Cultivated Reef

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang
50 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Good luck with your new fish. It is beautiful 

Thanks Deb! It is really pretty - as far as I can tell, it's transitioning in to a male (which get absolutely stunning once, they're fully male). Our local club president is one of the foremost experts on wrasses, so I'll get his thoughts on it the next I talk to him, to verify my suspicion. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

After letting this tank sit fallow for a few months, we’ve slowly started adding some coral. Just a couple zoa varieties and an Alveopora that I traded a buddy for, for a couple zoa frags. 

Here’s a quick shot I got when I happened to be next to Calcium, today and Harry Crabbick Junior was out. I think he was scoping out his next meal, and I interrupted that. 

54C2A3CB-8C58-455F-929A-CBA69055B70C.thumb.jpeg.93522418efae63839bc2725dcd7e5c29.jpeg

We’ve also added a few more Molly’s to the tank, and they are having babies. Apparently Martin Gaye plays when no one is home, in our element room. (Get it, Mercury and Calcium are our tanks names?!) I think the fish may be getting more lovin’ than anyone else in the house... Unless of course you count the tank keepers teenage son’s *ahem* self love

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Um.......................Martin......................... :unsure: now if were talking Marvin Gaye I can see that.......................you drinking....................... :wink: I am and and think I figured it out.................. :biggrin:

• Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
12 minutes ago, spectra said:

Um.......................Martin......................... :unsure: now if were talking Marvin Gaye I can see that.......................you drinking....................... :wink: I am and and think I figured it out.................. :biggrin:

You’ve never heard of his less sexy, can’t sing as well brother, Martin? The Molly’s don’t seem to mind. lol

I wish I could blame it on the booze... Sadly, it’s the damn iPad autocorrect. 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
ECLS Reefer
3 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You’ve never heard of his less sexy, can’t sing as well, Martin? The Molly’s don’t seem to mind. lol

I wish I could blame it on the booze... Sadly, it’s the damn iPad autocorrect. 😂😂😂

See that autocorrect thing is out to get us. It says all kinds of stuff I never intend, too!! 

NoOneLikesADryTang

Nothing like waiting until the last minute... Without further ado, it’s full tank shot Friday! 

July’s full tank shots: 

1EFFBE70-1C37-4D4F-BD22-9427585393B4.thumb.jpeg.5855b3c5a4fc5f32176005b5ad4bc42e.jpeg

DACB151E-C212-4642-9866-0B9EF9DB1618.jpeg.74683b4a499c587258de7f7fa83cfb32.jpeg

We haven’t been able to get any good shots of the baby Molly’s, but we’ll keep trying. They’re very small (a little smaller than a Tic Tac), and I’m sure make a delicious snack for gorilla crabs. 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Just a couple quick shots I took last night of Mercury, and the bubble tips. We’ve got three that really enjoy cuddling with each other, and one giant one that I wish would split. The rainbow (orange one) did a stroll through the whole tank last weekend, before deciding the water isn’t bluer on the other side of the tank, and cuddling back up with its friends. 

23D782F4-B3CE-4DB5-AA69-C786EB08EA9D.thumb.jpeg.a4ac048a5a1f2ef85378aaa323dcc6c9.jpeg

I’ve had to move a couple corals, because the giant BTA, was stinging them to death. It’s a beautiful species, but we’re losing about a 1/3 of the tank space because of these bubble tips. The clownfish sure love then though. 

7F42DCBB-661B-4E75-8E98-6612F2506484.thumb.jpeg.39c184c242abb44e23758b10f4bab825.jpeg

I may need to step up my game and try to talk @EfrainChicagoDeepdish in to setting up a bubble tip/clownfish tank. I’m guessing it’s more likely we’d see snow falling out of our window in July, before I could talk her in to a fifth tank. 

Also, here’s a side shot, because well, who doesn’t love a little side boob?! 

99B2CE47-E372-4DAB-AA11-404A1734F46E.thumb.jpeg.97c2491ba7ef690653a887dc0a212ab0.jpeg

• Like 7
NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper and I have welcomed the newest member to our family this week, and it most certainly wasn’t on the pre-approved stocking list that I usually get in trouble for, for bringing home. He’s actually, a foster fail for us. 

We work with a local rescue and foster mostly dogs and puppies. In the last year, we’ve had about 30 fosters, but something about this little puppy just pulled at the tank keeper heart strings. Earlier this week, she decided that he was going to stay with us forever. Without further ado, I present to you Grawlix. 

68C834A4-E100-4904-ADCD-E1AEB9EF90DB.thumb.jpeg.538be4f37b9d2f8125fad770730a32de.jpeg

C09F637A-1F7B-429B-AD09-EB4DED59A9D4.thumb.jpeg.98ffa5f22dd3f8aa6a315ebc6fa55800.jpeg

I am now no longer the most spoiled one in the house. I’ve been replaced by this little puppy, nearly over night. I don’t mind, I mean who could resist that cute little face?! 

• Like 7
  • Wow 3
NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper is in California this week for work, and I’ve arranged for her to bring back some Frags from a local reefer there. (Damn you’re good to me, TK!) Needless to say, I miss her, but I’m excited to get some new corals.

In hindsight, I may have fed the tank a little heavy tonight, without adult supervision to reign me in... 

EA1164F5-A97F-487D-996A-0C3A0C946ACB.thumb.jpeg.a63651f4cb43576060636b47402b9fd2.jpeg

Apparently, I’m not the only thing in the house tonight that’s happy... Hopefully, I didn’t ruin my chance at a happy *ahem* ending, tomorrow night. 

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

I just realized it was the last day of the month, and I hadn’t updated this thread with a full tank shot. I apologize in advance, if it isn’t as exciting (humor me) as normal. I’ve got five foster dogs, including a mom, and her two puppies, and a Pomeranian that’s hornier than an 18 year old at a strip club for the first time, and a shih tzu that isn’t smart enough to figure out where the ground ends, and the pool begins.

58FB476D-D3D8-4CEC-9B18-BA85F0D3F7E8.thumb.jpeg.6517c6241e1363c1dc457be221ea3875.jpeg

Sorry. That’s Luna being a real asshole, trying to make my day even longer, and prevent me from completing this simple task. It didn’t matter what side of the tank I went to, she was determined to block it. 

C25EE281-D37D-466A-B667-AD2C7D18E743.thumb.jpeg.662e4a9a0596acf4367350c63a4f457f.jpeg

Noteworthy things from August:

The Good

• A local reefer had ordered ocean rock (From Gulf Live Rock) for a new build, and bought too much. We swooped in and grabbed a couple pieces. One for this tank, and one for my future office tank (Screw you ‘Rona! I’m so tired of working from home.) The piece we put in this tank has some sort of encrusting coral, that’s starting to color up now that it’s getting some light. There’s also a small farm of feather dusters. I’ll try to get some pictures for a future post. 
  • Not exactly a separate point, but I’m going to take it as a win... Live Rock really gets the tank keepers motor running, if you know what I mean. Cha-Ching!

The Bad

• We went too long between changing our RODI filters, and are now fighting algae in our tanks. This one specifically has some hair algae. Lesson learned, but man does it suck. I should have know better. 
  • We are down to two Molly’s. At least the crabs are fat and happy.
  • Also, I’ll get to go to the LFS “to bring home some more Molly’s” and see what else I can bring home in my never ending journey of trying to push the tank keeper over the edge. (This should probably go in the good column for me, but I’ll leave it in the bad. For now...)

• Like 4

That is good news about getting live rock. 

5 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The piece we put in this tank has some sort of encrusting coral, that’s starting to color up now that it’s getting some light. There’s also a small farm of feather dusters.

Sorry about the molly's I remember that the tank keeper really liked them.

NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That is good news about getting live rock. 

Sorry about the molly's I remember that the tank keeper really liked them.

She does like them... But she likes crabs even more. She knows that a gorilla crab got to gorilla crab, yo! 

On another note, the Molly we put in the tank with her mantis shrimp has somehow managed to stay alive for the last month. 

• Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

No kidding. I would have bet money against that.

As did we. The first time we put Molly's in for her, she took all three of them out within an hour or so of them being in the tank. This one, she checked out at first, and has since been uninterested in it. 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

It’s Friday. I have things to do, including work... But I decided my time would be better spent screwing around on NanoReef! 

As I mentioned earlier, we’ve got a new piece of ocean rock in this tank. It’s got this encrusting piece of coral on it, that we haven’t been able to identify yet (any ideas?). 

75AF2EA7-E58E-402D-A9BB-B85B1FA1FA9E.thumb.jpeg.32835bd0efe9111f5fc18cf1470e169e.jpeg

On a corner of this rock, there’s a section of 8 or 9 feather dusters (which, I’ve learned are really hard to photograph). Heres about the best photo I got, but I’m sure the tank keeper will have me back at this corner(No one puts baby in a corner, well except for the tank keeper.) in no time, trying to get better shots of them.  

DC6452DC-BEF3-4B5F-A3B4-A23DA2E1CF59.thumb.jpeg.a9ef897299e5d7382bff590db39e56e2.jpeg

We still need more Molly’s... Plus whatever else I bring home, unless the tank keeper decides to ruin all my fun, and be my adult supervision this weekend. 

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang

On Monday I took a supervised trip to the LFS, to get new cleanup crews for a couple of the tanks and ended up coming home with a tiger pistol shrimp, and a Wheelers watchman goby. The first night, the goby decided that life was no longer worth living, if he had to room with a blind jerk, with a propensity for snapping. I’m not sure if it was the noise, or the fact that the pistol wouldn’t quit redecorating their villa, that was the reason for the swan dive.  He somehow jumped through the mesh of the lid. 

Fortunately for the Goby, I was lazy and didn’t dump the water from the bucket when acclimating him, and his landing spot just so happened to be that bucket.  He must have spent all day in it, because the tank keeper found him when she got home from work. For those keeping score, Laziness 1, Goby 0. 

Also, here are a few pictures I’d taken from this tank, but hadn’t posted yet. 

34500C57-8E4B-436A-826B-FCF10AE62596.thumb.jpeg.9cb3d3d92bbcea249a3881c2c990f9bb.jpeg

0566EFC7-248F-44E3-BF45-A8BC0F5D493A.thumb.jpeg.84a908ce531d3c6eab73df347c92e288.jpeg

C8EBA75A-B4BA-4E1C-811A-3CFA9B20A4EA.thumb.jpeg.040142f78ffd7a72ca9452e813169ba1.jpeg

40A66D38-E691-4C11-B071-8287577310A7.thumb.jpeg.0884b99afa3fb29c3756cb57c0812e68.jpeg

• Like 5
NoOneLikesADryTang

I got a new macro lens, and a couple things became very apparent. 

1. I suck taking pictures. 

2. A macro lens, I believe needs a tripod. My hands are pretty steady(The tank keeper is a big fan. Hey girl!), but I was having trouble keeping the camera still enough to focus on what I wanted to shoot. 

3. It probably needs some sort of other lighting as well, to get really good shots.

4. I haven’t tested this theory, but much like bowling, or darts, I’m thinking a cold beverage, with a side of Jameson, would make my performance much, much better.

Glitter Goni:

CF18C3BE-5EBE-451F-8A1F-92FAF5B9F936.thumb.jpeg.138fb44413cf3a39bc80d93e420ebacb.jpeg

Snake Polyps:

1D8C741C-9CA5-4EA4-B1D4-B72FF0E6A9F7.thumb.jpeg.bab9df9c8578840c5b41d62f3437e6ea.jpeg

Hungry Hungry Hippo Snail FB53F551-B393-4B4C-9852-3CBD132CBEF3.thumb.jpeg.1a0d89ea62cd1e1632e4c283b0c1b920.jpeg

• Like 6
5 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I haven’t tested this theory, but much like bowling, or darts, I’m thinking a cold beverage, with a side of Jameson, would make my performance much, much better.

TRUTH...🙌

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

It took a few days, but look who decided to stop sulking and make an appearance! This little swan diving asshole, and his homemaker. 

BEE1C02C-F2CB-47E4-B3C4-02DCCCA8B1E3.thumb.jpeg.3ea6ae33f8cf412006b2ec1204dbf253.jpeg

Apparently the Wheelers watchman goby, and the pistol shrimp decided to kiss and make up. Not to sound like I’m too in to voyeurism, but I’m hopeful that this pair will keep their home where they have it now. It’s right at the front of the tank, where it can be viewed at any time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 9/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, ef4life said:

I can’t believe I never came across this thread months ago. Great looking tank, and lots of entertainment reading through

Thanks! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it. I’ve tried to have fun with it, and for it to be an entertaining journey for those following along. The tank keeper is much more creative than me (and she claims to be funnier) but she doesn’t post much... All though I really wish she would - maybe if I get enough people wanting an update from her, she’d be more inclined to post an update. @EfrainChicagoDeepdish

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Also, it should be noted that our leopard wrasse was found swimming upside down on Sunday by the tank keeper when doing a water change. We moved her to quarantine, and it seems to be a swim bladder issue. We are hoping she’s just constipated(finally, someone in this house more full of shit than me!), and it isn’t a bigger issue. I don’t really feel like pegging “dat wrasse”, but if I have to I will, to save this fish. 

Since she made it through the first night, we decided to treat with epsom salt, and wait it out. A day later (today) there’s definitely some improvement, but not completely healed. We’ll continue to monitor and report back. 

• Sad 1
27 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Also, it should be noted that our leopard wrasse was found swimming upside down on Sunday by the tank keeper when doing a water change. We moved her to quarantine, and it seems to be a swim bladder issue. We are hoping she’s just constipated(finally, someone in this house more full of shit than me!), and it isn’t a bigger issue. I don’t really feel like pegging “dat wrasse”, but if I have to I will, to save this fish. 

Since she made it through the first night, we decided to treat with epsom salt, and wait it out. A day later (today) there’s definitely some improvement, but not completely healed. We’ll continue to monitor and report back. 

Epsom salt helps?