Jump to content
Ratvan

Ratvan's RSM 130D (Kessil A360WE Upgrade)

Recommended Posts

Ratvan
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Maybe eventually, but not right away.

 

I've always considered adding a cheato reactor/basket but haven't actually ever done it. Sure, I get periods of hair algae on my rocks, but I get worried adding anything to my tank like that could upset the balance more than it's worth. It's another thing that can fail and make a mess.

Is a Cheato basket literally as it sounds? A small amount of cheato in a basket in a sump?

I'm still playing with the idea of growing mangroves out in the spare back section that I currently have, until the roots are established enough to go in the DT (for the looks more than anything) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny

The cubes will do the same thing as the chaeto reactor with no power consumption. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
18 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The cubes will do the same thing as the chaeto reactor with no power consumption. 

Wonderful thank you. So cheato is not for display but for nutrient export? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
billygoat
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Wonderful thank you. So cheato is not for display but for nutrient export? 

Yeah that's generally the reason people grow it. It's not a very attractive macro (looks a lot like a tangled ball of green threads), which is why people usually hide it away in a refugium or reactor that is out of normal view. Does a great job of sucking up nutrients though.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
33 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Yeah that's generally the reason people grow it. It's not a very attractive macro (looks a lot like a tangled ball of green threads), which is why people usually hide it away in a refugium or reactor that is out of normal view. Does a great job of sucking up nutrients though.

It puts me in mind of tangled green string trimmer line .

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll

Recoil in horror at the ugliness!  😉

alga-chaetomorpha-refugiu_alga_marina_coral_farm.jpg

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaetomorpha -- worth noting that it's invasive like most macro's we keep.....so throw it in the garbage when you take it out of the tank.  Don't flush it or do anything else that could lead to it getting out.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

That is not at all what I thought it looked like, it thought it looked more like a fern. But that's Caulerpa 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Water is Crystal clear this morning and my sacrificial Xenia and Hermit crab made it through the night, still have some scaping that I would like to do but feel like I am getting closer

20191004_091003.thumb.jpg.7ee5d6248b020fd42737b9173c4e90fa.jpg

 

I have some different sized grains to add to give more variation to the substrate, the heater will move to one of the back compartments if I can work out where I can reliably fit it to heat the water and not just the flexi tube to the output nozzle. Thinking I may need to lay it flat under my in tank media basket. 

 

20191004_090958.thumb.jpg.8b7d785e6965303efb770da23103afde.jpg

 

Nitrites on the rise and Nitrates falling, very close... where is that Stability? I want fish in here  lol

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

20191004_125132.thumb.jpg.5d63a9691ca240064033223db8db6f7a.jpg

 

20191004_125125.thumb.jpg.94770c1f50b6f1f913b62e5b2ce3874a.jpg

 

Will tidy up the area around the tank and I will fill properly before leaving today. Also discovered that reaching the sand bed leaves me with a wet armpit

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, Ratvan said:

20191004_125132.thumb.jpg.5d63a9691ca240064033223db8db6f7a.jpg

 

20191004_125125.thumb.jpg.94770c1f50b6f1f913b62e5b2ce3874a.jpg

 

Will tidy up the area around the tank and I will fill properly before leaving today. Also discovered that reaching the sand bed leaves me with a wet armpit

Worst part about tall tanks......I was trying to murder aiptasia while on a chair bent over the top of the 75. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Worst part about tall tanks......I was trying to murder aiptasia while on a chair bent over the top of the 75. 

Well its another reason to strip off in the office

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, Ratvan said:

Well its another reason to strip off in the office

That’s what my husband said. 😂

 

he walks in from work and I’m on a chair holding a syringe...... he asked if I was his nurse. 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Not going to get to this until next week at least but I have a few things that I still need to do. Ill put them here or I will forget

  • Clean 5.5G Cube thoroughly 
  • Hook up ATO in 5.5G Cube 😄
  • Hide heater in Rear Section, horizontal in section 2 looks good
  • Get pictures of Clown and Blenny swimming together
  • Pick up testing kit for potential dosing 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Looks nice!  However, I'd like the ammonia test results to be a little more yellow.  IDK, maybe it looks closer to undetectable in person. :unsure:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
Just now, seabass said:

Looks nice!  However, I'd like the ammonia test results to be a little more yellow.  IDK, maybe it looks closer to undetectable in person. :unsure:

There was no yellow in the API test yesterday or today. I cannot get the White Balance correct after taking photos of the corals in the tank. Its an old phone now 😞

I have an ammonia alert badge in the tank as well which is showing "Safe" <0.02ppm

Also have Seachem Stability on standby, thinking about dosing that for the weekend

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Stability (bacteria) may help.  I might also want to have some Prime on hand to detoxify ammonia, if needed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

The ammonia looks like .25 to .5 to me and that scares me for adding fish. Unless you have to I would wait at least till next week and keep testing. But you are there and can see the test results better than a picture. Just would hate to see the fish get burnt from ammonia.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

The ammonia looks like .25 to .5 to me and that scares me for adding fish. Unless you have to I would wait at least till next week and keep testing. But you are there and can see the test results better than a picture. Just would hate to see the fish get burnt from ammonia.

It is the photo. I am with you on the Ammonia burns though. Have rescued a few Betta in the past with burnt gills, not nice turning that round

20191004_142954.jpg.a6f87cc6ef87dd1884161f5a5b3579ff.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

20191004_125132.thumb.jpg.5d63a9691ca240064033223db8db6f7a.jpg

 

20191004_125125.thumb.jpg.94770c1f50b6f1f913b62e5b2ce3874a.jpg

 

Will tidy up the area around the tank and I will fill properly before leaving today. Also discovered that reaching the sand bed leaves me with a wet armpit

M gets wet boobs when she works in the big shop tank.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
8 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

That’s what my husband said. 😂

 

he walks in from work and I’m on a chair holding a syringe...... he asked if I was his nurse. 

No for that you need a big ass needle.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Morning all, 

 

The reef survived its first weekend, I need to get the ATO set up and container filled today. The Water level had dropped to just below my weir and was blowing bubbles from the output nozzle. Other than that  all looks good, I have a small diatoms bloom on the right hand side of the tank but other than that all looks good

20191007_092454.thumb.jpg.4a891f20e8ce7d3654447f4521a947da.jpg

 

 Oh yeah got some reef inspired t shirts at the weekend

 

20191006_155334.jpg

20191006_155401.jpg

20191006_155409.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Nice looking fish.  LiveAquaria recommends a 90 gallon tank for them: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+3482&pcatid=3482

 

Definitely needs a top of some type.

Damn this is a Wrasse and I need a lid. That's a no for the moment then

On way to LFS with crossed fingers to see if i can get some more CuC, will try and not look at fish or corals....

wish me luck LMAO  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
51 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Damn this is a Wrasse and I need a lid. That's a no for the moment then

On way to LFS with crossed fingers to see if i can get some more CuC, will try and not look at fish or corals....

wish me luck LMAO  

Good luck 👍 😁

It's hard to not get anything. I did good this weekend and only snagged that one little chromis. Pretty little fish. Now I hope he doesn't jump out. I'm hoping that him seeing the cats he'll think twice abou jumping out 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...