Pod Your Reef

Cheeto’s luxury 5-star suite🦀👑

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He looks cool 🙂 I caught a blue crab with a net in florida years ago and.. ate it lol It was so damn good, fresh seafood 🙂

I read somewhere that they are prone to climbing out of tanks... warning ya. They are aggressive buggers too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

He looks cool 🙂 I caught a blue crab with a net in florida years ago and.. ate it lol It was so damn good, fresh seafood 🙂

I read somewhere that they are prone to climbing out of tanks... warning ya. They are aggressive buggers too!

Your right about the aggressive part. That’s why I changed the name of the tank, bc he was trying to attack me through the glass😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
53 minutes ago, WuzzoFish said:

I like where the tank is going!

Thank you😁. I’ve been trying to find some evil hitchhikers and I think that I may have finally of found them😂

I know that I will have to eventually get a bigger tank for these crabs, or give them to my lfs, but for now they are fine 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So, I have an update on this tank. It’s still up and running, sorry I haven’t posted much. My macro in the tank is actually growing pretty nicely. But one sad thing that I have is that the blue crab was a swimming crab and he somehow escaped the tank. I still have not found him. The other crabs are all still alive and well tho.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The other thing that I had to say was that I bought a 20 gallon tank from pet supplies plus for 20 bucks. I’m upgrading this small tank to a little bit bigger tank. I’m also really finally starting to consider a mantis, I would really like one, I love how interesting they are. I have been doing a bunch of research like you all have been telling me to do. Reading a bunch of other mantis shrimp tank journals, and I think I’m ready. So I’m gonna transform this tank into a mantis tank. I’m gonna start by getting a sandbed that is at least 4 inches deep, and fill it with pvc pipe. I’ll just add the live rock from this tank to the new tank instead of buying new rock. It’s already cycled. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
27 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Get a lid... a mantis will crawl out too. 

Oh, I never even heard of a mantis that jumped out of a tank. I’ll grab a lid for the tank also while I’m out.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh, I never even heard of a mantis that jumped out of a tank. I’ll grab a lid for the tank also while I’m out.

I can think of two right off the top of my head.....definitely get the lid. 

• Like 2

I have polyclad flat worms in my Evo.  Gonna tear it down once the new tank cycles and is ready for coral.  I think there is still a gorilla or two in there as well that I haven’t been able to catch (haven’t seen them in about a month though).  I was planning on tossing the rock (seriously considered a bonfire in the yard).  I have no idea how to catch the worms.. nor do I want to put in the effort to.  It was originally gulf live rock from Tampa bay.  Nice rock.. laying down my sword against the pest fight though.  Not sure if polyclads were in your list of pests.. but they are pretty pesty in my opinion.  No idea how to ship, never tried it before but if you want the rock with the uglies included.. we could probably find someone on here to tell us how.  I’m in FL.  No worries if you don’t want.. just thought I would offer

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Opotter said:

I have polyclad flat worms in my Evo.  Gonna tear it down once the new tank cycles and is ready for coral.  I think there is still a gorilla or two in there as well that I haven’t been able to catch (haven’t seen them in about a month though).  I was planning on tossing the rock (seriously considered a bonfire in the yard).  I have no idea how to catch the worms.. nor do I want to put in the effort to.  It was originally gulf live rock from Tampa bay.  Nice rock.. laying down my sword against the pest fight though.  Not sure if polyclads were in your list of pests.. but they are pretty f’ing pesty in my opinion.  No idea how to ship, never tried it before but if you want the rock with the uglies included.. we could probably find someone on here to tell us how.  I’m in FL.

Well dang, wish I could’ve know about this earlier. Im just about to upgrade to a 20 gallon and turn it into a mantis tank. But I guess some pests would be ok with a mantis. Like polyclads would probably be ok. I don’t know how much it would cost or ship tho

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Well dang, wish I could’ve know about this earlier. Im just about to upgrade to a 20 gallon and turn it into a mantis tank. But I guess some pests would be ok with a mantis. Like polyclads would probably be ok. I don’t know how much it would cost or ship tho

I have no clue about shipping either.  I remember how it was packed when it was sent, could probably duplicate.  But, no idea about cost.  Not sure about the polyclads with the mantis.  Fair warning I watched a big one take down my peppermint.  Freaking things are nightmarish.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
11 minutes ago, Opotter said:

I have no clue about shipping either.  I remember how it was packed when it was sent, could probably duplicate.  But, no idea about cost.  Not sure about the polyclads with the mantis.  Fair warning I watched a big one take down my peppermint.  Freaking things are nightmarish.

Are the polyclads small? Or big? I understand how it could take down a peppermint, easily.

Are the polyclads just like flatworms and other worms?

I’ve only seen 2, but from what I have read  there is probably more.  Tank has been up for about 18months or so.  First time I saw them I had come home from a long weekend to check the tank with a red light and the thing was stretched across my front rock, probably 6-8inches long and two or so wide.  The little one is maybe 4 inches and 1.5 wide.  Big one ate my shrimp right in front of me.  Now that I know they are there I feel like I see the bastards all the time.  No clue how I went a year and a half without ever seeing one.  Haven’t been able to snap a good photo yet.  Every time I turn to grab my phone, little crap heads have slunk away.

• Like 1

Honestly if you watch the rock long enough at this point I feel like Godzilla might crawl out.  I also had a Eunice worm similar to the one WV Reefer had.  I caught him and was able to re-home him. But god only knows what else is lurking at this point.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Opotter said:

THIS!  I have two Chads (that I know of)! 

Wow, and did your live rock only come with polyclads? Or did you get any crabs?

So I ended up just getting a 10 gallon tank, I bought some sand that’s nothing like my other tank. It’s a very fine sand and I love it.

31 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Wow, and did your live rock only come with polyclads? Or did you get any crabs?

So I ended up just getting a 10 gallon tank, I bought some sand that’s nothing like my other tank. It’s a very fine sand and I love it.

LOL.  It came with about a billon gorilla crabs.  I think I was too focused on that battle.  Took me forever to get the majority of them out.  Pretty sure I have two left.  A bigger one.. that has resisted becoming more friendly and allowing me to feed him with the tongs (his dead friends told him this was a ploy to get him out in the open and that he would get skewered, but it’s not true.. some where rehomed.. won’t lie.. enjoyed stabbing a few).  There is also still a little ninja gorilla in there too.  After the great guerrilla war of 2019, there was the Eunice battle.  

07B414EF-1D8D-4961-8AC6-9B1375925B34.thumb.jpeg.2f6ecc8d1337b04cf9869febf8ea08ae.jpeg

Caught him going back into a rock and pulled it lightening fast.  He went to live with a young dude who works at my LFS and was studying marine bio.

Next came the Aiptasia wars.  This can be traced back to Polyphagia and Polyphemus  (the polyclads) after they ate my peppermint shrimp that was keeping the Aiptasia in check i guess.  At first I thought it was colonial hydroids as I’ve had those come and go over the tanks life (without a problem).  Massive mistake which caused a plague.  I tried Aiptasia-x which made it worse.  Bought another peppermint (the one I saw Polyphemus eat).  Then bought nudis (hoping the worms wouldn’t have a taste for them).  That seems to have worked.

The next battle was the polyclads, and once I spotted the worms, I finally understood where all my snails went.  It was in fact not the fault of the crabs and Eunice worms. 

The end end of my horror story.  I bought a new tank (IM 25 lagoon, which I have always loved) and planned to burn the rock in a giant sacrificial yard bonfire to the reef Gods in prayer to save my new tank from my bad karma. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Opotter said:

LOL.  It came with about a billon gorilla crabs.  I think I was too focused on that battle.  Took me forever to get the majority of them out.  Pretty sure I have two left.  A bigger one.. that has resisted becoming more friendly and allowing me to feed him with the tongs (his dead friends told him this was a ploy to get him out in the open and that he would get skewered, but it’s not true.. some where rehomed.. won’t lie.. enjoyed stabbing a few).  There is also still a little ninja gorilla in there too.  After the great guerrilla war of 2019, there was the Eunice battle.  

07B414EF-1D8D-4961-8AC6-9B1375925B34.thumb.jpeg.2f6ecc8d1337b04cf9869febf8ea08ae.jpeg

Caught him going back into a rock and pulled it lightening fast.  He went to live with a young dude who works at my LFS and was studying marine bio.

Next came the Aiptasia wars.  This can be traced back to Polyphagia and Polyphemus  (the polyclads) after they ate my peppermint shrimp that was keeping the Aiptasia in check i guess.  At first I thought it was colonial hydroids as I’ve had those come and go over the tanks life (without a problem).  Massive mistake which caused a plague.  I tried Aiptasia-x which made it worse.  Bought another peppermint (the one I saw Polyphemus eat).  Then bought nudis (hoping the worms wouldn’t have a taste for them).  That seems to have worked.

Then I spotted the worms and finally understood where all my snails went.  It was in fact not the fault of the crabs and Eunice worms. 

The end end of my horror story.  I bought a new tank (IM 25 lagoon, which I have always loved) and planned to burn the rock in a giant sacrificial yard bonfire to the reef Gods in prayer to save my new tank from my bad karma. 😉 

You need to perform regular rituals to keep the bad rock juju at bay. 😄

3329A811-0EA8-4789-B910-7D93C81FDF8D.gif.80ce2fc5074fc98efef875ae55cfa080.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You need to perform regular rituals to keep the bad rock juju at bay. 😄

3329A811-0EA8-4789-B910-7D93C81FDF8D.gif.80ce2fc5074fc98efef875ae55cfa080.gif

LMAO 😂!   Oh trust me.  That GIF is VERY similar to what i have in mind (along with a case of beer and some hot dogs)!  The costumes will make a good addition!  At this point, I think my wife will play along just to avoid hearing me rant about defeating this or that and battle strategies like a general going off to war.

• Haha 3