Top Shelf Aquatics

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

12 hours ago, specore said:

I agree.  I've had sps bounce back after being seemingly dead for weeks. 

sorry meant to say I didn't realize that SPS can bounce back ^.  I know euphyllia could survive in stealth-mode for a while.  But with SPS, once all tissue is lost, I can't imagine there's much room in the skeleton for any left over tissue to be hiding anywhere.  most of the time, once my SPS turns white, it quickly become algae central - thus, I don't see it having a chance of recovering. 

Good luck with that acro, hope to hear that it pulls through soon.

• Like 1
A Little Blue

During a shock (whatever the reason might be) acro might expel zooxanthellae (dinoflagellates algae).

What causes it to starve and exposed to bacterial infection. Digestive system, including the polyps might be still intact. 

If it is, there is slight chance that it might bounce back. (Key word - slight)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Eggs hatch every 3days or so. Look for those at the coral base. (Spiral shape trail of white dots) 

Thanks.  Read that the hatchlings take about a week to reach sexual maturity, so hoping dipping every 4-5 dayd for a few weeks takes care of them.  Also read they can live 2 months or so without a host, so somewhat concerned about ronin nudis 🙂

Short clip of the tank today.  Between the activity of the fish and gentle sway of the LPs I feel like I've got enough movement to be visually appealing. Just need about 10-12 months of growth. 

***deleted crappy SD video.  Slightly less crappy video is a couple of posts down

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

2 months? Fake news. 

lol..maybe.  No one seems to really know though.  I figure 6 weeks of regular dips should do the trick.  

50 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Dipping might not be enough. They can and will hide within LV. 

I've got the frag off the live rock so its easy to inspect for nudis and eggs.  What else should I be doing?

A Little Blue
14 minutes ago, specore said:

I've got the frag off the live rock so its easy to inspect for nudis and eggs.  What else should I be doing?

There is not much you can do. Unless you want to bleach your LR.🤣 

Since I assume that you don’t want to go that extreme, I would isolate all Montis in one area of the tank (frag rack is OK), monitor frags and dip every several days. 

After series of dips, I would keep it isolated from main scape and keep monitoring/looking for little fu**ers. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Looks a little turquoise. And get a little closer so we can see your cool fish. 

Here is my tank a minute ago:

Is that from your phone?

Just can't get anything to look nearly as good as your video.  

A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, specore said:

Is that from your phone?

Just can't get anything to look nearly as good as your video.  

Yeah my iPhone and that app. 

Your light could have different rendition than my Kessils. IDK

You need to tweak it to look as natural to your eye as possible. It takes some fiddling, I admit. But worth it. (Seems like you have a bit too much green)

Here are my settings:

563C27AE-5C41-4416-82A7-2C82F20A1153.thumb.jpeg.5a315d6d7af8b802b8ffc7593a0bc8ca.jpeg46E8ACBB-3A97-49FF-A281-6E52467FBADD.thumb.jpeg.03d32543c6a384da5be18a8424db2276.jpeg

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

You need to tweak it to look as natural to your eye as possible. It takes some fiddling, I admit. But worth it. (Seems like you have a bit too much green)

Here are my settings:

563C27AE-5C41-4416-82A7-2C82F20A1153.thumb.jpeg.5a315d6d7af8b802b8ffc7593a0bc8ca.jpeg46E8ACBB-3A97-49FF-A281-6E52467FBADD.thumb.jpeg.03d32543c6a384da5be18a8424db2276.jpeg

Mine is shot on an iphone with the same app, but even besides the color looks less crisp.  Maybe I need to try Vimeo instead of Youtube?

A Little Blue
Just now, specore said:

Mine is shot on an iphone with the same app, but even besides the color looks less crisp.  Maybe I need to try Vimeo instead of Youtube?

Yeah, YouTube sucks for quickies. Do Vimeo. Quick, better quality and plays instantly without buffering. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
13 minutes ago, specore said:

Ok. Vimeo

vs Youtube

Close but I like Vimeo better. 

Make sure you top your screen to lock focus. 

As to Angel, if it eats and is active then that’s a good sign. You could get some vitamins and garlic to mix with food you feed your fish.  Hopefully your other fish are strong and healthy.  I could give you a name of this medication that I have used in the past in cases of ich. It worked for me but not sure if you want to bother? 

• Like 1
Just now, A Little Blue said:

Make sure you top your screen to lock focus. 

I don't know what this means? ?‍♂️

What have you used?  I'm not planning to knee jerk react, but if his appetite or activity level changes I may try and remove to treat.  He hasn't even been scratching, so I guess its possible the spots are something else too.  

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Here are my settings:

May I ask what App you guys are talking about? The "Aquarium Camera" App?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RustyRocket said:

May I ask what App you guys are talking about? The "Aquarium Camera" App?

That's the one.  It takes some getting used to, but does definitely make it easier to take photo/video.

1 minute ago, specore said:

That's the one.  It takes some getting used to, but does definitely make it easier to take photo/video.

Awesome, I’ll try it out. Hopefully this means I can stop taking out my DSLR for a quick update shot here.

14 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Awesome, I’ll try it out. Hopefully this means I can stop taking out my DSLR for a quick update shot here.

Maybe.  I've got a DSLR that I am itching to learn to use.