Top Shelf Aquatics

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

6 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Ime turbos will eat that shit right up 

I had two pincushion urchins in the sump... one got elevated to the DT, literally. Seems like a grazing machine now.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

Ime turbos will eat that shit right up 

I never wanted one cause I heard they knock everything over, but if it's gonna help me trim the fields I'll grab two 😁

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I never wanted one cause I heard they knock everything over, but if it's gonna help me trim the fields I'll grab two 😁

Nah if your stuff is glued or solid they're not really that destructive. I have ALWAYS had turbos on my reef. They're just the best when it comes to all algae. I have three for my 40g. Go snag a few! 

• Like 3

They will but may eat it...................worse case if it doesnt work fry it up in some butter....................:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
32 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Nah if your stuff is glued or solid they're not really that destructive. I have ALWAYS had turbos on my reef. They're just the best when it comes to all algae. I have three for my 40g. Go snag a few! 

Nice, thanks very much 🙂

6 minutes ago, spectra said:

They will but may eat it...................worse case if it doesnt work fry it up in some butter....................:unsure:

Very good point 👌

• Like 1

Mine stick to the glass.............I have a few but not on the rocks much................like I said I love my urchin.............that thing will eat anything.................

I even tried this thing and it was a bust................:lol:

IMG_7382.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I tinkered with the aqamai pump last night. I ramped up the wave motion to try and get more flow to the bottom of the tank. I'm hoping that I don't get any splash over :ninja:.. on a good note tank looks pretty good at the moment. I added those snails and they seem to be helping *some* time will tell. I've been sucking out algae with the baster.

A few of the hammers and my blasto have been pissed off for a few weeks.. not sure whats goin on there. Water chemistry has been good and the montis look great. Question with the purple stylos though.. is it common to have no PE on the underside of the coral? So they are kinda on an angle in the tank and the side that's down is where I have no PE. PE on the rest of it though.. kinda weird.

• Like 1

I tinkered with the aqamai pump last night. I ramped up the wave motion to try and get more flow to the bottom of the tank. I'm hoping that I don't get any splash over :ninja:.. on a good note tank looks pretty good at the moment. I added those snails and they seem to be helping *some* time will tell. I've been sucking out algae with the baster.

A few of the hammers and my blasto have been pissed off for a few weeks.. not sure whats goin on there. Water chemistry has been good and the montis look great. Question with the purple stylos though.. is it common to have no PE on the underside of the coral? So they are kinda on an angle in the tank and the side that's down is where I have no PE. PE on the rest of it though.. kinda weird.

Good to hear some progress on the algae. Stylo has always been fluffy for me, some parts may not show a lot of the purple, but polyps are always out.  Maybe whatever is bugging the LPS is bugging stylo too?

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
41 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Good to hear some progress on the algae. Stylo has always been fluffy for me, some parts may not show a lot of the purple, but polyps are always out.  Maybe whatever is bugging the LPS is bugging stylo too?

Hmm maybe. I'll grab some pics tonight so you can see. It's weird cause it seems it's the side that no light is hitting. On a side note, those I have almost a full 3rd head of that zoa and it's got more deep orange on the disc in parts. Is it supposed to be all deep orange? I'll grab some pics tonight.. I meant to get them the other day but it's been a rough couple weeks for me and i'm beat when I get home.

edit: I just thought of something, maybe it's nothing though, the stylos are on the left side of the tank and my wave maker on the right. I wonder if the water coming across the tank and bouncing off the wall is pissing the polyps off because where they show no PE I can see the water movement hitting dead on.... :mellow:

edit edit: I'm gonna take a youtube video and post it so you can see the water movement against it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming to a forum near you..

sometime around Christmas? :haha:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Ok so here goes the update......

Since my clownfish murdered my little chromis I decided I needed something bigger. I ended up trying my had at another lawnmower blenny. For about a week I thought he wasn't eating and got nervous. Then come this past Sunday he started picking at the layers of film algae on the back wall. I never scrape it cause I liked the look of it. Well, my blenny has almost completely cleaned the back wall. So, he's eating 😂. I'm gonna have to get him to eat other food for when he's done.

On the algae front I'm winning the battle finally 💪. So, with tons of cleanup and not winning I threw a hail Mary. I saw someone mention vibrant and thought might as well give it a shot. I've tried everything damn thing under the sun. I'm on my third week and the algae is slowly coming off the rocks. I am sucking it out with a turkey baster and it's starting to loose grip. I'm actually going to up the dose to twice a week now. I had been easing into it with the min dose per week. I figure in about 2 or 3 months I may be free of it.

The coral front is going absolutely great. I think a couple corals just had a mood swing. Stylos are doing awesome, all the Monti's look amazing, blasto is all puffy and looking amazing and the hammers and frogspawns are growing new heads. The digis are growing and the zoas are looking awesome.

Ok so if you are still reading to this point thanks a bunch.

Here are some pics 🙂🙂

IMG_20191212_211246.jpg

IMG_20191212_211236_MP.jpg

IMG_20191212_211228_MP.jpg

IMG_20191212_211222_MP.jpg

Hmm it won't let me add any more pics 🤔

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So since my frog died Ive decided on this

It's a day gecko. Thing is gorgeous 😍. Now to find one. I have a feeling it's going to cost more than a torch coral 🙄

Screenshot_20191212-220315.png

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It's a day gecko. Thing is gorgeous 😍. Now to find one. I have a feeling it's going to cost more than a torch coral 🙄

GEICO!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, mitten_reef said:

GEICO!!!!

Hell ya, it's such a beautiful animal. I'm hitting up the reptile store on Sunday to see if he can get me one. Not looking forward to seeing how much it's gonna cost 😬. That may very well be my only Christmas present 😂

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Okay now that’s cute. I can support this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Okay now that’s cute. I can support this.

Now to see if I can even find one. The ones with blue are rare. It could be months before I find one. They come in all different morphs so it's kinda like a hope and prayer that I find one that looks like that pic. 🤞🤞

• Like 1