Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Now to see if I can even find one. The ones with blue are rare. It could be months before I find one. They come in all different morphs so it's kinda like a hope and prayer that I find one that looks like that pic. 🤞🤞

Have you looked at LLLReptile?  I’ve seen some on there before

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Have you looked at LLLReptile?  I’ve seen some on there before

Umm no but thanks I'll check them out. 🤗

Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Dave come claim your pet.

02F9A391-3450-4F09-AFF6-E45ECDCC01E4.png

Omg!! I'd so take him. Looks like a super cuddler 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Umm no but thanks I'll check them out. 🤗

Omg!! I'd so take him. Looks like a super cuddler 🙂

Hide yo cats though

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Just when I thought finding lights for a reef  tank was hard... Try finding it for a reptile. 🙄. I did find one good led fixture that had the right uvb spectrum. It's about 70 bucks. Not all that bad. I might go t5 though.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Know your luck with animals I have money on the cat kicking seven shades out of "Burt" (Gator)

Oh god I think merlin would try and #### that gater up. :lol:

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Oooh gator nugget.  Something I haven’t had in forever.  

I was part of the rescue and recovery action right after Katrina. I'd go in in my canoe every day and bring out bodies and gators. There were people that would cook them up for all of the people who were displaced by the storm. Some of the best damn food I've ever had was cooked on an open fire in a cast iron cauldron.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
33 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

When I look at that all I see is blackened gator nuggets or gumbo or jambalaya.😄

I've never had gater, but i've heard it's actually really good. Is it gamey at all?

Just now, StinkyBunny said:

I was part of the rescue and recovery action right after Katrina. I'd go in in my canoe every day and bring out bodies and gators. There were people that would cook them up for all of the people who were displaced by the storm. Some of the best damn food I've ever had was cooked on an open fire in a cast iron cauldron.

cajun gater is all i can think of. That sounds amazing actually..... 

31 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I've never had gater, but i've heard it's actually really good. Is it gamey at all?

It was amazing, hot enough to take the paint off a battleship, but man, the flavor was amazing!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

It was amazing, hot enough to take the paint off a battleship, but man, the flavor was amazing!!

I'll have to try it sometime. I like food 😄

41 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It’s a cross between really firm fish and chicken, not fishy tho. Very mild actually, takes on whatever flavor cover you throw at it, I’d imagine. 

2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

It's not really gamey, pretty oily though.

Hmm, bad fryer?  Don’t recall the meat itself being oily/fatty.  Again, it’s been a long time. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Just a little update while I'm thinking about it. I did my 5th dose of vibrant on weds and so far I'm a believer. I've upped it to two doses a week and i'll continue on until I feel the tank is mostly algae free. So far, I've noticed the algae thinning out and it's becoming way easier to suck out with the baster. It's also starting to blow off the rocks more. I figure if I keep on this and my normal routine I should be pretty free of algae in a couple months.

My blenny is doing amazing. I went from thinking he wasn't going to eat to damn, this fish eats algae like it's going out of style. After some research, I've decided I'm not going to try and get him to eat prepared foods. He cleans the glass of film algae pretty well and fairly fast. My test will be if I can keep film algae growing on the back wall all the time for him without getting a hair algae outbreak. So it's a huge balancing act.

So far the tank is doing well, everything is happy and i'm actually happy with it. I think things are starting to balance out now. I don't wanna jinx anything though. I've basically stopped messing with it. I dose it when I remember and I do water changes. I blow the rocks off and suck out loose algae. I suck out shit at the bottom of the tank. Once every couple days I turn the tank into a snow globe to get any remaining detritus in the water column. I realized the less I worry about it, the better off it is. How long that'll hold true I have no idea, but i'll stick with what is working right now. I know the corals pretty well and I also know when they are just being pissy so I just ignore it. A few days later no more pissy coral.

Alright, so that's my long novel of an update.

Thanks for sticking around everyone. I'm gonna get this tank looking like a masterpiece soon enough. I'll try and get some nice shots of the tank tonight or maybe sometime tomorrow.

If anyone is thinking of trying Vibrant...… do it. Just take it slow like with everything else. I started out one dose a week for the first month and I've only just now switched to a double dose.

The biggest thing I heard from BRS investigates was if it took you 3 months to get the field of algae expect 3 months to get it under control. So i'm hopeful and it does seem it's working slowly.  

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Holy paragraph batman....................:wink:

There are a few paragraphs. I feel like I broke it up appropriately 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Just a little update while I'm thinking about it. I did my 5th dose of vibrant on weds and so far I'm a believer. I've upped it to two doses a week and i'll continue on until I feel the tank is mostly algae free. So far, I've noticed the algae thinning out and it's becoming way easier to suck out with the baster. It's also starting to blow off the rocks more. I figure if I keep on this and my normal routine I should be pretty free of algae in a couple months.

My blenny is doing amazing. I went from thinking he wasn't going to eat to damn, this fish eats algae like it's going out of style. After some research, I've decided I'm not going to try and get him to eat prepared foods. He cleans the glass of film algae pretty well and fairly fast. My test will be if I can keep film algae growing on the back wall all the time for him without getting a hair algae outbreak. So it's a huge balancing act.

So far the tank is doing well, everything is happy and i'm actually happy with it. I think things are starting to balance out now. I don't wanna jinx anything though. I've basically stopped messing with it. I dose it when I remember and I do water changes. I blow the rocks off and suck out loose algae. I suck out shit at the bottom of the tank. Once every couple days I turn the tank into a snow globe to get any remaining detritus in the water column. I realized the less I worry about it, the better off it is. How long that'll hold true I have no idea, but i'll stick with what is working right now. I know the corals pretty well and I also know when they are just being pissy so I just ignore it. A few days later no more pissy coral.

Alright, so that's my long novel of an update.

Thanks for sticking around everyone. I'm gonna get this tank looking like a masterpiece soon enough. I'll try and get some nice shots of the tank tonight or maybe sometime tomorrow.

If anyone is thinking of trying Vibrant...… do it. Just take it slow like with everything else. I started out one dose a week for the first month and I've only just now switched to a double dose.

The biggest thing I heard from BRS investigates was if it took you 3 months to get the field of algae expect 3 months to get it under control. So i'm hopeful and it does seem it's working slowly.  

tl;dr

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
21 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

tl;dr

Ummm is that code for... #### yes you're doing a fantastic job?? 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4