Jump to content
yoshii

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

Recommended Posts

Break

Excited to see the upgrade!

 

Quite interested to see the Ice Probe set-up; a HOB set-up doesn't sound too bad. I remember using an external JBJ Chiller back in my metal halide days - efficient as hell, but was always worried it would spring a leak!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
East1

Tagging for the upgrade! 

 

I really like peltier cooling, used it a bit on my nepenthes systems previously before I figured out reliable evap cooling. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
yoshii
On 6/18/2020 at 7:28 AM, Tamberav said:

I have used the Aquatop tanks before and they held up just fine 🙂

 

Your tank is looking really nice! 

Good to know, thanks!

On 6/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Congrats on the new tank @yoshii, that's exciting!

 

I remember an original HOB ice probe design that used an AquaClear filter and I'm pretty sure had the ice probe mounted underneath it, through a hole drilled in the bottom of the AquaClear filter chamber. It seems the probe can work mounted from any direction, if that helps your design. I think you're on the right track with using a taller container for the chiller that can sit beside it and overflow into the tank. You might consider having something made from acrylic, it could even hide the chiller probe entirely with opaque material. Long time community sponsor Micro Reefs Aquariums could make something for you I bet, Mike does a lot of work with these chillers.

Thanks CM! Yeah I definitely need to look into container options. Plus I'm sure there are many more options available now compared to ten years ago when I set up my old pico (wow it's been 10yrs?!)

 

I had talked to Mike from Micro-Reefs before I bought this Iceprobe, he told me about the different mounting options. I think I might mount it from the side or back of whatever container I end up using. It just needs clearance for air flow.

 

Thanks, I will have to look into acrylic options, that would look a lot nicer too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
yoshii
On 6/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, Break said:

Excited to see the upgrade!

 

Quite interested to see the Ice Probe set-up; a HOB set-up doesn't sound too bad. I remember using an external JBJ Chiller back in my metal halide days - efficient as hell, but was always worried it would spring a leak!

 

Thanks! I'm excited to upgrade!

 

I did look at their 1/15hp chillers, but they were pretty expensive. Even my little Iceprobe setup was about $200 total.

Why were you worried it would leak?

 

On 6/22/2020 at 4:15 AM, East1 said:

Tagging for the upgrade! 

 

I really like peltier cooling, used it a bit on my nepenthes systems previously before I figured out reliable evap cooling. 

Thanks for checking out the thread!

 

Are you using fans for evap cooling?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Break
2 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Thanks! I'm excited to upgrade!

 

I did look at their 1/15hp chillers, but they were pretty expensive. Even my little Iceprobe setup was about $200 total.

Why were you worried it would leak?

The chiller itself was fantastic, I guess it was more the pump set-up running to the cooler I was worried about. Was my first reef tank and had no idea what I was doing at the time 😅 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
yoshii
2 hours ago, Break said:

The chiller itself was fantastic, I guess it was more the pump set-up running to the cooler I was worried about. Was my first reef tank and had no idea what I was doing at the time 😅 

Haha it sounds like it didn't leak so that's good! I don't think I even knew what a chiller was when I set up my first reef tank

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
yoshii

A short update,

Inter-island travel opened up with no more mandatory 14 day quarantine, so I got to go to Kaua'i (for the first time) for a weekend trip, it was beautiful! It was very weird but really nice not to have tourists everywhere.

IMG_20200619_171233258_HDR.thumb.jpg.f7610fa17dbb8c6463a861aab1a6e005.jpg

 

Then I got an infection from waterfall mud when I got back to O'ahu 😅 All is good now so I finally got to leak test the new tank!

IMG_20200625_064854317_HDR.thumb.jpg.b21a474f9a6f618d44ca939493f611c9.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
yoshii

I also picked up some dry rock and sand from the LFS the other week.

IMG_20200625_210902103_HDR.thumb.jpg.448f4650c758e6a846375554666d8baa.jpg

 

And yesterday I had my first "issue" with using the iceprobe chiller. I have it mounted on top of my HOB filter, but yesterday afternoon the impeller got stuck and water stopped flowing. The temp probe in the tank still registered the tank temp as getting higher, so the inkbird kept the iceprobe on. I think it was like this for at least 2 hours, it developed some ice on it!

IMG_20200624_192446406_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c777d7b093c4167c4b494940578eee4.jpg

 

I took apart the HOB impeller, I think it must have been a grain of sand that got in there (Finding Nemo!). It's working now and the chiller is re-installed. Good thing that didn't happen when I was on vacation!

  • Wow 3

Share this post


Link to post
East1
3 hours ago, yoshii said:

Thanks! I'm excited to upgrade!

 

I did look at their 1/15hp chillers, but they were pretty expensive. Even my little Iceprobe setup was about $200 total.

Why were you worried it would leak?

 

Thanks for checking out the thread!

 

Are you using fans for evap cooling?

Kinda, with plants it's a little different, I've basically built the entire growing substrate onto a swamp cooler so the whole thing cools itself just via passive air movement aided by the water used for irrigation. I do use a fan in the room it's in when it gets really hot which helps with cooling

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

So glad you were home. Ice  Ice not nice baby!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Break
9 hours ago, yoshii said:

I also picked up some dry rock and sand from the LFS the other week.

IMG_20200625_210902103_HDR.thumb.jpg.448f4650c758e6a846375554666d8baa.jpg

 

And yesterday I had my first "issue" with using the iceprobe chiller. I have it mounted on top of my HOB filter, but yesterday afternoon the impeller got stuck and water stopped flowing. The temp probe in the tank still registered the tank temp as getting higher, so the inkbird kept the iceprobe on. I think it was like this for at least 2 hours, it developed some ice on it!

IMG_20200624_192446406_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c777d7b093c4167c4b494940578eee4.jpg

 

I took apart the HOB impeller, I think it must have been a grain of sand that got in there (Finding Nemo!). It's working now and the chiller is re-installed. Good thing that didn't happen when I was on vacation!

I had an AquaClear 20 for the last few years on my pico with an inTank media basket. Worked great, but every now and then the impeller would get stuck and I'd have to poke it with a paperclip to get it to "catch" and start again.

 

I've found many of the impellers on HOBs like to randomly get stuck.  I would guess most of them are some kind of ac reluctance motor? Keeping the impeller and other parts clean will help, but still happened to me here and there.

 

That ice is nuts - definitely looks effective at cooling!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
yoshii
11 hours ago, East1 said:

Kinda, with plants it's a little different, I've basically built the entire growing substrate onto a swamp cooler so the whole thing cools itself just via passive air movement aided by the water used for irrigation. I do use a fan in the room it's in when it gets really hot which helps with cooling

Wow sounds like a genius setup! Do you know how much it's able to cool the water that way?

7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So glad you were home. Ice  Ice not nice baby!

I know! It was crazy to see the ice buildup 😦 But it melted off pretty quickly

2 hours ago, Break said:

I had an AquaClear 20 for the last few years on my pico with an inTank media basket. Worked great, but every now and then the impeller would get stuck and I'd have to poke it with a paperclip to get it to "catch" and start again.

 

I've found many of the impellers on HOBs like to randomly get stuck.  I would guess most of them are some kind of ac reluctance motor? Keeping the impeller and other parts clean will help, but still happened to me here and there.

 

That ice is nuts - definitely looks effective at cooling!

Yes I've noticed that on previous Aquaclears. One old one I'd have to paperclip start it every time I plugged it back in after tank maintenance. But I tried that with this one and it was very stuck. I had to use large tweezers to wiggle out the impeller.

 

I did notice some sand was in the filter chamber, so it must have been getting sucked up through the HOB somehow. I should just clean it more often 😅

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
East1
2 hours ago, yoshii said:

Wow sounds like a genius setup! Do you know how much it's able to cool the water that way?

 

not sure about the water temp, I focus more on the temp of the root zone, where it's able to get a few degrees c

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

That ice on the probe is wild :scarry: 

 

I can't wait to see you set up the new tank! 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...