SaltCritters.com

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

What is your peak/midday blue setting these days?  I've been slowly ramping mine (all channels 50, white 20 - it stays at midday for 3 hours), albeit it's been much slower than I had hoped for.  SPS had been responding pretty well so far, I probably need to check alk consumption again soon. 

• Like 2
On 9/23/2018 at 8:05 PM, specore said:

Had a whole anniversary weekend planned around a music festival. Day 2 gets cancelled due to weather, so instead we spend the day at the antique mall and find a cool sign for the tank. 

9CA3C50C-17E7-4D86-8D68-81B7A70393D7.jpeg

Love that sign...... excellent find. 😀

• Like 1
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

What is your peak/midday blue setting these days?  I've been slowly ramping mine (all channels 50, white 20 - it stays at midday for 3 hours), albeit it's been much slower than I had hoped for.  SPS had been responding pretty well so far, I probably need to check alk consumption again soon. 

901391257_File_001(1).thumb.png.8e7b0c9b6db98303e4403831047e131a.png

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Love that sign...... excellent find. 😀

1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Love the setup and sign. 

Thanks Christy and Dave

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

:wub:  looking nice!!

Thanks

Meanwhile my oldest anemone which hasn't moved an inch between three tanks and probably 7 years has now taken to exploring.  Hoping he doesn't walk into an mp-10 one night.  

IMG_5423.JPG

On 9/16/2018 at 12:54 PM, micoastreefing said:

Is that the base of a euphyllia branch?  Don’t be surprised if it’s just a new branch sprouting out, especially the one at the fork of the branches. I’ve had hammer doing similar thing in the past, small heads just popped right out from the skeleton.  

The more I've watched this the more I think you're right.  I thought all new heads came through splitting and that the branches below the visible tissue were just dead skeleton.  Guess not...fascinating. 

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

I wouldn’t wait till tomorrow to do something that can be done today and potentially save you a lot of grief. 

Nice pics by the way. 👍

I just dialed the return flow down a little to compensate and keep the media basket on the other end from overflowing.  Would rather not further aggravate it, especially since he seems stressed already.  

The anemone moved back down to the sand bed, so crisis averted for now.  Still need him settle down so he doesn't walk into a propeller pump.  

• Like 3
A Little Blue
3 hours ago, specore said:

The anemone moved back down to the sand bed, so crisis averted for now.  Still need him settle down so he doesn't walk into a propeller pump.  

Great, but I think it’s contagious as my RBTA is on the move towards overflow grid. 😷

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Great, but I think it’s contagious as my RBTA is on the move towards overflow grid. 😷

It's a GD conspiracy 😀

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Love it 👍 great looking tank and the pics came out really good 🙂

Thanks.  Pics should continue to get better.  Maybe a better lense in the near future. 

• Like 2
On 10/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, specore said:

The more I've watched this the more I think you're right.  I thought all new heads came through splitting and that the branches below the visible tissue were just dead skeleton.  Guess not...fascinating. 

Update pic on those two little euphyllia nubs?

7 minutes ago, specore said:

Thanks.  Pics should continue to get better.  Maybe a better lense in the near future. 

It gets more fun, the better the pics get. 

• Like 1

My sps struggles have been real.  Mostly I am still chalking the issues up to a young tank and lighting changes.  This acro was a random $20 frag from a LFS and one the first sps I added.  After showing good PE for a couple of weeks it then started a gradual fade to brown with no polyp extension.  I had pretty much accepted it was going to continue to decline and figured it would eventually be a goner.  

So now, after 3 months of going downhill it is starting to show a flourescent mint green color at the tip.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a beautiful bounce back where it will surpass my expectations from the original frag.  

June 2018

image.png.753870fa61fa1e43927d145d14da81b0.png

9-19-18

image.png.b6f890e0bd25ba554e94fdeb0e5a4804.png

10-13-18 (this was during a Nutramar Ova feeding, hence the snow)

IMG_2003.thumb.JPG.f6bcc00c771e700dde5a5bd573582f06.JPG

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Update pic on those two little euphyllia nubs?

It gets more fun, the better the pics get. 

I may have broken one off while investigating with my forceps 🙂  There are two nubs still, but they are in a difficult place to get a good pic.  Maybe once they get a little larger I can get a decent photo for you. 

Hydrofill Pump has pretty much crapped out after a couple of months.  Not at all impressed with this product!  Still runs, but the built in check valve has failed and the pump has been having to re prime each time it kicks on.  As of yesterday it no longer wants to prime and just runs without moving water.  Since I have an optical sensor in my ATO reservoir I'll just be switching to a traditional submersible pump in the next few days and ditching the Hydrofill Pump.  

On 10/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, specore said:

901391257_File_001(1).thumb.png.8e7b0c9b6db98303e4403831047e131a.png

Mine, in order top-to-bottom: 50, 20, 50, 50, 45, 3 hours for midday, in case you're curious.

So it seems you're running more blue's than I am already, especially when consider that you have 4 more BEAM strips than I do too.   

Ohhh, but you keep the cover on.....🤔 That cover robs light intensity like you won't believe. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Mine, in order top-to-bottom: 50, 20, 50, 50, 45, 3 hours for midday, in case you're curious.

So it seems you're running more blue's than I am already, especially when consider that you have 4 more BEAM strips than I do too.   

Ohhh, but you keep the cover on.....🤔 That cover robs light intensity like you won't believe. 

I least wen to the BRS mesh, which doesn't block nearly as much as the original.  

• Like 1
On 10/9/2018 at 1:25 PM, specore said:

Playing with the camera this morning.  Gonna take some practice for sure 🙂

IMG_5409.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

Tank looks great.

Looks like your photos are spot on to me. Very nicely done!

• Thanks 1