Coral Vue Hydros

Sadies Biocube 16

sadie

I don't know...this thing is really strong.  My xinia didn't like it all and closed up.  I moved it behind the duncan, but it's too close to my main rock.  I don't want the xinia spreading onto my main rock.  When I had my last one, it spread onto my glass in the corner and I kinda liked it.

My duncans and GSP are really getting blown, is this okay?

wavemaker 5.5.22 B.JPG

wavemaker 5.5.22 C.JPG

wavemaker 5.5.22.JPG

wavemaker 5.5.22 D.JPG

I had to move the wavemaker higher because it was blowing the sand right out off the floor in that opposite corner.  And I moved my xinia on the back left corner under the wavemaker.  we'll see how everyone likes that.

okay...all I can say is I should NEVER be allowed to handle super glue!😂  I didn't get my island yet, but didn't want to stick it somewhere and then move it to the island, so I figured I'd glue it to my nano-mag.  When that didn't work I just got an elastic...let's just say superglue sticks better to an elastic then it does to a frag plug...BUT the magnet is strong enough to hold it so I'm happy (even if my fingers are covered in superglue.)

Some little flowers are already coming out on the fan.  It's bigger than I thought it would be and the monti is already spreading onto the plug.  You know how somtimes you get coral that were JUST fragged and glued?  this is not that.  I am quite happy, hopefully the new coral will be too.

FTS with all new coral and some closeups of the newbies

FTS 5.5.22.JPG

gold gorg 5.5.22.JPG

sunset monti 5.5.22.JPG

• Like 5

I can't get a good shot of my monti.  All the little polyps are out now and it's so pretty.  I thought maybe a top shot would work.  Then I realized I've never taken a top shot of my tank.  So here it is.

top shot 5.6.22.JPG

• Like 3
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Your tank is looking really good. All that hard work is paying off.

Thank you!  I think it was exactly what my tank needed.

• Like 1

3 WEEK (+2 DAYS) RIP CLEAN UPDATE

My plan was to do weekly cleanup (tweeezing, stirring sand and sm vaccum) with bi-weekly WC.

Until today my parameters were stable (without dosing) at: KH 8.3    Mag 1260   Cal 450   NO3 10 and Phos between .10 and .17

Today they were KH 7.7   Mag 1170   Cal 450  NO3 10 and Phos .18

I feel my KH and Mag have dropped enough that I either should start dosing Nano A+B or start doing weekly WC.

I don't want to start dosing, so I am going to do 1 gal WC weekly rather than 2 gal bi-weekly.

There is a little more GHA on my rocks.  It took me 1/2 hour to tweeze what I can.  I was tempted to pull everything out again and scrape, but I didn't.  The sanils are doing a good job keeping the GHA off the back wall. 

When my kenya tree exploded, I glued a branch to a flat plug.  It is doing well, but I'm having a hard time finding a place for it.  It seems to like the left side of my tank better than the right.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE!!!

FTS 5.8.22.JPG

RIP CLEAN week 3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
brandon429

this is turning into one of my favorite rip clean threads ever, because you are still in total control of the system and are directing it to your bidding; it is not directing you. win x 100 and this looks really really sharp above!

every nano reef owner is directly, directly responsible for their invasion or non invasion status.   it's simple will and choice to be invaded, readers are watching you choose not to be. 

the biology and chemistry and luck and artistry is found in the prevention of growback phase, which has nothing to do with being invaded. willing to do and repeat simple work steps will guarantee any nano reef an invasion-free tank for as many days as it runs. being able to prevent regrowths is a mere luxury, it's not required to be always clean, always sharp-looking, always uninvaded--I am seeing this statement play out in every update you are providing. it's going to be a painful lesson for some, to realize there's nothing they can pin their wiped out tank on other than themselves actually wanting to own a wiped out tank. that's a painful lesson to arrive at for some, but not all...

• Like 1

Just realized I took the picture before moving the Kenya Tree.  Here's a close up of it.  I will have to mive the white toadstool or the kenya eventually, but for now this is were they are.

kenya 5.8.22.JPG

kenya 5.8.22 B.JPG

• Like 2
brandon429

very nice, those kenya trees won't grow well for me/live at all in my cramped bowl/ it's nice to see them doing well in your setup: so well you'll be able to trade new cuttings from it soon enough 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

4 WEEK RIP CLEAN UPDATE  (posted almost a week late because my computer wasn't working)

I was not able to do the WC after a week so it did end up being 2 weeks like I have been doing.  I also added Nano 
A+B to raise my KH.  My Phos is right where I want it, but my NO3 is at 25 now.  It has stayed 25 for the last 2 weeks, even with the 2 gal WC I did last week.  I went to feeding every other day, I was feeding mostly every day with taking 

Sundays off.  I will start the 1 gal WC weekly to see if that keeps my KH up instead of using the Nano A+B.

My new fan is doing good, my monti looks the same.  

My acan is changing color, kinda more yellow/green then orange now.  Not sure why, but it sure does puff up.  I love it!

My Duncan's tenticle things get so long now, it looks like dreadlocks sometimes.  

I had to move my yellow shroom from the back wall to the side wall.  It did not like the flow from the wave maker.

FTS 5.15.22 A.JPG

FTS 5.15.22.JPG

acan 5.15.22 A.JPG

acan 5.15.22.JPG

Duncan 5.15.22.JPG

green toadstool 5.15.22.JPG

white toadstool 5.15.22.JPG

• Like 2
brandon429

The pic of the Duncan is such a calm color hue that particular picture would make anyone's best desktop pic, well done. Standout there

Happy for such laser clarity and pop, I have to agree your current course is working

• Like 1
brandon429

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fighting-dinos-over-a-year-im-done.908965/page-3#post-10198648

Sadie, wanted you to see a specific example your rip clean thread can help.

if that tank copies your job, their tank shines one day later.

and if they opt out of doing the required gardening, the invasion will persist and alternate generations. We get to watch a choice set play out live time: opt into the command win, or opt into the command delay. The mode is not in debate, given your ongoing updates 

from the completely clean condition, that tank owner can then begin tracing out the causes. From the clean condition 

• Like 2
brandon429

in my opinion that link above is fascinating to watch.  I'm not having to sell whether the action will lend a clean tank; we can see in your after pics, clean rocks come after a rip clean.

Deep cleaning seems seems biologically risky; though you are providing pictures showing a boost to the system.

not using bottled bacteria here Sadie really helped us show how strong our natural bacteria are during basic cleaning. They don’t get rinsed away from the rock, necessitating replacement by bottled bacteria. Rinsing away from the sand doesn’t matter: sandbed bacteria are extra bioload in reefing and are not required for tank running. Any no sand bed tank owner knows this. Live rocks are enough bacteria for all systems.

There are fish and coral handling concerns, understandably. But you’re showing readers that holding in covered totes or a spare aquarium, whatever holds water, is ok and there are creative ways of making these holding containers.

it’s only sixteen gallons or so, maybe 32 for some.

still quite workable compared to the 250 gallon rip cleans we did.

Readers get to see you remove all invasion by hand, like gardening. 

5 hours ago, brandon429 said:

It seems biologically risky; though you are providing pictures showing a boost to the system. You not using bottled bacteria here Sadie really helped us show how strong our natural bacteria are during basic cleaning. They don’t get rinsed away from the rock, necessitating replacement by bottled bacteria. Rinsing away from the sand doesn’t matter: sandbed bacteria are extra bioload in reefing and are not required for tank running. Any no sand bed tank owner knows this. Live rocks are enough bacteria for all systems.

so far I haven't had to add anything to keep algae away.  I am also getting away with 1x a week cleaning, which is soooo nice!!  Everything is getting bigger and looking very nice.  Honestly I was a little nervous doing the rip clean, but I read so many articles where it worked, so I figured- why not?  It did take a bit longer then I thought, but worth EVERY minute.

I had a meeting at my house the other day and the ladies were looking at my tank and couldn't believe how crystal clear and sharp it looked.  It felt good to not be embarrassed. 😁

• Like 1

Great to hear the tank is still doing well.  I keep ending up with cloudy water, so I have just resorted to 100% water changes for the time being every couple of weeks to clear things up and reset the tank.  The coral don't seem to mind at all.

• Like 2

I spoke too soon about no cyano...😵 I thought I saw some but thought maybe it was the coraline coming back.  this morning it was gone after lights out, so I'm pretty sure it's cyano.  I was nervous of doing WC 1x a week because I thought I would get cyano.

I will do a black out for 2 days and go back to WC every other week.  I will still clean the tank once a week, but just not do a whole gal WC.

It's Monday, I turned the lights on and a little cyano left on the sand.  A bit more GHA then I would like.  I took 2 of my main rocks out (top and bottom left).  I scraped them, peroxide and rinsed.  While they were out I scooped off any sand with algae, then stirred the sand bed.  Put the main rocks back, cleaned the glass inside and out, lights back on and fed.

the acan was closed up really tight and I was able to get a good count of heads.  On 4/30 when I bought it there were 5 heads.  I counted 10 this morning.  😁

Hee's a pic of some of the new acan heads.  I will post a FTS after feeding is over.

new acan heads 5.30.22.JPG

new acan heads B 5.30.22.JPG

• Like 3
brandon429

I'm still 100% impressed. 

we don't know how to stop the regrowth work yet on this tank, once you find the tuning out how to do that I promise to relay it across a bunch of tank challenges. the fact you're willing to rinse/repeat as needed to maintain that picture above I feel is the single most important lesson in invasion control for the entire hobby. 

if you simply showed that pic above to any viewer, 100% of them would state that's a picture of an uninvaded reef tank. 100%. you guys' outdoor garden must look impeccable as well I'll bet.

I have been keeping a VERY accurate log of my feeding schedule, lighting schedule and maintenance.  I'm hoping that by SLOWLY changing things, I will be able to find a balance that will stop the regrowth or at least keep it manageable for my CUC to control.  One thing I haven't done yet it replace snails as they die.  the only problem, is EVERY SINGLE tank is different.  So even if I find the right balance for my tank, doesn't mean it will work on another tank.  

And, yes, my garden is pretty clean as well.  I do a lot of canning (pickles, jams, soups etc).  I really enjoy the whole process of planting, weeding, watering and feeding.  And you can't beat that fresh garden, ripened by the sun, taste!!😋

• Like 2
brandon429

I truly believe a new friend from reef2reef is reading this thread. It is believed that this particular thread holds a roadmap in pics to a clean nano, from any starting condition. Can’t wait to see final results of any jobs patterned off your steps documentation Sadie 

am testing a communication theory: is it possible to send someone with a tank challenge a message, saying if they read page 12 onward of this thread they will never lose another nano reef to invasion as the free reset button is plainly on file, there’s no riding any tank into the ground. We can intervene, and some have taken great pics while intervening 

• Like 1