Pod Your Reef

Cheeto’s luxury 5-star suite🦀👑

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He also has his little hole that he hides in most of the time right below him. He’s pretty much standing on his home, you can’t see the home, but he flies back into that hole whenever I get too close😂

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m pretty sure he’s a different type of crab from the other one, bc he has a different pattern. This one looks more like camouflage and the other one just definitely looks like a stone crab.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, I’ve been thinking about moving jerry back to this tank. Do you all recommend it? I’m a little afraid too, bc he’s still crippled from missing 3 legs, but he can still attack if he needs to, but I’m afraid that the other crab would take advantage of him.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He’s always tending to it, that’s whats really cute. He never eats the entire thing, he  only trims it down to a certain point and then let’s it grow back😂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve been wanting to know his species for a while. I was thinking a mud crab of some sort, but I’m not sure. He doesn’t have the big body shape like a stone crab, so I would need professional assistance.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I would wait till Jerry molts...should happen eventually

It’s taking him forever, I don’t know why it’s taking him so long😂. He’s in the same tank as my cleaner shrimp, and he molts like every week😂

Larger animals tend to molt less often, I think. I also wonder if he needs more 'prep time' to regrow the legs. I'm not entirely sure what the process is for growing a new limb that will be revealed after a shed, or where it is before they shed. Tucked up under the exoskeleton, I suppose. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 hours ago, Tired said:

Larger animals tend to molt less often, I think. I also wonder if he needs more 'prep time' to regrow the legs. I'm not entirely sure what the process is for growing a new limb that will be revealed after a shed, or where it is before they shed. Tucked up under the exoskeleton, I suppose. 

It’s been about 3 or 4 months of him not shedding. And he’s not that big, he’s about the size of a 50 cent coin

• 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, so I have a hard decision to make here. I think I’m gonna get some live rock rubble from saltybottomreefcompany, but they also have a red wennerae for sale for 10 bucks. I’ve really been wanting to get a mantis for quite a while, so I’m considering getting that also with my order. 

I would give the crabs that I have in this tank to my LFS 

• Like 1

I get where you are coming from. I too want a mantis tank but have been vetoed at home and think work would be too stressful for it, not to mention unattended nights and weekends, bank holidays. 

I've not kept one so I dont really got a dog in this fight 👍

• Like 2
3 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, so I have a hard decision to make here. I think I’m gonna get some live rock rubble from saltybottomreefcompany, but they also have a red wennerae for sale for 10 bucks. I’ve really been wanting to get a mantis for quite a while, so I’m considering getting that also with my order. 

I would give the crabs that I have in this tank to my LFS 

you went through a lot of trouble to set up the unwanted crabs.....I would keep them. 

there is always going to be “something cooler” to find in this hobby which is why we do it. ......but have you noticed that there are not many long term mantis tanks around?

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

you went through a lot of trouble to set up the unwanted crabs.....I would keep them. 

there is always going to be “something cooler” to find in this hobby which is why we do it. ......but have you noticed that there are not many long term mantis tanks around?

Actually yea, I did notice that. Why is that?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Well I won’t get the mantis then. I’ll just order the live rock rubble. It says that it has a good chance to come with some hitchhiker crabs to add to the tank and also some other hitchhikers that would be neat to have. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, that’s why if I was getting a mantis, I would give my crabs to my lfs

or just let him eat em... I fed mine live food... they like to hunt. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 9/27/2019 at 8:54 PM, Tamberav said:

or just let him eat em... I fed mine live food... they like to hunt. 

I just hate to see the crabs die, I feel like that’s cruel😂

Crustaceans are thought to feel pain, and when the potential food items are things that can feel pain, it's ideal to kill them first if at all possible. Same goes for mice and other feeder mammals for snakes. Yes, this is what would happen in nature, but (assuming the predator will take a dead prey item) there's no practical reason not to kill it humanely and reduce its suffering as much as possible. For things that like to hunt, tongs and a few minutes of playing with it like you're playing with a cat will provide plenty of enrichment, and probably be fun for you also. I used to have a warmouth sunfish, which is a bit like a tiny freshwater grouper, and he got his silverside meals after chasing them around in the tongs for a bit. I don't know if it was fun for him, but it was at least mentally stimulating, and he sure looked excited when the food moved away.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 hours ago, Tired said:

Crustaceans are thought to feel pain, and when the potential food items are things that can feel pain, it's ideal to kill them first if at all possible. Same goes for mice and other feeder mammals for snakes. Yes, this is what would happen in nature, but (assuming the predator will take a dead prey item) there's no practical reason not to kill it humanely and reduce its suffering as much as possible. For things that like to hunt, tongs and a few minutes of playing with it like you're playing with a cat will provide plenty of enrichment, and probably be fun for you also. I used to have a warmouth sunfish, which is a bit like a tiny freshwater grouper, and he got his silverside meals after chasing them around in the tongs for a bit. I don't know if it was fun for him, but it was at least mentally stimulating, and he sure looked excited when the food moved away.

Yea, I’m still not gonna kill the crabs. If I don’t get a mantis, I’m keeping the crabs. 

• Like 1