Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

Tigahboy

• 2 weeks later...

Home stretch! This contest is going to end in just 1 week!

Squeezing in a few more macro shots before it all ends....

Classic dragon's breath. It's been coloring up pretty well in here.

DSC04885.thumb.jpg.f2c84b0c8adaf0c27cea2237a9f4a2e5.jpg

Galaxaura - a very cool macroalgae with delicate-looking, but rigid, cylindrical branches.

DSC04888-2.thumb.jpg.e8d09a2e865a000b7a116f215d0fc84a.jpg

Laurencia - one of my favorite macroalgae right now. The blue tips are insane.

DSC04914-2.thumb.jpg.4ab38340789f35a201f34fdd6629e08f.jpg

And of course my purple ribbon gorg.

DSC04893.thumb.jpg.5cff0d78654319df559ae0c12065cb50.jpg

Will be working on my final recap post for next week.

• Like 10
12 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Laurencia - one of my favorite macroalgae right now. The blue tips are insane.

So pretty not what I think of when some one says macro algae. The variety of macro's you have is just incredible. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So pretty not what I think of when some one says macro algae. The variety of macro's you have is just incredible. 

The diversity of macroalgae in shapes and colors amazes me. I think we've really just scratched the surface on macroalgae in the hobby.

• Like 2

Final Official FTS and Recap

DSC04844-2.thumb.jpg.8987ab56ea596c18e13fd082d49de6f5.jpg

None of us could've foreseen what a crazy and difficult year 2020 would become, but I think a lot of us leaned into this hobby as a way to escape the harsh realities of the world around us. So I am truly thankful for this hobby and Nano-Reef.com for putting on yet another awesome contest.

My goal for this tank was to create a saltwater version of a freshwater planted tank. Sticking to this theme, I stocked this tank with mostly macroalgae and it currently has six different species (seven if you count my centerpiece bubble algae) plus a couple photosynthetic gorgonians. Just like a freshwater planted tank, focusing on the aquascape was key, so I endeavored to create a natural looking aquascape with live rock (inspired largely by freshwater scapes) and started filling out the tank with macroalgae. I also have six tiny (and super cute) masked gobies, three sexy shrimp, and a bunch of snails and hermits in here.

I consider this the true start of my passion for macroalgae. I never expected the amazing diversity in colors and shapes found in macroalgae until I started this project. I loved this tank and macroalgae so much, I started three other macroalgae dominant tanks after this one and have more projects in the works. I know this tank may not be for everyone, and I still get questions from folks wondering why I keep tanks full of algae instead of coral, but it's brought me a lot of joy and has given me some really cool opportunities, such as being featured in Reefbuilders, featured in various YouTube videos including Bahama Llama and Seafriendlyreef's channels, and also highlighted in a couple of podcasts with me as a featured guest (Reef News Network (episode 148) and Nature's Wonders (episode 6)). I even got a sponsorship from UNS which has helped me create new macroalgae projects. Even cooler, I've seen a lot of hobbyists from both saltwater and freshwater sides starting their own macroalgae tanks which really makes me excited for what is in store for macroalgae this year. I've blabbered on enough, but would like to end with a big thank you to all of you who followed along my crazy macroalgae journey. #eatsleepalgae

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty

You got my vote (1st loser) 😅

looks good and you have definitely stepped up the picture game. It was nice to see others join the algae game as well, I tip my hat to you sir. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/27/2021 at 11:01 AM, DevilDuck said:

Much deserved attention to you work! It is fantastic and I hope these macro tanks start a whole new trend in the hobby.

Where do you source your macro algae from?

Thank you! I hope so. I've gotten mine from Reefcleaners, KPAquatics, Gulf Coast Ecosystems, Ebay (though be careful, some sellers be shady), AlgaeBarn, and local trades.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:01 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

You got my vote (1st loser) 😅

looks good and you have definitely stepped up the picture game. It was nice to see others join the algae game as well, I tip my hat to you sir. 

😂 Does first loser get a prize too? And thank you!

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Also, this tank was overrun with dinos for the past few weeks, but finally got them under control. During the course of treatment, I increased nitrates and phosphates by a ton and my caulerpa prolifera and blue hypnea have exploded in growth, so the tank looks very different now.

DSC05341.thumb.jpg.919217de122bf477bc0ef8198397677a.jpg

DSC05343.thumb.jpg.aba2071979456331df3387af942e7855.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 4
Christopher Marks

It's incredible how quickly it can change, the growth is so rapid with nitrogen supplements. Do you plan to continue dosing extra nitrates and phosphates to stay ahead of it?

Do you have a side hustle shipping out macro algae clippings? I sure hope so 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's incredible how quickly it can change, the growth is so rapid with nitrogen supplements. Do you plan to continue dosing extra nitrates and phosphates to stay ahead of it?

Do you have a side hustle shipping out macro algae clippings? I sure hope so 😄 

I'm still working out my long-term dosing strategy b/c what I was doing previously was clearly not enough but the amount I've been dosing during treatment was pretty crazy. Will land somewhere inbetween.

No side hustle. I have been throwing extra trimmings into this grow-out tank though.

DSC05260.thumb.jpg.a76115ccd9b453af06e7de3d32963b48.jpg

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...