Innovative Marine Aquariums

Does anyone ever find this hobby elitest?

Frag Factory

A good business owner and a true enthusiast, helps everybody.

Nanos are actually much more difficult than larger, more easily stabilized, tanks.  Potentially more higher margin sales, even more frequent sales....for example a 10% water change on a 100g tank once a month is less than let’s say a 28g that’s on a 25% change every single week needing premixed water—probably one of their top margin items...visiting the store more, browsing more.

I have around 8 LFS around me, I’d dare so none would even blink wrong at any customer that can chose to go somewhere else or worst yet post something to the local reef club where nano keepers are a good portion of the business. Nothing to be upset about, it’s just ignorance.

• Like 1

I live up on a mountain, and there's really only one LFS that's close enough to get to regularly that I trust. The others in my area are filled with sick and dying fish, ridiculous prices and pests galore.  Now the future of that store seems to be shaky, they're open much less now and tanks once filled with vibrant life are faded with far fewer fish. The owner would mark up the prices when he was there, but they kept the fish in quarentine for two weeks, the employees were super knowledgeable and interested in my success, and I really appreciated the help and care put into it. There's another one that's more of a wholesale outlet that one can find absolutely anything for a great price, but with no guarantees.

While there's a culture of overpricing corals and  equipment, The community has been extremely supportive throughout my reefing journey and I love the passion and enthusiasm that people have shown me. While the prices can be prohibitive, It's still totally possible to do it on a budget while still maintaining an excellent system. Money just makes it easier.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Lypto said:

I live up on a mountain, and there's really only one LFS that's close enough to get to regularly that I trust. The others in my area are filled with sick and dying fish, ridiculous prices and pests galore.  Now the future of that store seems to be shaky, they're open much less now and tanks once filled with vibrant life are faded with far fewer fish. The owner would mark up the prices when he was there, but they kept the fish in quarentine for two weeks, the employees were super knowledgeable and interested in my success, and I really appreciated the help and care put into it. There's another one that's more of a wholesale outlet that one can find absolutely anything for a great price, but with no guarantees.

While there's a culture of overpricing corals and  equipment, The community has been extremely supportive throughout my reefing journey and I love the passion and enthusiasm that people have shown me. While the prices can be prohibitive, It's still totally possible to do it on a budget while still maintaining an excellent system. Money just makes it easier.

Unfortunately I feel like this happens to all good LFS's.  They eventually fade as the owner looses interest and/or moves on to other things.  I think the brutal truth is it is a tough way to scratch out a living.  On the other hand the new thing seems to be hobbyists running reef stores out of their homes.  Within an hour of me there have been two new "stores" opened by hobbyists with setups in their homes/basements who do it as a second job.  I haven't had a chance to visit them yet, but one even claims to have 1200 frags.  

Here's a video he posted of his setup:

These people are hobbyists first with low overhead and I'm really hoping this becomes the model for the reefing industry.  

• Like 1
Euphylin me
13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

There's a local group online in my country that touts the whole 'you MUST have a skimmer to own a reef'. When I pointed out that a skimmer wasn't necessary, it didn't sit well with the 'veterans' of the forum. After failing to argue their points, they then resorted to attacking both my gender and race. Their new argument was that 'women' shouldn't own a fish tank (both fresh and salty), and should belong in the kitchen, cooking *them a meal. Ah, bless their souls. I left. It's not worth earning a migraine over some dipsh*ts who aren't willing to open themselves to the possibility that there are multiple ways to run a reef tank, and not just *their way. 

that's terrible! and yes, the hobby has come along way.....from a time where keeping a clownfish was hard😄

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 hours ago, Sancho said:

am kidding but that’s the bulshit that still takes place today. That mindset is ####tarded and shows the ignorance of many in this hobby. This is why I hate most people. If anything if you want to get into sexuality and reefing women are actually  probably better at this than men.....I have no patience for anything but my wife is completely oposite. patience is key to this hobby and honestly most men...me included have very little patience. 

Right on @Sancho

People make me so mad now a days.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

I also hate sellers that do the whole blue LEDs with orange filter. What bull. If the coral aint going to look like that with my eyes, I don't give a damn. WYSIWYG= "what you see is what you get", not "what you see is under royal blues, viewing from above, and wearing orange glasses."

Sunlight FTW. I ask $15 for encrusted frags of this and people turn it down all the time, since it is "Red Millipora" instead of giving it a fancy preppy-ass name. 

wkYLiAp.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I also hate sellers that do the whole blue LEDs with orange filter. What bull. If the coral aint going to look like that with my eyes, I don't give a damn. WYSIWYG= "what you see is what you get", not "what you see is under royal blues, viewing from above, and wearing orange glasses."

Sunlight FTW. I ask $15 for encrusted frags of this and people turn it down all the time, since it is "Red Millipora" instead of giving it a fancy preppy-ass name. 

wkYLiAp.jpg

That's beautiful.  Once my tank matures a little more I may hit you up for some frags 🙂

Frag Factory
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

wkYLiAp.jpg

That's not a red mili bud, it's a sun tipped strawberry shortcake sir...

I also hate these names, who can honestly keep up with it all. Insanity. 

LFS's that label corals "yellow goblin eyes" and expect you to pick those out of a 4 foot shelf with 8 different yellow Zoa's on need to #### off also.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

That's not a red mili bud, it's a sun tipped strawberry shortcake sir...

I also hate these names, who can honestly keep up with it all. Insanity. 

LFS's that label corals "yellow goblin eyes" and expect you to pick those out of a 4 foot shelf with 8 different yellow Zoa's on need to #### off also.

I get corrected on this every time I pick something out. "Hey, I'll take those green lookin' zoas". "Oh, you mean the Suddam Hussein Butthole Lollipop Smucker Bumps". "...sure....the green ones...." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

^haha

Paying $50 for shipping isn't appealing. Paying $50 for a 1" frag at the LFS isn't appealing. I'm not into the fancy names, but I've already talked to my wife about retirement planning:

1500+ g system with all of the crazy fancy stuffs that I'll sell for $10/frag.

Screw you supply/demand.

#takethat

I HATE the names.

They are different in every store and it's a gimmick to charge more. 

My friend owns a store, when you order livestock, its ordered by zoanthid or euphyllia not eagle eye, superman, or mutant etc. Etc. 

• Like 2
KW NANOREEF
10 hours ago, specore said:

Unfortunately I feel like this happens to all good LFS's.  They eventually fade as the owner looses interest and/or moves on to other things.  I think the brutal truth is it is a tough way to scratch out a living.  On the other hand the new thing seems to be hobbyists running reef stores out of their homes.  Within an hour of me there have been two new "stores" opened by hobbyists with setups in their homes/basements who do it as a second job.  I haven't had a chance to visit them yet, but one even claims to have 1200 frags.  

Here's a video he posted of his setup:

These people are hobbyists first with low overhead and I'm really hoping this becomes the model for the reefing industry.  

Me and @Nano Nano Boo Boo will get you there ASAP! I just called Bourbon Country Corals I cant wait! Large torches for $40

• Like 1
A Little Blue

I think, fancy names are very important to justify spending stupid $$$ to indulge yourself in latest flavor of the month club. 🤣

Interestingly enough, names of all known wipe out causes that turn that overpriced stupidity into a gooey slime, stay the same. 🙄

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

There's a local group online in my country that touts the whole 'you MUST have a skimmer to own a reef'. When I pointed out that a skimmer wasn't necessary, it didn't sit well with the 'veterans' of the forum. After failing to argue their points, they then resorted to attacking both my gender and race. Their new argument was that 'women' shouldn't own a fish tank (both fresh and salty), and should belong in the kitchen, cooking *them a meal. Ah, bless their souls. I left. It's not worth earning a migraine over some dipsh*ts who aren't willing to open themselves to the possibility that there are multiple ways to run a reef tank, and not just *their way. 

Eeeshhhh, well I figured the smaller feet were to get closer the the kitchen counter. Barefoot and pregnant and all that. Maybe you woke me. 

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, Sancho said:

Yeah but your a women what do you know?

I am kidding but that’s the bulshit that still takes place today. That mindset is ####tarded and shows the ignorance of many in this hobby. This is why I hate most people. If anything if you want to get into sexuality and reefing women are actually  probably better at this than men.....I have no patience for anything but my wife is completely oposite. patience is key to this hobby and honestly most men...me included have very little patience. 

You hate most everybody cause your wife is imaginary. It’s ok bro. We’re here for you. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

Eeeshhhh, well I figured the smaller feet were to get closer the the kitchen counter. Barefoot and pregnant and all that. Maybe you woke me. 

Huh? you drinkin? :lol: cause I am

ReefSafeSolutions

There's a local shop here that has pretty good prices but I always feel like they never want me in the store.  It's pretty awkward every time I go in.  I don't know if it's because I'm not "buddy buddy" with the owners like some people I see in there or what.  But it doesn't bother me because they have good prices.

Well, they used to...I guess they are still technically considered good, but I get cheaper frags from the local community.  The shop here sells their stuff for just barely over wholesale.  I'm convinced their shop, as well as almost any other tropical fish/coral store, is just a holding facility for their equipment/livestock while the bulk of their business is done in custom tank installs/tank servicing, etc.  There's no way you can make a living in my area with the "buy low sell high" model.  The markup just can't go high enough to make it worth it.  We all want these rad looking pieces but don't want to pay through the nose.  When you introduce the service industry, the margins can improve significantly.

This local shop though...I used to score some rad Euphyllia from them, but with the weird import laws from Fiji or whatever, their prices skyrocketed.  They're asking for $100+ per head for regular torches.  That's insane.  I understand the why, but it's still insane.

Just now, Sancho said:

Huh? you drinkin? :lol: cause I am

Drinking? How bout drunk? And I’m on pacific time. 

Just now, Weikel said:

Lmao I was just writing .. bruh your drunk go home....

So weak. Or week?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, ReefSafeSolutions said:

There's a local shop here that has pretty good prices but I always feel like they never want me in the store.  It's pretty awkward every time I go in.  I don't know if it's because I'm not "buddy buddy" with the owners like some people I see in there or what.  But it doesn't bother me because they have good prices.

Well, they used to...I guess they are still technically considered good, but I get cheaper frags from the local community.  The shop here sells their stuff for just barely over wholesale.  I'm convinced their shop, as well as almost any other tropical fish/coral store, is just a holding facility for their equipment/livestock.  I think the bulk of their business is done in custom tank installs/tank servicing, etc.  There's no way you can make a living in my area with the "buy low sell high" model.  The markup just can't go high enough to make it worth it.  We all want these rad looking pieces but don't want to pay through the nose.  When you introduce the service industry, the margins can improve significantly.

This local shop though...I used to score some rad Euphyllia from them, but with the weird import laws from Fiji or whatever, their prices skyrocketed.  They're asking for $100+ per head for regular torches.  That's insane.  I understand the way, but it's still insane.

Hammers and such are noob shit. #### euphemisms or whatever they are.  

Oh I’m #### g drunk rant now. 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

You hate most everybody cause your wife is imaginary. It’s ok bro. We’re here for you. 

No I just hate everybody with the exception of a few . Thanks for your support but the wife is far from imaginary along with the spawn of satan we made together.

• Haha 2