inTank Media Baskets

DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!

DNR88

54 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

really liking the new scape.

Yeah, I like it too, but it's only temporary. Probably already different later this week when I do a second 30% WC.

Eventually the rock goes in the Sera Scapers 80 liter.

product.thumb.jpg.427f807d7754885507269b9c5f9cd6eb.jpg

• Like 1

Did a second large WC and I really like to see how the (macro-)algae and coralline is emerging and growing. I also found the first 'hitchhiker', a rather big peanutworm. 🙂

IMGP7863.thumb.JPG.58252d58406501c8f97052a7be113afa.JPG

IMGP7854.thumb.JPG.38f6ec8292c8259503cf556a9c2cb185.JPG

IMGP7859.thumb.JPG.90123f2d480e2ebae94cfe00da09c1df.JPG

• Like 2

Very nice rocks! Looks like you've got a few Caribbean star corals in there. They may look a bit beat up now, but mine looked even worse when my rock came in, and now it is thriving. They're super hardy and should make a full recovery as long as conditions are good. 👍

New live rock is so exciting. I can't wait to see what kind of other creatures come out of the woodwork in the coming weeks. 😁

• Thanks 1

Because most of the rocks have solide holes that go straight through the rock, I have the idea to tie the stones on and together with fishing wire. 😊

Someone who has experience with that?

As it seems, a very tiny Mermaid's Wine Glass Algae grows from one of the rocks. Would be great if it could grow to a larger number. 😁

19e142b3df8c23dc709db326d8025b04.jpg.7ae0602462a14cb2b0ffdf1d88895e9b.jpg

And more small Halimeda gracilis shoot out of different rocks, which I also like a lot! 👍

• Like 4

Is that the third tank in this thread, or the fourth? 😂 I say just keep this one going. I really love the shape though! I'm a huge fan of tall tanks. I know they are more difficult to work in and harder to aquascape as well, but I think they have some great potential for amazing displays. I like what you've constructed in there so far. 👍

On 4/23/2020 at 11:07 AM, DNR88 said:

As it seems, a very tiny Mermaid's Wine Glass Algae grows from one of the rocks. Would be great if it could grow to a larger number. 😁

I attempted to keep this Mermaid's Wine Glass for a little while last year and found that it's quite a challenge. They seem to like very low flow. I think they grow in lagoons and other close-to-shore areas that are very protected. It would be amazing if it takes off in your tank though, because it is very beautiful!

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, DNR88 said:

First attempt with the scape, bit I'm really happy with it.The water has cleared up nicely.

IMG_20200428_122715788.thumb.jpg.ca52375f84e7eff3bf02a9a7ad57202b.jpg

I like it, plenty of height and also width and depth for coral placements, how long will this one last? 😄

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I like it, plenty of height and also width and depth for coral placements, how long will this one last? 😄

I truly hope this will last, I really like the size and the dimensions of the tank.

As for corals, I only intend to add some gorgonians. 😊

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, Ratvan said:

Managed to get more decent photo's yet? Or are they still too shy?

Loved that photo of one turning the corner

They are hard to get photographed, this is the best I could make:

IMGP7888.thumb.JPG.9bf4133993a2697b774a71d3ee808994.JPG

A new bommie-style scape, I think it best suits the shape of this tank.

IMGP7881.thumb.JPG.8038bd5e040c1d014edd594602dec204.JPG

And a rather big feather duster.

IMGP7890.thumb.JPG.3064c5af33c02e37762b7a9d6c05bb87.JPG

• Like 2

It's been a few weeks, a lot of trying to scape the rocks. Finally found a good balance, on which gorgons can grow in height.

IMGP7893.thumb.JPG.1ddf9a9de4f136e952abafefd935755e.JPG

IMGP7902.thumb.JPG.4d52b518363b3db2656d1b45c9481ffe.JPG

Are there any common soft/leather corals from the Caribbean? I would like a mushroom leather, but I don't know if that's appropriate.

I would like to have orange ricordeas soon.

• Like 3

I liked the previous 'scapes quite a bit too, but the new one is indeed nice. Glad to hear you've got some gorgonians in there! P. anceps is a good choice. They are heavy shedders and may periodically close up for a couple of days, but generally I think they are pretty hardy.

7 minutes ago, DNR88 said:

Are there any common soft/leather corals from the Caribbean? I would like a mushroom leather, but I don't know if that's appropriate.

Unfortunately there are no leather corals native to the Caribbean. Their ecological niche seems to have been overtaken by photosynthetic gorgonians. Conversely, shallow water gorgonians are much less common in the Indo-Pacific (though not entirely absent), but leather corals rule the scene. It's interesting to observe how things have developed differently in those two different regions of the world.

Options for other Caribbean soft corals are quite limited as well. There are zoanthids of course, as well as at least three species of mushrooms (Discosoma carlgreni, D. neglecta, and D. sanctithomae) and Ricordea florida. R. yuma is found in the Indo-Pacific but not the Caribbean.

• Like 2

So @billygoat, more gorgonians then! 👍😁 And what about an encrusting SPS?

I have a Pavona now, although maybe not really Caribbean..

I like orange Ricordea florida, but they're pretty hard to find these days.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DNR88 said:

So @billygoat, more gorgonians then! 👍😁 And what about an encrusting SPS?

I have a Pavona now, although maybe not really Caribbean..

I like orange Ricordea florida, but they're pretty hard to find these days.

Sadly the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) prohibits the collection or sale of all stony corals from the Caribbean. The only way to get around CITES restrictions is to incidentally harvest corals on aquacultured live rock (since the rock is legal to collect, even though the corals growing on it aren't) or to have a very special permit such as those held by large public aquariums and other research facilities. This means no Caribbean SPS, LPS, or NPS are ever available to hobbyists except for those that hitchhike in on live rock. 😥

One way to get around these restrictions is to use similar species from other parts of the world to mimic the sort of corals you'd find in the Caribbean. For example the Pavona you've got is an Indo-Pacific genus that is not represented in the Caribbean, but it's similar in shape to lettuce corals (Agaricia spp.), which are common in the waters around Florida and the West Indies. 

I agree about the orange Ricordea as well. They are very beautiful, but expensive and difficult to obtain.

• Like 1

Sadly, the biggest pygmy wrasse didn't make it.. On the other hand, it does give possibilities to add something new, maybe a basslet or something.

The good news is that I've finally found the scape that fits the tank. It's sort of sculptural, but also still natural looking I think.

IMGP7904.thumb.JPG.8960e3a130bdf531049945cc25aa9c69.JPG

IMGP7910.thumb.JPG.085e05290d76894db1942182bfda096c.JPG

• DNR88 changed the title to DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!