SaltCritters.com

DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!

DNR88

1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

if this new one is anything like your last, I'm excited to see it!

We'll see. It's been a while since I've had really fresh live rock. Very hard to get nowadays, so I'm very excited.

Hopefully I get the live rock this friday! 😁 It's sold as 'Pacific Live Rock'.

What do you advise me; let the live rock cycling with bare bottom or already with a sand layer, so that critters can also crawl directly into the sand layer..?

4 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Either or, nothing wrong with a sandless tank if you'd prefer to go that route.

My lfs advised to start bare bottom and then add sand after two weeks.

Nice to have a blank canvas again. 🙃427942105_IMG_20211110_1639161112.thumb.jpg.99b01b6977cd4d36f2abb9d374f7707f.jpg

3 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Never heard of doing that, if you want sand I'd just add it all at once.

The theory behind it is that a lot of dirt and dead material comes off the stone in the first weeks and you want to be able to siphon it off easily.

After two weeks most of the dirt has been removed from the stones and you add the sand so that it can become 'alive' afterwards.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Live rock is weird stuff, you could cook it in a container for a week or two with a powerhead and cheap led instead, then just baste it off and drop it into the tank.

this sounds easier than adding sand after the fact.

I made the mistake of using the wrong sand and omg, swapping it out was miserable.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Live rock is weird stuff, you could cook it in a container for a week or two with a powerhead and cheap led instead, then just baste it off and drop it into the tank.

Live rock is indeed strange stuff, but that's also the interesting thing! 🤗

That's why I put the live rock directly in the tank, to see from the beginning what happens in and around the rocks and see what grows and lives on it

Of course a part will not survive, but I want to see as much as possible of the cycle and the development.

• Like 1

First new FTS with the live rock, not a bad start.. 😀 

242059027_IMG_20211114_1622393673.thumb.jpg.29ac4aab44a9751e7fa9b8d67426a9b4.jpg

The live rock itself is great, lots of (higher) algae, coralline and really tiny critters like Cerith snails on the glass.

• Like 3

Spotted my first ever Nudibranch! It's not wildy coloured and about a 1/3 of an inch in size, but it's got the curly tentacles and the little 'feather' on the back. Really cute! 😁

1230827517_IMG_20211115_1312424122.thumb.jpg.cdcb1dccc0e10251111f9939003a296d.jpg

• Like 4

Got rid of the blue background, it's now black (again). And I moved the lightstandard to the back, looks cleaner this way.

I'm looking for the right color combination of white/light blue/blue/violet/red/green. I want a 'crisp' light, like on a shallow reef. Anyone have some advice?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, DNR88 said:

Got rid of the blue background, it's now black (again). And I moved the lightstandard to the back, looks cleaner this way.

I'm looking for the right color combination of white/light blue/blue/violet/red/green. I want a 'crispy' light, like on a shallow reef. Anyone have some advice?

What do you run currently? I'd start on that setting and tweak to your personal preferences. 

1 hour ago, filefishfinatic said:

get a relassy reef light. cheap and crisp. if you want ultra realistic, get a big pump and point it straight up to agitate the surface 

Thanks for the advice, but I already have a light that should be more than enough. It's the color combination that I can't figure out.

The light has the following LEDs:

- 10x White Cree 3W
- 10x Royal Blue Cree 3W
- 4x Blue Cree 3W
- 1x Violet Epileds 3W
- 1x UV Epileds 3W
- 1x Green Cree 3W
- 1x Red Cree 3W

At the moment it runs really low, because I have no corals yet. 

I don't really like the real blue light (why do you have a reef tank in the first place..!? 😂), so want more towards the white(r) spectrum.

When i ran my Kessils I would turn blues to 100% and add white plus the others cree's till I liked the balance, that was still till blue too me so i dropped blues to 80% and on and on. Think i Had peak at 65% blues 80% whites 

Whats the light? 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

When i ran my Kessils I would turn blues to 100% and add white plus the others cree's till I liked the balance, that was still till blue too me so i dropped blues to 80% and on and on. Think i Had peak at 65% blues 80% whites 

Whats the light? 

It's an Asaqua Aquanest, which is pretty much the same light as an Kessil A360WE, in terms of output and LEDs I think.

• Like 1
filefishfinatic
21 minutes ago, DNR88 said:

The ugly brown phase seems to be starting, inevitably of course.

1164109350_IMG_20211116_1654142232.thumb.jpg.833ad2d6dd260dc88bd083d614d350ee.jpg

add some sand, i think it would make the tank look better and the peramaters will be more stable. 

• DNR88 changed the title to DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!