inTank Media Baskets

Does anyone ever find this hobby elitest?

Frag Factory

6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Non-elitist frag packs, get your non-elitist frag packs heeeeerre 🤣

I see you are changing your market strategy.  I have a new one for you..

1.jpg

• Like 3
HarryPotter
2 minutes ago, Weikel said:

1.jpg

If that initial frag is a hundo, that’ll work!! 

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Weikel said:

1.jpg

And you unleashed the Oprah? This thread is now beneath me. 

• Haha 1
johnmaloney
On 8/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, Frag Factory said:

His response is what shocked me "oh yeah, not much money?"... I respond with "what do you mean?".

"people with nano tanks don't really do it because they have lots to spend, right?"

Lol! Nano tanks being less expensive. 

There is no reason to be elitist towards other reef keepers IMO. That is what they made freshwater people for. You can just put a hose in the tank, how hard is this? 🙃

One day I will be joking about freshwater people and Takashi Amano will show up with this:

ada-2009_dave.jpg

and say "Nice chaeto, bro."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
Perthreefer

I have found now and again people in my area have the mindset that the bigger the tank you have the higher level of reefkeeper you are. I had a 5ft 150g reef and still had people with 6ft or 8ft tanks calling my tank little and throwing comments like 'when you upgrade to a big tank' into conversations.

My 30G nano is more expensive than a lot of reef tanks out there, and that isn't a bragging comment but more to highlight that owning a nano doesn't mean you have no money to invest in the hobby.

There are two ways to look at it, large tank owners can keep the higher end fish that command the big prices, however nano and pico owners have tanks that are far harder to maintain water quality in. A nano tank full of Acropora would have to be one of the most appreciated reefs to own due to the difficulty in maintaining ideal water parameters in such a small environment.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Perthreefer said:

I have found now and again people in my area have the mindset that the bigger the tank you have the higher level of reefkeeper you are. I had a 5ft 150g reef and still had people with 6ft or 8ft tanks calling my tank little and throwing comments like 'when you upgrade to a big tank' into conversations.

My 30G nano is more expensive than a lot of reef tanks out there, and that isn't a bragging comment but more to highlight that owning a nano doesn't mean you have no money to invest in the hobby.

There are two ways to look at it, large tank owners can keep the higher end fish that command the big prices, however nano and pico owners have tanks that are far harder to maintain water quality in. A nano tank full of Acropora would have to be one of the most appreciated reefs to own due to the difficulty in maintaining ideal water parameters in such a small environment.

My definition of successful reef keeping is to do as little as possible, while enjoying this hobby and whatever is thriving in your tank. 

IMHO nano tanks are a LOT more challenging than big glass boxes. 

Also, nano tanks aren’t necessarily cheaper to run or setup. 

• Like 4

What I've noticed happens to me a lot is that most of the guys that are running LFS are "old timers". They aren't interested in doing new things because what they've been doing works for them and if you try and ask questions that are contrary to what they know they get defensive. Every one of my LFS still believe in using Damsels to cycle tanks, I've brought up how there are more ways to cycle tanks than using damsels and they go off about how the cycle isn't going to last or it'll cause the tank to crash later. Sadly I do have to agree with you because the LFS is going away just like other brick and mortar stores, people would rather go online and source goods and livestock because the people online care more about what they are doing. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ksadam said:

What I've noticed happens to me a lot is that most of the guys that are running LFS are "old timers". They aren't interested in doing new things because what they've been doing works for them and if you try and ask questions that are contrary to what they know they get defensive. Every one of my LFS still believe in using Damsels to cycle tanks, I've brought up how there are more ways to cycle tanks than using damsels and they go off about how the cycle isn't going to last or it'll cause the tank to crash later. Sadly I do have to agree with you because the LFS is going away just like other brick and mortar stores, people would rather go online and source goods and livestock because the people online care more about what they are doing. 

I much prefer going into a store to buy my livestock and dry goods than online. I like to see what I'm getting, the condition the tanks are in and I hate waiting. The shipping is ridiculous too.

I just wish we had more stores to choose from.

I'd much prefer to buy/trade with local hobbiests unfortunately there aren't that many locally selling here and the ones that do, charge the same or more than the stores.

• Like 2

@Clown79 If I had any really good LFS for livestock selection I would agree that I want to see the conditions the livestock are living in before buying, that being said the price my local stores charge for coral frags, and livestock in general is on the premium side for sub premium quality. I buy all my dry goods online because again my local stores charge significantly more than online vendors and at least with dry goods I can usually get free shipping. 

Does anyone ever find this hobby elitist?

Well it's not just local fish stores.  You see it online too.  It's more pronounced on certain other sites, but it creeps up here sometimes too.  Luckily, not all that often.  Obviously we don't give anybody crap about keeping small tanks, but we can sometime come off a bit cliquey.  That said, this is usually a pretty inviting community.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Well it's not just local fish stores.  You see it online too.  It's more pronounced on certain other sites, but it creeps up here sometimes too.  Luckily, not all that often.  Obviously we don't give anybody crap about keeping small tanks, but we can sometime come off a bit cliquey.  That said, this is usually a pretty inviting community.

That is as long as you stay out of the lounge...they are monsters 😀

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Aw, they aren't all that bad.  Maybe a little tough on newbies.

I think I made one comment one time and then got chased back to my safe place lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, ksadam said:

@Clown79 If I had any really good LFS for livestock selection I would agree that I want to see the conditions the livestock are living in before buying, that being said the price my local stores charge for coral frags, and livestock in general is on the premium side for sub premium quality. I buy all my dry goods online because again my local stores charge significantly more than online vendors and at least with dry goods I can usually get free shipping. 

If you are in the US you have so many options.

I'm in Cda and the options are limited both store front and online, prices are comparable in either option. 

I think we may have 3 or 4 stores that ship livestock.

Shipping is never free here until you spend over $100 for dry goods(u pay a premium on shipping for salt, sand, rocks, tanks) and livestock shipping isn't free until you spend $400+.

• Wow 1
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'm in Cda and the options are limited both store front and online, prices are comparable in either option. 

Shipping is never free here until you spend over $100 for dry goods(u pay a premium on shipping for salt, sand, rocks, tanks) and livestock shipping isn't free until you spend $400+.

Ouch!  Makes me appreciate BRS more and more.  

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

So in Canada can you order from brs and stuff or is the online way different. I just assumed you go to google and pull up the same stuff we would...How does it work? Sorry for the silly question..I've never really thought about what other countries are like when online...figured it was the same

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, specore said:

Ouch!  Makes me appreciate BRS more and more.  

Man it's so frustrating! It was a lot better 10+yrs ago but its dwindled.

The sales suck here, that's for sure....so does the tax. Lol.

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So in Canada can you order from brs and stuff or is the online way different. I just assumed you go to google and pull up the same stuff we would...How does it work? Sorry for the silly question..I've never really thought about what other countries are like when online...figured it was the same

We cannot order livestock unless its within cda and most Us stores won't ship livestock because import/export laws and tariffs.

Only certain dry stock can be ordered in US online stores(most chemicals/foods are not allowed) but by the time you pay the exchange rate, the international shipping, and then the duties- it's not even worth it.

So we have very few online stores dedicated to reef supplies and literally no more than 5 canadian online stores you can get livestock from. 

The hobby has died here. It used to be popular but not so much now.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

We cannot order livestock unless its within cda and most Us stores won't ship livestock because import/export laws and tariffs.

Only certain dry stock can be ordered in US online stores(most chemicals/foods are not allowed) but by the time you pay the exchange rate, the international shipping, and then the duties- it's not even worth it.

So we have very few online stores dedicated to reef supplies and literally no more than 5 canadian online stores you can get livestock from. 

The hobby has died here. It used to be popular but not so much now.

omg I never realized that. Thanks for the info.