Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Tree of Life🌱 - Waterbox Cube 10

MrP

Back to the Waterbox cube 10... It's beginning to look a bit bare in there as I've been slowly moving corals from it to the JBJ 45. All that's left in there are the sps which I'm not confident in moving just yet. I have a few pieces of sps in the JBJ 45 as guinea pigs to see how they do. So far, so good. 

The Waterbox cube 10 has been on autopilot for several months now. I'm dripping 500ml of kalkwasser nightly and 6 ml of All-For-Reef daily, I haven't tested the tank in quite some time now so would be interesting to see what the numbers are sitting at. It also rarely gets a water change. Maybe once per month if I'm feeling up to it. I might just send in an ICP to see if what I'm doing is good enough or if I need to look into other options. If the elements aren't what they "should" be, the corals obviously couldn't care less.  

Oh, and check out my new gold hammer. I can't wait for it to grow out and look like something other than small orange marble. :lol:

thumbnail_PXL_20230811_024124998.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 2

I performed some much needed maintenance on the Waterbox Cube 10 this weekend. I got the glass, heater, skimmer, & return pump all cleaned up. I also tested the water. The numbers aren't too far off. I'm going to lower the kalkwasser dosing down a bit as alkalinity and calcium are a bit on the higher end. All that's left to do is a water change and siphon out some detritus. 

Salinity 34 

Alkalinity 9.3

Calcium 475

Magnesium 1290

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0.07

PXL_20230813_2258511751.jpg

PXL_20230813_2300401851.jpg

PXL_20230813_2301411171.jpg

PXL_20230813_2302527491.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I now have most of the coral moved from the Waterbox Cube 10 to the JBJ 45. All that remains is gsp, firework cloves, nirvana palys, and some mushrooms. I didn't want to destroy the rock more than what I already have, so I also left a small encrusted green digi and some red monti cap. I removed the kalk doser as the tank can no longer support it. I'm still dosing a few ml of All-For-Reef and NP Bacto Balance daily.  

I caught a bta on the run in my anemone tank so I put it in the Cube 10. Eventually, all of the other bta's will be moved as well and my anemone tank will be dismantled. 

One of the limitations with the Waterbox Cube 10 is the small overflow weir and the very small return pump section. This greatly limits how much flow I can have through the filtration making a wavemaker a must have. I'm not comfortable having an MP10 with bta's. I also have an extra turbo snail I would like to add but with it's size, it would cover the whole weir which would cause the ATO to flood the tank. I'm contemplating upgrading the tank to an Innovative Marine 15 cube. The weir and return pump chamber are much larger so I would be able to replace the pump with a Sicce 1.0 or 1.5 removing the need for a wavemaker. 

As for the JBJ 45. Everything seems to be doing well. I've been monitoring alk daily and slowing ramping up the kalk. It's up to 750ml daily and holding steady. I picked up a few Trigger ATO 5g reservoirs. One for the ATO and one for kalk. That freed up quite a bit of space in the cabinet. I was previously using hedpacks which take up quite a bit of room. Next is building a controller board so I can move the Hydros over to it and clean up all of the wiring. 

• Like 1