Top Shelf Aquatics

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, ef4life said:

Sorry to hear about the fish loss, but those coral pics are great.

Thank you. I had fed, and was rearranging some stuff, so the pumps had been off half an hour or so. Everything looked so puffy and happy, so I had to snap some shots. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper is out of town on business this week, so you know what’s that means!

Its time to push the tank keepers sanity, right to the breaking point. This time, she’s bringing back some corals for me us, so I decided I wouldn’t  have any livestock surprises for her. However, that doesn’t mean I’m not going to jump up and down on her last nerve and try a new light.

Since I’ve all ready spent some serious coin on a Battle Box for this tank, I decided the Current Orbit Pros (They suck. Seriously. Don’t waste your money.) weren’t going to cut it. I’ve never used a Radion product, but that changes today. I went all in on a Radion XR30 Blue. It’s incredibly well built, and has a great form factor. The app that controls the light is user friendly and breeze to learn. The RMS mount however, sucks. I mean, it really sucks. The light has a serious lean, and I’m not talking the prison hooch I’ve seen be made on 60 Days In. The engineers that created this light mount must have grown up on Michael Jackson, and wanted their mount to match his gravity defying Smooth Criminal dance moves. I can’t believe this passed Ecotech’s quality control standards.

DC3F18D9-7133-47A0-9F55-AB924822542F.thumb.jpeg.80eb0c37a33af3c34244dceff6682e2b.jpeg

It looks much worse in person, than it does in my photos. This is even with a couple pieces of scrap acrylic placed in between the tank and the mount clamp to help with the lean. 

60BFDB12-AF67-4CE3-BC4F-A79FE00DE47E.thumb.jpeg.6d29eeb1429bcc4b2cab52b122d524f9.jpeg

Needless to say, I’ve ordered a ceiling hanging kit, and will put a couple more holes in the tank keepers ceiling, to get away from counting down the days until the light slips off the mount and in to the tank. 

Has it ever crossed your mind, “How the hell does he get away with those shenanigans?” Or, “why doesn’t the Tank Keeper just shut him down, and just tell him no?” Well, the answer for that can be found here

You see, the tank keeper has a soft spot for the misunderstood, and “pests”. I easily qualify as both. That’s not where the explanation ends though... It just so happens, that I tracked down a new polyclad for her, so for at least this trip, I’ve got quite the carte blanche to play with! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Someone posted just a few days ago about this light. It did end up in the tank. I can not believe a top of the line light (price wise) comes with a crappy mount. 

It really is unfathomable how poorly engineered this mount is - and it's not like it was thrown in free with the light. It's a separate (expensive) purchase on an all ready expensive light.  It'd be like going out and buying a brand new BMW, and then having to pay a premium for crappy tires, that don't handle well in the rain. It's baffling to me. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
12 hours ago, lizzyann said:

Love that trachy cuddle puddle!

Thanks! I’m really trying to talk myself out of going to a LFS today, that is having a sale on Trachy’s this weekend. 

PROS

I get to go to the local fish store. 
I get to buy new corals, to feed my addiction. 

Possibly pick up a new fish, to take up some of this empty swim space. 
More trachys for underwater snuggles. 

CONS

I have to explain to the tank keeper why I needed more corals after she was my coral mule this week, bringing home a hammer, three blastos and a couple of goni’s. I’m still working on an explanation, other than the often used, and much expected “Babe, don’t be mad.” Followed by my stammering through why this amphibious creature(s) just had to come home with me. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper is out of town for work again this week. Instead of being productive and doing any one of the dozen things that needs to be done around the house, I decided my time was better spent playing with the newish macro lens, that I haven’t gotten much use out of, while sipping Jameson.  

Booze + Camera + Open Water - Tank Keeper What could go wrong?

Goni’s and Alevoporas

EBD657D2-064C-4E6A-AD20-3F0562DFFFD8.thumb.jpeg.ceb261a3c58c0671852fd32d1ea4a0a4.jpeg

8505165D-04BA-468C-8AFD-240B75DEDD67.thumb.jpeg.ebf94e35d2bae43d6b5a1e97521cfd38.jpeg

A5DE17A0-5D4B-4B00-A41A-3FB68FEF2B1D.thumb.jpeg.06175ac922c945f8878297ad5f1fa3cb.jpeg

4DE8E2CD-1AF6-4AD6-B2B8-E96627F72869.thumb.jpeg.b7e481e7c186eaed74379b2fb5ac8260.jpeg

313435D4-C25C-4122-A10B-4EF1EC2D98C3.thumb.jpeg.83c69db03da1eca6d23703a8e57317ba.jpeg

Now for some uncomfortably close, close ups. 

An always hungry Cynarina (aka my spirit coral)

C0B4E0CD-C7CD-4D13-BEEA-08867068C6AD.thumb.jpeg.7570b2a8dfe997af14f4b730de79f7e6.jpeg

Fox Coral close up37CA6033-DA37-497F-9250-B521E8C8722A.thumb.jpeg.adc84f066c6a1009624ec4f95ee956ee.jpeg

My favorite part, of my favorite Trachy6493F578-69B4-4642-A1E0-551D33CAF698.thumb.jpeg.aa30ebbcfaf900ffb05fc1765021b520.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
17 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

Those gonis are beautiful! Does this one have a name?

I got it from a LFS as a no name last spring. I think Ben (BSA Corals) calls it Flaming Starburst. It’s one of my favorites, the pinkish/purplish stem with the whitish/yellows tentacles really looks great together. Here’s another picture of it, from a different angle, next to the yellow eye Goni. This was with more whites on. 

C5AA8AA7-CEB3-4034-A971-620A28F281FF.thumb.jpeg.0d1b2ea9b88c0c8ceccaaa790db3cbae.jpeg

• Like 6
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

Nice pics 👍 what camera/lens are you using?

Thank you. I’m still learning. I’d never used a dslr before, or really any sort of camera that wasn’t disposable (Am I dating myself?) or on a cell phone. I picked up an old Nikon D7100 off of offerup, and bought a Nikon 40mm macro lens off of eBay. I wasn’t happy with it, so I found a guy selling a Nikon 105mm macro on offerup. It’s a much better lens, at least as far as my limited capabilities can tell. I’ve still got lots to learn before I’ll be really happy with my picture taking ability, but it’s coming along. 

• Like 3

I just bought my first canon dslr A few months back too, that’s the one thing I don’t have yet is a good macro lens. I have my eye on a used 35mm macro but I don’t think it’s going to be able to get close enough like a 90-100mm would be able to. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thank you. I’m still learning. I’d never used a dslr before, or really any sort of camera that wasn’t disposable (Am I dating myself?) or on a cell phone. I picked up an old Nikon D7100 off of offerup, and bought a Nikon 40mm macro lens off of eBay. I wasn’t happy with it, so I found a guy selling a Nikon 105mm macro on offerup. It’s a much better lens, at least as far as my limited capabilities can tell. I’ve still got lots to learn before I’ll be really happy with my picture taking ability, but it’s coming along. 

When you know how to use it, the 40 is a very good lens especially for fish close ups. I use that lens for all of my fish pictures and lately the Laowa 50mm macro for corals 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
12 hours ago, ef4life said:

I just bought my first canon dslr A few months back too, that’s the one thing I don’t have yet is a good macro lens. I have my eye on a used 35mm macro but I don’t think it’s going to be able to get close enough like a 90-100mm would be able to. 

If I had to do it over again I would just spend the extra money on longer focal length macro lens the first time. I rarely ever bust out the 40mm these days. 

12 hours ago, ECLS Reefer said:

When you know how to use it, the 40 is a very good lens especially for fish close ups. I use that lens for all of my fish pictures and lately the Laowa 50mm macro for corals 

Well now you’re making me think I should give the 40mm another try! I definitely am still a novice with this whole photo thing. How is that Laowa lens? Build quality? If you could do it all again, would you still buy it? 

2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If I had to do it over again I would just spend the extra money on longer focal length macro lens the first time. I rarely ever bust out the 40mm these days. 

Well now you’re making me think I should give the 40mm another try! I definitely am still a novice with this whole photo thing. How is that Laowa lens? Build quality? If you could do it all again, would you still buy it? 

The 50 is fantastic for corals where you have plenty of time to focus in and get macros. The 40 is automatic so it does better catching fish on higher lens speeds. The 50 is all manual, and a bit stiff to turn but turns out fantastic shots. @Cannedfish is using one now and I think he is digging it. 

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have done great with this tank! 

Don't forget to post your final tank shot and the 2-3 paragraph summary for the final entry by the 31st!!

Good luck!!

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

There’s nothing that drives the tank keeper crazier, than being late. To keep the theme of driving her absolutely bonkers this year, I figured there’s no better way than waiting to the last hour of the last day to remain eligible. The tank has gotten some nasty brown/rust colored algae, that’s now forming tan bubbles. It doesn’t seem to bother much, other than being incredibly ugly. We’ve only moved a few goni’s and a couple SPS Frags to this tank, and all seem fluffy and happy. We’ll continue to move over a piece or two a week, until this tank is full (pending the algae doesn’t turn in to an even browner, uglier mess, in which case we will probably put the frags back in the 80 gallon, and let the Arizona sun do what the Arizona sun does to the rocks, and start over.) 

Current Equipment 

• IM 20 Gallon Peninsula, with 326gph Mighty Jet return pump 
  • Radion Gen 5 XR30 Blue
  • Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w heater
  • AI Nero 3 wave maker 

2C6E540C-6AEB-452E-881B-3F16793DFCC3.thumb.jpeg.c028ec7af40f57d79576788cf32346a2.jpeg

A6FEEEF7-3A0E-4CE4-AE78-09796710AA88.thumb.jpeg.264ba36a5aa501621a3ea65c9fa9142c.jpeg

Currently the only fish resident is a File Fish (Teaser - the tank keeper has a great idea for the next challenge with this fish). He got moved to this tank, when I thought he was eating euphyllia in our 80 gallon tank. With some time, and banishment, I believe him to be innocent. He shall now be called Andy Dufresne from here on out. 

All though this tank has been fairly uneventful this year, I have enjoyed being a part of this contest, on my favorite little slice of the interwebz. Thank you @Christopher Marks for making this such a great community for those of us passionate about this hobby. Thank you everyone on Nano-Reef, who has followed along, even though the tank updates have been fairly boring. I hope I somehow made it at least mildly entertaining to read my antics in driving the tank keeper to drink. All the while, displaying my prepubescent teenage boy humor intertwined throughout this build thread. 

I have am certain this tank will not win any awards, nor should it. I would like to formally appeal to the voters, that @debbeach13, who started her build thread a few days late to qualify officially for the competition, be considered for the Friendly Competition Award. Over the last year, I couldn’t look at a build thread, without seeing her kind words of encouragement. It’s people like her that makes this community so wonderful. I really hope an exception can be made for her to qualify for a bonus CM award. 

Lastly, but certainly not least, thank you @EfrainChicagoDeepdish for being my better, and funnier (her claim, not mine) half. There is no one I’d rather go on reefing adventures with. Thank you for introducing me to this hobby, and this website. Thank you for letting us enter this competition this year, even though I know you really didn’t want to take on an additional tank. You are the epitome of love. I am so blessed to be on this journey called life with you. I love you  with all of my heart. 

• Like 5
  • 3 months later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

Well @Christopher Marks it's official, I suck at updating my build threads without being forced a reason to do it monthly. 

With that being said, here's an update on the 80 gallon tank... It's definitely had some ups and downs over the last few months. 

Current Fish Stock:

Labout's Wrasse (Named The Dude - easily my favorite fish in the tank. So much personality.)

Blue Hippo Tang (Named E-Fin, in an homage to my favorite shit show of a nano-reefer, that isn't active much these days.)

Aipstasia eating File Fish (Named Andy Dufresne - More on this later.)

Large Bangai Cardinal (Named the CodFather, because he calls all the shots in the tank.) 

These fish have yet to be named: 

Large Yellow Coris Wrasse 

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse

Pink Streak Wrasse

Because I believe in full transparency when journaling, so that others may learn from my (many) mistakes, I'm going to start with the bad: 

We sold our bubble tip anemeones, to get the third of the tank back that they were killing everything within their reach. In doing so, the tank keeper was going to rescape this tank, to get frags placed in their forever homes. We picked up a couple pieces of live rock, from a LFS and put them in the tank (Note to future self - don't do this ever again.) In January, we started to lose a couple of hammers, and I thought it was our File Fish picking at them, so I banished him to the 20 gallon... However, the problem proceeded full steam ahead, even though the file fish was in solitary confinement. We lost a couple more hammers. Then a torch, then another torch. Next, blastos, acans and duncans seemed to be whittling away. It was infuriating. We started pulling and dipping every bit of LPS, and that seemed to keep the issue at bay, but it didn't eradicate the issue. Eventually, we found little black "bugs/worms", that I believe were the culprits. We treated the tank with a couple of rounds of Prazi-Pro, and that seemed to resolve the issue for good. It's been three months since the Prazi treatments, and haven't had a single issue since. We ended up losing 4 hammer colonies, and a couple of beautiful torches. We managed to save everything else. We believe one of the rocks that we had gotten from the LFS had little black "bugs/worms" that attacked our LPS. The good news is, that our file fish was not guilty, and after spending some time in Shawshank he earned the name of Andy Dufresne, since he was obviously innocent of the euphyllia deaths he had been unjustly accused of. He, however, still thinks aipstasia is icky, and has no interest in eating it.

I can relate Andy Dufresne, it's like me with brussel sprouts.

No. Thank. You. 

We've lost four fish since my last update. We had a midas blenny, and a pencil wrasse both jump to their deaths, even though the lid was on. They must have hit the netting just right to squeeze through. We also had another pencil wrasse that refused to eat, so he didn't make it through quarantine. There was nothing we would do could convince him to eat. He even refused live black worms, and live brine shrimp. He was even pickier than the tank keepers son when it comes to eating vegetables. (Maybe I should have tried dipping the brine shrimp in ranch dressing?!) Our fourth and final loss, was a copperband butterfly whose death is a mystery. He was eating frozen well, and seemed happy. We were really hoping he'd develop a taste for aipstasia, but we never got a chance to find out. We got home from work one day to find him doing his best impersonation of a trachy, right in the middle of our trachy party. No signs of a fight with another fish. No foul play is expected, as the CodFather runs a tight ship, and no hits happen without his blessing.  

The Good: 

We had another Coral Farmers Market (basically a large frag swap put on by Steve Tyree) here last month - I did good. I had the tank keepers blessing on everything we bought, and I really didn't go overboard. We bought a few goni frags, and a pink tipped frogspawn, and a pinkish/rose gold hammer as we slowly rebuild my our euphyllia garden. 

We also switched this tank to All for Reef, and the corals have never been happier. It's a noticeable difference from the two part we had been dosing. We mix it ourselves, and it saves a significant amount of money, over buying it premade. Currently, we are dosing 20ml a day, and the alkalinity has found stability. Everything is fluffier and much happier. (Kind of like me, since I met the tank keeper... Damn you and your delicious homemade cookies, that I just can't put down!) 

Just a couple quick phone shots from over the weekend. Please ignore the frag racks, I'm still working my way through them... But, what can I say, I'm a sucker for a nice rack! 

F3FC096C-6E28-4F30-ADA4-6CB05852BE81.thumb.jpeg.0011cf3ee60b0eea0312f6539d1aebf8.jpeg

8EEBB31A-E82F-43EE-BD2E-FE5D491AD620.thumb.jpeg.61c68f7917b5e56257c44713a0afb2e7.jpeg

255B6A5C-90BE-46F6-9A4A-85C823471E83.thumb.jpeg.b48398276af89add8b16406bbcdd5712.jpeg

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

I just found out you can support NanoReef and get a snazzy badge, all for just $24 per year. If you can afford it, and have used NanoReef as a source of information, for your own reef, or if you just enjoy reading my antics (because let’s be honest, most of our tanks success isn’t due to my husbandry), I hope you’d consider supporting NanoReef as well. 

It can be done here:  https://www.nano-reef.com/subscriptions/

I couldn’t wait to sign up, and of course flex it on the Tank Keeper, while she’s out of town. Here’s how that conversation went

B13B2273-4E0A-4322-8B1A-2BE0F29E712A.thumb.jpeg.5297ea25d68aff0c4af6f5a3b4aa0cda.jpeg

72C9C815-815A-4927-9CBD-D51085A55D01.thumb.jpeg.d1c95c91347e1088325594b8d3409622.jpeg

• Haha 1