SaltCritters.com

Old School Cool

asting

On 5/4/2019 at 1:13 AM, yoshii said:

Is that one of those "Mini Complete Tanks" nice to this pico? I just recently discovered those, it looks so tiny next to this tank!

Yes it is! They are pretty cool, albeit slightly pointless haha. I don't bother with ATO - just change 50% of water every other week when i do the other tanks.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:13 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

I love bananabutt :lol::wub:

He is a household favorite!

On 5/4/2019 at 12:30 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Nice tank!  I've been slowly setting up the 7.5 gallon version.  The arch is really nice, I think it will look cool covered in zoas.  A question, I noticed in the photo of your maxi mini there is brown stuff on the rock and some bubbles, does the brown stuff grow long strings with the bubbles attached?  I don't want to scare you, but it reminds me of dinos a little bit, I've had them a couple times and hate them so much.

Thanks! No dinos, just some diatoms and detritus. Appreciate the concern!

On another note, i haven't given a ton of attention to the pico. Still doing water changes, but it's mostly on auto pilot. I may add a little more flow with a fountain pump because it seems to let detritus gather easily.

In other news - i got a 175g tank from someone locally (60x30x22) and have spent the last day moving, setting up plumbing, making a sump, etc. It's pretty excited and i'm looking forward to a few larger fish! Pico will be sticking around, but may not keep past the end of the contest.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, asting said:

Yes it is! They are pretty cool, albeit slightly pointless haha. I don't bother with ATO - just change 50% of water every other week when i do the other tanks.

On another note, i haven't given a ton of attention to the pico. Still doing water changes, but it's mostly on auto pilot. I may add a little more flow with a fountain pump because it seems to let detritus gather easily.

In other news - i got a 175g tank from someone locally (60x30x22) and have spent the last day moving, setting up plumbing, making a sump, etc. It's pretty excited and i'm looking forward to a few larger fish! Pico will be sticking around, but may not keep past the end of the contest.

Well congrats on the huge reef tank!!!

someone offered me a 100g for free the other day, I wish I had accepted it

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Well congrats on the huge reef tank!!!

someone offered me a 100g for free the other day, I wish I had accepted it

ha mine was not free, and i think with other equipment it's far from.

Still, i'm keeping it relatively budget friendly, 40B sump i built, Jebao wavemakers and return pump, have one black box "165w" fixture and buying two more. Already have some rock (80# which will give me a few decent structures - not a fan of the stack of rocks), 120# of sand. Just need a protein skimmer really.

The wife sort of accepted a large tank, but didn't expect one 30" deep. with plumbing and the skin it is roughly 36" off the wall.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, ef4life said:

That’s awesome on the big 175, I’d love to get a 5-6ft long tank someday 

Thanks! Mine is 60 wide, 30 front to back, 22 tall (closer to 171 i think). still, quite a big tank because it is shallow.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
On 5/5/2019 at 12:06 PM, asting said:

You’re making a sump!?

😲

58 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

You’re making a sump!?

😲

making is generous - just added baffles, trimming the rim to have brackets fit. Just used a 40B.

13 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Are you making a build thread for all to see?

Nothing yet, but I've been taking photos. The tank was pretty dirty when I got it, but I scraped. Still lots of now scraped gunk. As a sneak peek here's the dual 20L QT setup. Dual ATO, air pump, ac30 and 70 on side.

AXAWQWU.jpg

• Like 4

First, non 2.5 things:

y48rvDS.jpg

175 leak testing. had one bulkhead i tightened a quarter turn and no more drips. i have no clue what i'm doing with the gate valves and overflows but i get it pretty quiet. drained this morning and am filling with RODI now. i'll adjust salinity in the tank (because my brute cans are in the basement and i'd rather not bring the water up 5g at a time).

I also went to the LFS for some pico things, and they had a bogo offer!

860Jxev.jpg

I've always wanted a dragon moray and seeing them in person was amazing. I did not pick them up, and instead got the previously afforementioned bogo frags. I got a type of paly and zoa rock which were added to the zoa scape. $20 isn't too bad. I am not super fond of this LFS, as their frag bin is like brown montis and acros. very little color, but i was happy to grab these things.

I also added a tiny fountain pump for some added flow. it's helping a bit but there's still some detritus

TrhlmMq.jpg

83LAA3Y.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3
pricewayne
4 minutes ago, asting said:

First, non 2.5 things:

y48rvDS.jpg

175 leak testing. had one bulkhead i tightened a quarter turn and no more drips. i have no clue what i'm doing with the gate valves and overflows but i get it pretty quiet. drained this morning and am filling with RODI now. i'll adjust salinity in the tank (because my brute cans are in the basement and i'd rather not bring the water up 5g at a time).

860Jxev.jpg

I've always wanted a dragon moray and seeing them in person was amazing. I did not pick them up, and instead got the previously afforementioned bogo frags. I got a type of paly and zoa rock which were added to the zoa scape. $20 isn't too bad. I am not super fond of this LFS, as their frag bin is like brown montis and acros. very little color, but i was happy to grab these things.

I also added a tiny fountain pump for some added flow. it's helping a bit but there's still some detritus

TrhlmMq.jpg

83LAA3Y.jpg

Dragon morays are so awesome.

This guy is extra salty
6 hours ago, asting said:

First, non 2.5 things:

y48rvDS.jpg

860Jxev.jpg

TrhlmMq.jpg

83LAA3Y.jpg

I want that RFA 

borneman I believe🤔

2 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I want that RFA 

borneman I believe🤔

Yeah i only found out its name with this build, but i've had it for three years. well i got one 3 years ago, and there are 3 i moved over to this tank. This one put up through some abuse in my 20L, including 12 hour power loss and 62 deg water. tough.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

That crab is great. 

I am in awe of your rockwork 

Thanks! He is ignoring the patch of bubbles up front though.

I am really pleased with the scape!

10 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Cool QT setup & 175!!!!  

Thanks! QT is going well. Lost one chromis to uronema but have put all the others through 4 rounds of furan. 

Also lost a tomini tang. The LA heatpack wasn't activated, and it never ate. Everyone else is doing well, although I did for a split second think the banggai's spots were ich haha.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That top down view!

0397BE53-790F-467A-820F-D26E06AD235F.png

Thanks! Also in view is the bubble algae the emerald crab ignores. I'll be getting an additonal/replacement.

Amazing top down view!!!

Everything's open & looks beautiful!

How are you liking the damsel in there, is it being a good model citizen?

Also, other than the emerald crab not eating the bubble algae, does it at least clean up other nuisance algae?

This guy is extra salty
3 hours ago, asting said:

Thanks! Also in view is the bubble algae the emerald crab ignores. I'll be getting an additonal/replacement.

It’s spherical water lettuce you might need that boost 

19 hours ago, Wendy said:

Amazing top down view!!!

Everything's open & looks beautiful!

How are you liking the damsel in there, is it being a good model citizen?

Also, other than the emerald crab not eating the bubble algae, does it at least clean up other nuisance algae?

The damsel is doing great! Very active, good personality! He might get "upgraded" to the big tank at the conclusion of the contest.

The emerald crab hasn't touched much - honestly i feed too heavily for him to be worried about the bubble algae. He gets plenty of mysid shrimp and flake. I'm trying to get decent growth out of zoos which i know like it a bit dirty.

• Like 2