Top Shelf Aquatics

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

Couple of updates :

-The purple anthias has been off frozen (other than an occassional treat) and on flake for about two weeks.  

-Chalice came of the spot I had mounted it and has nuked one edge of the trachy.

-And the green anemone is still hanging out in the top left corner of the tank.  

Need to try and get some new photos this week.  

• Like 1

Also finished another project for the wife...coffee table from industrial pallet wood. 

*Full disclosure -  I didn't turn the legs.  

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Just now, specore said:

Also finished another project for the wife...coffee table from industrial pallet wood. 

*Full disclosure -  I didn't turn the legs.  

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

I like it! 😀 (I think we have the same couch, only mine is red.)

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, specore said:

New FTS from this morning.   You'll notice the attention whore of an anemone has decided front and center is the place to be.

IMG_5462.JPG

looking good :smilie:

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
18 minutes ago, specore said:

Thanks.  You'll have to start a journal sometime so we can see those tanks of yours. 

Well it would be weird to start one now right? My 20's been up since march.

I was going to do one when I finally do the 75 next year. Do you have Instagram??

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well it would be weird to start one now right? My 20's been up since march.

I was going to do one when I finally do the 75 next year. Do you have Instagram??

yep, I do.

9 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Tank looks incredible. How is the angle fish with the corals? Any nips?

Thanks Dave.  Haven't seen any signs of nipping, so looks like a model citizen.  

• Like 2
On 11/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, specore said:

Thanks Dave.  Haven't seen any signs of nipping, so looks like a model citizen.  

Told my LFS last Friday to catch a nice cherub Pygmy angel in their coral flat/frag tank for me. Hoping for a nicely behaved one. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Told my LFS last Friday to catch a nice cherub Pygmy angel in their coral flat/frag tank for me. Hoping for a nicely behaved one. 

They are great fish.  Supposedly the pygmy's can be kept in small harems...always thought a trio would be cool to have. 

Monthly sps infirmary update:

6/15/18 Maybe 2-3 days after bringing it home)

IMG_1440.JPG

Completely browned by 9/19/18

image.png.b6f890e0bd25ba554e94fdeb0e5a4804.png

Starting to show signs of life 10/13/18

IMG_2003.thumb.JPG.f6bcc00c771e700dde5a5bd573582f06.JPG

11/13/18

image.png

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

And another which I really hope gets some of the gold back eventually.  Feel like I'm seeing a hint of it at the very tip.

As purchased and acclimated on 6/23/18

image.png.de191c71d133a117a7811159e42e42f7.png

7/11/18 after RTN'ing

IMG_1614.JPG

11/13/18

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

Hit my first frag swap today.  Luckily my wife picked out a coral which didn't count against my $100 budget 🙂

Blue/green pipe organ, Forest Fire Digi, "Grinch" rainbow acan and a light blue w/ green tip acro.  Pics later

• Like 2
A Little Blue

Act as if she picked the best coral ever and hopefully she will do that more often. My wife doesn’t know a thing about corals, doesn’t care about it and she doesn’t want any involvement with it whatsoever.  I don’t have budget oversight committee looking over my shoulder but her silence cost me a pretty penny. 🤣

Came across video of one of the speakers from MACNA regarding LED color/spectrum/intensity and other factors that could potentially affect coral coloration. I haven’t seen the study that he was referring to but it might be worth looking into if you’re interested. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a different note there is something off with the fish.  The chromis has been hanging out in one corner the last few days, then feed the tank just now and don't see the anthias.  Haven't seen any unusual aggression, however, the clownfish has been nesting lately and wondering if she isn't being a little bit of a bully.  

Perhaps he is freaked out from me cutting the lights in the middle of the day to float the new frags?

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is going through bit of an ugly phase.  Have something (maybe dinos?) growing on the sand bed and is annoying some of the corals.  Not too bad, but decided to add a second bag of Chemi-Pure to see if it helped.  Instead of helping, the Chemi-pure seemed to royally piss off everything, so pulled all chemical filtration for a bit.  All in all not too bad of a problem though and hoping good husbandry and further maturation  will clear it in time.  

• Like 1