inTank Media Baskets

Old School Cool

asting

31 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I have it on a timer so it comes on at whatever color you last left, but I like to change it during the day/night.

Fair enough. I wonder if an ir blaster and a raspberry pi could automate all of that... hm...

Okay, so a few updates:

First, got a hairy mushroom. pretty large. might frag it. Additionally, noticed my maxi-mini carpet nem was super PO'd, and it's because one of the Bourneman nems crawled under the rock. I tried to loosen it with a powerhead before giving up - it struck back and seems much happier now.

My thought process was both nems could move, so if they were really ticked they'd let go.

kFH390p.jpg

Also got my grow light and put some chaeto in.

taOUuGi.jpg

Finally, here's bananabutt:

KecNSKg.jpg

I did a 1.5g water change today, and ordered a zoanthid pack. That's my preferred arch covering, so we'll see how that goes.

• Like 8

fed again tonight. Banabutt much less timid than the first few days. swimming all over.

Question - i have a 1.5" RBTA. should i add it to the mix to really make the tank uninhabitle for coral?

Zoa pack coming tomorrow. it is just assorted common zoas, so i'll be gluing right away to the arch.

4NkeCfH.jpg

74hwi9V.jpg

fXPyoIH.jpg

imSm9HF.jpg

xFmNbzG.jpg

rYl2ymq.jpg

PnkctT3.jpg

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That name 😂

Great progress so far! Where is your new zoa pack coming in from?

Just an ebay seller. was one of the cheapest i could find. Would have preferred to buy from the classifieds here, but it seems livestock trading is nonexistent compared to what it was. Maybe it picks up in the summer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-6-Pc-Zoanthid-frag-pack-Live-Coral-Mushroom-Zoa/382850876032?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

Got the water station sort of put together. need to use up the last of my saltwater before i install the uniseals. Obviously need new DI resin, but i've been at 0 TDS so haven't been SUPER concerned.

dZqd0Z7.jpg

I also need to get an outlet to mount to the back panel, and have a wifi outlet to put heaters on (so i can mix up and heat the saltwater before a change). Also need a longer waste line for the RODI.

• Like 4

So my FIL was a tree grafter and has pretty extensive gardens. He retired a year or two ago and has been eyeing my little setups. The new one will go to him,  along with some live rock and mixed water. 

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
45 minutes ago, asting said:

So my FIL was a tree grafter and has pretty extensive gardens. He retired a year or two ago and has been eyeing my little setups. The new one will go to him,  along with some live rock and mixed water. 

That is very sweet of you!

Is he going to join nano reef too?

and start a build thread?

6 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That is very sweet of you!

Is he going to join nano reef too?

and start a build thread?

Ah i'm doubtful. he doesn't use a smartphone even. I'll probably just get him set up with some softies. I ordered the asta 20 for this tank (because i want better color), so he'll inherit the old fixutre, which has seemed fine for my zoas.

The zoas were glued along the arch - and all seem fine except one frag never opened up and seems to be wasting away. Still, for $70 not the worst deal. The DOA return policies are pretty ridiculous. of course i couldn't tell when it was received, nor within 3 hours.

This guy is extra salty
2 minutes ago, asting said:

Ah i'm doubtful. he doesn't use a smartphone even. I'll probably just get him set up with some softies. I ordered the asta 20 for this tank (because i want better color), so he'll inherit the old fixutre, which has seemed fine for my zoas.

The zoas were glued along the arch - and all seem fine except one frag never opened up and seems to be wasting away. Still, for $70 not the worst deal. The DOA return policies are pretty ridiculous. of course i couldn't tell when it was received, nor within 3 hours.

Yes a lot of DOA policy’s are ridiculous.

but hey how can you blame them.🤷‍♂️

im kind of glad the ole lady is home for the next couple months so she can acclimate corals for me keyword is if and when I buy them 😂 😭

• Like 1

Few photos. Added a trochus and 2 cerith snails yesterday.

FTS

6enQOJ1.jpg

S5SLnJH.jpg

Tons of baby polyps

aD4w8no.jpg

Maxi has been acting a little weird, but i'm just trying to give it stability

iPBsldB.jpg

Some zoas

opmp5jB.jpg

tc6aYf5.jpg

5kOXEcP.jpg

BB.

Went to my LFS and am super disappointed in their livestock. their frag tank is maybe 200 pieces of coral, 150 of which are brown sps frags. Very little in terms of softies, and next to nothing with color. Guess local reefers and online are the way to go.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Swapped out to the asta 20 today. Have it dialed to a setting i like, but may play with it and set up a raspberry pi to ramp down/up in the morning/evening (could be a fun project).

New light is definitely more directional, but controllable and possibly brighter? I'll save the old for a quarantie tank maybe.

DfgvIhs.jpg

gj6rDGa.jpg

BOC2rbz.jpg

UhqM7JF.jpg

WKnVlof.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
On 4/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, asting said:

Swapped out to the asta 20 today. Have it dialed to a setting i like, but may play with it and set up a raspberry pi to ramp down/up in the morning/evening (could be a fun project).

New light is definitely more directional, but controllable and possibly brighter? I'll save the old for a quarantie tank maybe.

DfgvIhs.jpg

gj6rDGa.jpg

BOC2rbz.jpg

UhqM7JF.jpg

WKnVlof.jpg

Your reef is looking amazing, great work. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, asting said:

Few photos. Added a trochus and 2 cerith snails yesterday.

FTS

6enQOJ1.jpg

S5SLnJH.jpg

Tons of baby polyps

aD4w8no.jpg

Maxi has been acting a little weird, but i'm just trying to give it stability

iPBsldB.jpg

Some zoas

opmp5jB.jpg

tc6aYf5.jpg

5kOXEcP.jpg

BB.

Went to my LFS and am super disappointed in their livestock. their frag tank is maybe 200 pieces of coral, 150 of which are brown sps frags. Very little in terms of softies, and next to nothing with color. Guess local reefers and online are the way to go.

Nice tank!  I've been slowly setting up the 7.5 gallon version.  The arch is really nice, I think it will look cool covered in zoas.  A question, I noticed in the photo of your maxi mini there is brown stuff on the rock and some bubbles, does the brown stuff grow long strings with the bubbles attached?  I don't want to scare you, but it reminds me of dinos a little bit, I've had them a couple times and hate them so much.

Is that one of those "Mini Complete Tanks" nice to this pico? I just recently discovered those, it looks so tiny next to this tank!

• Like 1