Top Shelf Aquatics

Sadies Biocube 16

sadie

9 hours ago, brandon429 said:

Those are deep shock update pics

I can state on record Danno has the most ideal nano reef feeding I’ve seen and I plan on ordering some of the stuff he has, especially live pods. My bowl needs some added back. 

Danno isn’t it right you’re feeding reef energy a and b

and mysis or brine, whichever is available

and pro phytoplankton…not just seachem from a bottle phyto - with preservatives, Danno’s got isolated culture reef feed phyto from algae barn 

I have all those foods. Mysis, Brine, Pe calanus. AB+ and Algaebarn phyto and Rotifeast. I had reefroids but that is not going back into this tank. The frozen foods are primarily used to feed my fish. When I do my weekly rotifeast AM spot feedings I'll throw some calanus in there. I'm also dialing back how much AB+ and phyto I am putting in the tank.

I also feed my fish a very small amount of Nyos goji soft pellet fish food. I'll drop some in the tank in the AM so the fish have something to eat. Even though the clown eats it mostly and the blenny is asleep at this point.

20220611_172111.jpg

• Like 2

My sand was getting low so I added a bag of LS.  My big mistake was NOT rinsing it. I was going to , but the bag said not to.  I should have gone with my gut and just rinsed it.  My whole tank was white, I thought I killed everything in it and was kinda freaking out.  BUT I guess it's normal and most ppl DO rinse the sand before putting it in.  They do give you a pouch of liquid in the LS that will help with clarifying the water.

I seem to be missing 2 fish (neon blue goby and my pajama cardinal).  I'm hoping they are just hiding in the rock work.  My goby can go right in the nooks and crannies.  One time I had a rock out to scrub it, I had been working on it for like 5 minutes and my goby jumps right out of the rock!  It was crazy.  Usually I can see my P.J. cardinal when it's hiding...but...I didn't see either of them at feeding time.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0302.JPG

• Like 1

oh, and my RFA that was getting crowded by the big orange one in the middle finally moved.  It's up to the left, under the pink one.  I noticed it the other day, but it took me a bit to figure out why my tank looked different 😂

• Like 1

I will never understand why they say don't rinse on the bag. We had to invent rinsing anyway just to save the initial scare when added unrinsed. Glad it's clearing up quickly 

If someone would prepare and sell actually no rinse wet pack sand I think that would sell bigtime. There's none currently have seen that allow skip rinsing 

• Like 1

My shrimp molted and my RFA caught it and was eating it.  😋  I let it "chomp" on it for a bit, but then removed it.  I was thinking last night about my neon goby and realized when I added the sand, I didn't LIFT any of the rocks.  I hope my goby wasn't in a hole that covered with sand.  I did go back and lift up the rocks and give them a little shake, nothing came out.  I still have no evidence of either fish.

My clown was nipping at my PJ and his tail fins were almost gone.  I was thinking about rehoming him.  It just strange to be missing 2 fish at the same time.  I have no evidence of bones, or floating fins, nothing.  My goby has been gone for 3 days at the most and then came out.  I have never lost my PJ cardinal.  😔  Just thought to look in back chambers, but there was nothing.

DSC_0305.JPG

DSC_0306.JPG

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0309.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG

• Like 2

I think it's official, both my fish are gone. 😔  I don't think it was the cloudy water from adding the sand, I think that just brought it to my attention they were gone.

I have had no level swings or spikes, nothing has been added or removed (accept the sand).  

It looks so empty with just the one fish.  I want to add more, but the thought of setting up my 12 gal for a month again does not excite me. I hate that gobys only live a couple years.  Mine was going on three I think, I'll have to look back in my journal.  I originally got the clown and 2 PJ cardinals Aug of 2019.  One of the PJs died after a bit so I got the goby.  I don't think I quarantined my goby, it was an impulse buy.  I don't usually do that and I was lucky it didn't kill my other 2 fish.

I don't think Petco quarantines fish for you. I might see if the not so local fish store does.  Might be worth the hour drive.  Do they charge extra for that?  And if so about how much?

• Sad 1

Without your tank getting fallowed it won't help much, adding a qt fish, as any diseases in the tank can just go right back to the qt fish. Fallow starves diseases out, but there's no guarantee fish died of disease here. They didn't have any symptoms I've noticed last two mos 

Some pre qt fish however would be good to add from the standpoint that they will have been observed for a month at least to rule out obvious symptoms and the risk of bringing in new disease as best as possible. 

If I do get any fish, it would be for a while.  My clown fish is soooo bossy and mean!!!  He was very territorial.  My goby was so fast, he would jet in and out of the rock work.  My poor cardinal was too slow and was bit so much (his little tail was almost gone).

I'm hoping my goby didn't get stuck in the rock for a couple days when I added the sand.  I hadn't thought about that and by the time i checked, he could have been dead already.😔  I'm also hoping my poot cardinal wasn't bullied to death by my clown.  Both are plausible ideas.  I saw no signs of sickness, or any disease in any of my fish.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been so busy in my garden I haven't updated in a while.

The GHA is mostly gone, but the Bryopsis keeps coming back.  I did a lot of research on Fish  Fluc and decided to try that.  Today is day 3 and I am seeing some results.  The Bryopsis is turning white at the top and thinning out.

My GSP is finally getting some good growth.  It's growing off the rock and onto my sand bed.  I will trim it soon and glue to something else to trade.  I think I am seeing some growth in my monti.  I thought it was a gonner a bit ago.  I thought I was misting it with salt water, but it was on a hard squirt and it put a white line across the top.  Someone told me it looked a little bleached and I should lower it so I did.  It looks great.  The pictures don't do it justice.

My keny tree is growing and starting to get some good color.  My white toadstool kept falling off the rock I had it on so I finally left it where it fell, it seems to do well there.

I had my white lights on just a few hours a day trying to get rid of the cyano.  I just started adding an hour a day.  I am up to 6 hours on.  My RFA will be happy, they started moving all over my rock, it was kinda funny.  I actually like their placement better now, though it looks like my pink one is going to eat my green toadstool 😅.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

• Like 1

It's just perfect. You're adjusting to the new challenges perfectly and that is just what I would try for bryposis just the same, stuff is truly hard to manage

3 hours ago, brandon429 said:

It's just perfect. You're adjusting to the new challenges perfectly and that is just what I would try for bryposis just the same, stuff is truly hard to manage

Thanks.  It feels so good to love my tank again.  I am done adding for a while, just gonna sit back and watch it grow, It's nice to have growth again.  I wanted a candy cane coral and petco had a crappy looking one so I got this duncan instead.  I think I love the duncan more then candy canes now.  It is so mesmerizing to watch it sway with the flow.

• Like 1

I am impressed with the fishfluc.  Here are pictures of my GSP over the 5 day treatment.  My mushroom is the only thing that has Bryopsis on it.  I was going to tweeze it off before I started, but wanted to give it a "worse case" scenario.  I think the Bryopsis is dead now so I will tweeze what's left off.

The directions say you can use it up to 14 days and if no improvement in 5; stop using it.  Where the bryopsis is gone could I stop treatment now?  Or should I go for a couple more days?

GSP fishfluc day 1.JPG

GSP fishfluc day 3.JPG

GSP fishfluc day 5.JPG

• Like 1

Now that it may be dying, that includes the holdfasts too. You should remove the item, surgically rasp it clean and put back…never rot algae bits in the tank if can be avoided. His permits fragmentation that can seed elsewhere

surgical fix outside tank is best.

If it grows back, then that wasn’t a death downgrade it was doing it was only lightening in color. I bet it might work though.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Haven't posted in a while, been VERY busy in the garden!  I never made chocolate zucchini bread, my Uncle told me to try it.  AMAZING!!  I think you need the right recipe.  The one I have tastes like a brownie.  It is waaaaay too good!

I have been on vacation for the week.  Luckily, I was 2 miles down the road 😆.  I was able to come home every day and check on my tank (and get some love from the dogs🥰)  Everything is doing good except my monti.  It is VERY white.  I don't think it's dead.  I notice if I have it too high in the tank it gets pale.  One of the times I moved it lower, I think I also moved it out of direct flow from the power head.  I read SPS like current.  I moved it back in front of the flow and I hope that was the problem.

I was so nervous going into the summer that my tank would get neglected because I am outside all the time (except when I'm inside baking or canning).  I was doing about an hour of work on my tank once a week.  I don't know if my tank just got to a point where it is finally stable or if the FishFluc had anything to do with it.  But in the last month I have done 0 cleaning to my tank (except cleaning the glass)  It has been really nice.

My Phos has been .13 for the past few weeks w/o adding anything and my NO3 has been stable between 5-10.   

Heres a pic of my monti on 7.22.22 and a pic from today.  It was doing soooo well.  I hope it was just the placement.

My GSP is just about at the end of the tonga branch now.  I'll be clipping it soon I think.

The Pink Panther (my pink RFA) is on the prowl again.  It has moved right up under my toadstool bumping elbows with the other RFA.  I hope they don't fight.

My pulsing xinia seem to be doing good.

I think my green mushroom split again on the left side.  It looks like 2 small ones on the left now and one on the right.

And a FTS.  I just did a 2 gal WC and cleaned the glass so everyone isn't happy at the moment. I'll post another one when everyone is open.

monti 7.22.22.JPG

monti 8.19.22.JPG

GSP 8.19.22.JPG

pink panther 8.19.22.JPG

xinia 8.19.22.JPG

green shroom and toady 8.19.22.JPG

FTS 8.19.22.JPG

• Like 5

oh and my sea fan just kinda plugging away in the corner.  I guess he's doing good, though this is my first one, so I don't really know what good or bad would look like.  Not sure if it's growing, but I think it is.  I'll have to compare it with some old pictures. 

sea fan 8,19,22.JPG

sea fan 8.19.22.JPG

• Like 3

Such a great job! That sea fan would have receded and become covered in algae in my pico, you're really meeting upper level nano reefing being able to keep it with polyps out and no algae/ the whole tank is perfect

My red monti turns white if I simply turn my kessil light from all blue to slightly white, amazing how sensitive they are

• Like 1
2 hours ago, brandon429 said:

Such a great job! That sea fan would have receded and become covered in algae in my pico, you're really meeting upper level nano reefing being able to keep it with polyps out and no algae/ the whole tank is perfect

My red monti turns white if I simply turn my kessil light from all blue to slightly white, amazing how sensitive they are

Thanks.  I moved it back into the stronger flow and I think I see a bit of color coming back.  Such a shame, it was doing so well and I saw growth.  I hope it comes back.  I see a little dark stuff on it, I think it's algae.  I tried blowing it off with my turkey baster, I'm tempted to gently brush it with a paint brush, but I don't know if that would hurt it.  

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have been busy canning.  Our garden and apple trees did REALLY well this year.  The chipmunks ravaged our strawberries and blueberries.  I didn't make any berry jam this year.  I did make some maple apple jam.  My tank got a little neglected.  My phos and NO3 went down to 0.  One dose brought it back up and it has been good.  My KH got really low, I started adding Nano A+B daily and it has brought it back up.

I did end up losing my monti.  My kenya tree is not doing well.  Everything is a little unhappy right now.  My tank got ugly again, so I cleaned it.  It didn't have any algae issues.  I got rid of the cyano and i think I got dinos. I figured while I had all my rock out, I would scrape the back wall with a razor blade.  I like the back wall black.  I wish it would stay like that, oh well.  No big deal.

I also had my cat go missing.  It was crazy for the first month.  I was putting up posters and flyers.  Checking them often, calling shelters and vets almost daily.  I posted on 4 local missing pet FB pages and was active on those.  It's been 2 months now and she's not back.  I hope she still comes home, but we did end up adopting a little kitten.  She fits in with our crazy house perfectly.

This mornings levels

Phos  .03

KH 8.3

NO3 10

Calcium 460

Here are before and after pictures. 

DSC_0266.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

• Like 3

Mine got very bad too and I just didn't make effort to bring it back very fast and I'm set back about a half year lol on sps growth. Not killed but some recession just because I was too busy to clean and thick window growths are irritants + the degrading water chemistry associated

I really hope your cat comes back! The tank looks really good still mine too is healing up. 

• Like 2

Now I have like a black algae on the sand bed.  When I stir the sand bed, tons of air bubbles come up.  Not sure what that is.  I'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow.

My Phos has been around .03-.04.  I think my tank did better when it was around 10-20.  I have been adding a few drops of the NeoPhos to raise it up a bit and see if the tank responds.  My kenya tree is almost gone.  I moved it up a bit higher, not sure that will help.  We will see.

I just went to start a new thread and I could see the add tags button.  

If I wanted to just use this thread, how would I add a tag?

Now I am going to try and add the logo.

• 2 weeks later...