test show my nitrates above 12 and below 25.   Thanks for the pinpoint Nyos nitrate.  Phosphate is at 0.015 on Hanna.  

Glued down an Athena Milli and moved over a Pink Cadillac, Seattle Sparkler Stag, PC Rainbow (no picture, how does that happen?).  Some horrible pictures.20200508_203651.thumb.jpg.5aefa7bc36d141fa5d6af7785363e817.jpg

20200510_174444.thumb.jpg.28f827b7c070048730d9f5b7d6bd43f5.jpg  

20200508_203711.thumb.jpg.ad6d1087cb6463302ff2ed74133fcd6f.jpg

20200508_203639.thumb.jpg.35a553ebf1a294905a17375c5a2f28ad.jpg

20200508_203731.thumb.jpg.60ed45dbf8966eff62be6f2c5839438b.jpg

• Like 3