Cultivated Reef

Cheeto’s luxury 5-star suite🦀👑

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m actually using a viperspectra led 160w light on my 29 gallon tank, and I love the light. It’s great. It may be a little too big for a 10 gallon, but I don’t know for sure. 

Look for the cheap Chinese black boxes they are good if you are on a budget. You can get one for like 60 bucks

People have had their blackboxes not work or almost catch on fire, I dunno about them... I also wanted something more permanent where I can do more.  I think I might save for an AI Prime HD.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, WuzzoFish said:

People have had their blackboxes not work or almost catch on fire, I dunno about them... I also wanted something more permanent where I can do more.  I think I might save for an AI Prime HD.

That would probably be the best thing to get, but the viparspectra light is around 100 and my corals look great

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WuzzoFish said:

I used them for years awhile back...idk if I believe that. Lots of people using them and I don't really see posts on here about their house burning down. 

I did however have a computer catch fire once...dust on a video card that overheated... 

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have a sad update to make. I just got home today to find that the green watchman goby jumped tank. I finally got the guy to start eating and he decided to commit suicide😔

• Sad 2
3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have a sad update to make. I just got home today to find that the green watchman goby jumped tank. I finally got the guy to start eating and he decided to commit suicide😔

All gobys are jumpers 😞 Sorry 😞 I didn't notice you didn't have a lid. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
42 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

All gobys are jumpers 😞 Sorry 😞 I didn't notice you didn't have a lid. 

I don’t have a lid for this tank, bc I think that it’s impossible to get one. This tank is weirdly shaped and I got it from Walmart a while back. 

7 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I don’t have a lid for this tank, bc I think that it’s impossible to get one. This tank is weirdly shaped and I got it from Walmart a while back. 

yaaa I mean a peice of acrylic is a lid even if its square. Any janky thing to cover it 🙂

• Like 2
13 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Aww... Sad to hear. 😞

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I do have an update. I can finally make this tank back into its original use. A PEST TANK! I’ve been at a marine biology camp for the past week and we were studying a bunch of crabs and other things that they found while diving and when they were done with them, they were planning on just feeding them to a big puffer fish, so I asked if I could keep them instead and add them to my pest tank. So I was able to get a few things from the camp. I will hopefully be able to get pictures of everything tomorrow. I got one rock crab that I can almost 100% ID. I think that another is a mud crab. It’s small, so I’m guessing that it is. And the next I think is a sargassum crab or a baby blue crab, not so sure. I hope it’s a sargassum crab and not the blue. I also was able to get a bunch of different types of algae also. Some nice macros for the tank. 

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So I do have an update. I can finally make this tank back into its original use. A PEST TANK! I’ve been at a marine biology camp for the past week and we were studying a bunch of crabs and other things that they found while diving and when they were done with them, they were planning on just feeding them to a big puffer fish, so I asked if I could keep them instead and add them to my pest tank. So I was able to get a few things from the camp. I will hopefully be able to get pictures of everything tomorrow. I got one rock crab that I can almost 100% ID. I think that another is a mud crab. It’s small, so I’m guessing that it is. And the next I think is a sargassum crab or a baby blue crab, not so sure. I hope it’s a sargassum crab and not the blue. I also was able to get a bunch of different types of algae also. Some nice macros for the tank. 

Nice!

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I got some pictures of everything. If everyone could help me Id, that would be greatly appreciated. Like help me id the macro algae and tell me a little information about it. One of the macros is a golden color and looks really nice. The one crab almost looks like a blue crab, except there is no blue on him.

2DECC49F-02D7-4203-A3B7-34041C425275.jpeg

6ABD8FD4-FD18-44ED-81E5-1C0093B34EB3.jpeg

7DA0A2C1-F676-4B88-9EF9-D833FB38B24D.jpeg

7EB08659-E229-4E04-859F-636E9FEF16AB.jpeg

1157DD24-A56E-422E-BB27-5804E8C3F9EF.jpeg

93A0F27E-8CA4-4B44-ADE0-ACEB03AD5B0C.jpeg

485A3FE7-7081-4550-A911-F258CB44A652.jpeg

DAB4C60F-0522-4B57-B52D-3A802FA778A6.jpeg

94226425-A874-4899-9C4A-405C761DEEA9.jpeg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

1st one is ulva...most anything eats it...even humans

Dang, so that macro is probably gonna be gone within a day

On 7/28/2019 at 4:58 AM, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Has anyone seen the golden brown one before?

Looks similar to a Caulerpa to me, could not tell you which one. Not even sure I am correct on that. 

Really cute crabs as well. What is the plan with them? keep for a while and re release or just keep?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Looks similar to a Caulerpa to me, could not tell you which one. Not even sure I am correct on that. 

Really cute crabs as well. What is the plan with them? keep for a while and re release or just keep?

Not gonna re release them, I don’t want to  introduce something invasive into the ocean that’s not supposed to be there. I’m probably gonna keep them for a good while, then if they get too big, I’ll probably give them to my lfs. They have big tanks

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I need names for all of the crabs. Anyone have any suggestions? I think that the one crab that I just posted pictures of is a blue crab, and he has some sharp claws. I dropped a piece of scollop into the tank right above his head and he leaped from the sand and attacked it. It was kinda funny and a little terrifying at the same time. There is the blue crab, a somewhat big rock crab, and I think two mud crabs.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I would call the blue crab.... "Eddy" ....short for edible. 🍽️

I actually like that name😂

I think I’ll take you up on that suggestion and name him eddy😂

I keep trying to get pictures of all the other crabs, but the blue crab is the only one that likes to be out in the open

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So the blue crab in the tank has already molted. He grew almost twice his size in one molt. That’s why I changed the title. He is an angry little guy. I put my finger up to the glass and he went berserk. He started to attack the glass. 

1939A00B-F1E2-4870-8483-1D8605429EDE.jpeg

4F1E3F6B-FE1F-4D12-B08C-AD175BC4AB3E.jpeg

889C3608-F9BB-490C-9702-48F350D7D86D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1