Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

Tigahboy

I've started / still planning my planting for my 20 Gallon Macro tank. In your experience what is a good macro for the higher flow areas in the tank. The area will be tumbling quite a bit, as it is directly under my Aquaclear 70. So far I have Dragon's breath, and dragon's tounge in there already, and would like some more green. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, GregBox said:

I've started / still planning my planting for my 20 Gallon Macro tank. In your experience what is a good macro for the higher flow areas in the tank. The area will be tumbling quite a bit, as it is directly under my Aquaclear 70. So far I have Dragon's breath, and dragon's tounge in there already, and would like some more green. 

Blue hypnea likes a decent amount of flow (and light) as well. Codium could benefit from higher flow and is green. Caulerpa are pretty flexible so can probably be fine under those conditions as well and would add a nice green.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'll just keep using this thread to update on all my various macroalgae tanks.

Some shots of my IM 30L. Really love this tank and easiest to maintain out of all my macroalgae tanks. Maybe bigger is better.

DSC03843-2.thumb.jpg.64cc1ac29e4a2431d6d01ec2f46f5925.jpg

DSC03852.thumb.jpg.bc073670cb6e8f51cff8601ff237d4bb.jpg

Added this Ulva intestinalis (or is it compressa?). Not really a looker, but I accept all body types.

DSC03823.thumb.jpg.41c3c6b04d86eeb44e97aee63d8e65c7.jpg

Also, just going to leave this here. 😁

DSC03855-3.thumb.jpg.727cecd810a7e00b3e7508c23d1cd542.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 8
44 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I guess I'll just keep using this thread to update on all my various macroalgae tanks.

Some shots of my IM 30L. Really love this tank and easiest to maintain out of all my macroalgae tanks. Maybe bigger is better.

DSC03843-2.thumb.jpg.64cc1ac29e4a2431d6d01ec2f46f5925.jpg

DSC03852.thumb.jpg.bc073670cb6e8f51cff8601ff237d4bb.jpg

Added this Ulva intestinalis (or is it compressa?). Not really a looker, but I accept all body types.

DSC03823.thumb.jpg.41c3c6b04d86eeb44e97aee63d8e65c7.jpg

Also, just going to leave this here. 😁

DSC03855-3.thumb.jpg.727cecd810a7e00b3e7508c23d1cd542.jpg

Super cute! Definitely update about that little pony!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

Fantastic work as usual!

Thank you!

55 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That 30L is a stunner @Tigahboy! Does it just seem to need less attention than all the other tanks?

Having the extra space gives me a little more buffer if I forget to trim as frequently. For my other nanos or picos, the macroalgae grows so fast that it can overtake the tank very easily if I'm not on top of trimmings. Also, despite feeding pretty heavily in this tank, this tank has the least amount of nuisance algae.

43 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

Super cute! Definitely update about that little pony!

These are ORA Tiger Tails (Hippocampus comes). They are still really timid and don't seem to be good eaters. I've been feeding them mysis, but it's been challenging trying to feed them multiple times a day and making sure they get enough each feeding. I see why people avoid keeping seahorses. They are really cool though!

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Thank you!

Having the extra space gives me a little more buffer if I forget to trim as frequently. For my other nanos or picos, the macroalgae grows so fast that it can overtake the tank very easily if I'm not on top of trimmings. Also, despite feeding pretty heavily in this tank, this tank has the least amount of nuisance algae.

These are ORA Tiger Tails (Hippocampus comes). They are still really timid and don't seem to be good eaters. I've been feeding them mysis, but it's been challenging trying to feed them multiple times a day and making sure they get enough each feeding. I see why people avoid keeping seahorses. They are really cool though!

I’d heard about the need for multiple feeds a day. How do they survive in wild needing so much food? Pods? Or do they forage on shrimp? They’ve got to have a huge food source to graze enough all day 🤔

Best of luck with them- I’d never be able to support them being gone for 16 hours on work days. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It is beautiful!  Can you tell me the names of the red macro on the right and left of the bowl? I got some of each of them in a macro sampler and don't know what they are.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2022 at 6:43 PM, kimdawg said:

It is beautiful!  Can you tell me the names of the red macro on the right and left of the bowl? I got some of each of them in a macro sampler and don't know what they are.

My best guess for the one on the left is Gracilaria parvispora. The right I'm not sure. It was sent to me as Rhodopeltis, but not sure if that's right.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:01 PM, kekke1082 said:

How are you keeping it all so pest algae free? I've got hair algae all over 😅

I'm pretty good about removing anything that has a hint of hair algae on it. Just regular upkeep basically. I do have hair algae in a couple tanks though. Oddly in my 45A and 5N, I have zero though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Picked up one of those PNW Custom Micro Reef tanks awhile back, but just got around to scaping it over the weekend.
DSC04256.thumb.jpg.820f2d9c4e1324ca647ce74ef6279741.jpg

The display tank is only 28 ounces and it has a working 12 ounce sump below! Will set this up as a micro macroalgae tank.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:
Picked up one of those PNW Custom Micro Reef tanks awhile back, but just got around to scaping it over the weekend.
DSC04256.thumb.jpg.820f2d9c4e1324ca647ce74ef6279741.jpg

The display tank is only 28 ounces and it has a working 12 ounce sump below! Will set this up as a micro macroalgae tank.

That is so cute!!

• Agree 1