ReefCleaners.org

Sadies Biocube 16

sadie

I am entering the 90 day challenge.  My tank went from bad to awesome back in April when I did a rip clean.  It was amazing for months and I believe it still would be if I hadn't neglected it toward the end of the summer.

Now I want to get it back to amazing, but I would also like to change the rock work a bit.  I'm a little nervous of this as I have RFA on 2 out of 3 of my main rock.  I'm not sure if the RFA will approve or disapprove of their home being remodeled so I am trying to take that into consideration.

Goals:

1. Get algae under control and keep water levels stable. (not let no3 and phos go to 0 again)

2. Rearrange tank to look nice and not so cluttered

3. Maybe redo aquascape

• Like 3

Good luck in the reno, I don't think it looks too neglected.  I basically did a rip clean on my wild child tank at about the same time you did your tank.  I loved my tank afterwards, but flatworms and then an almost total fish loss sent the tank into a tail spin.  I think this contest is a great way to encourage us to clean our tanks aftewr a busy summer.

I think you edit your first post by hitting the three dots... and then you can add the tag under the title section... then you have to save it.  If that doesn't work Seabass can help.  He was always great at talking me through fixing post problems.

To deal with the black algae (I think it's a type of cyano) I have cut back my white lights to 4 hrs a day.  I moved my wave maker down a bit so I would have more flow around the sand bed.  I also have vacuumed the sand bed to remove all the visible algae.  I then filter the water through many layers of cheese cloth and put the water back in my tank.  My water levels have been stable for about a month now, so I am thinking the algae is from lack of flow and too much lighting.

I went to the not so local LFS and got a cleaner shrimp, an emerald crab and 6 turbos. The turbol started cleaning the back wall right away.  You can see the clean spots in the upper corners. There are 2 on my LR and 2 on my glass.  😊

I have noticed a bunch of the little white start fish cleaning as well.  Once my tank is clean, I will start working on redoing my rock work and tank.  I have decided not to cut any of my MR.  Not sure what I can do with what I got, but we will see.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2022 at 12:22 AM, kimdawg said:

Good luck in the reno, I don't think it looks too neglected.  I basically did a rip clean on my wild child tank at about the same time you did your tank.  I loved my tank afterwards, but flatworms and then an almost total fish loss sent the tank into a tail spin.  I think this contest is a great way to encourage us to clean our tanks aftewr a busy summer.

I think you edit your first post by hitting the three dots... and then you can add the tag under the title section... then you have to save it.  If that doesn't work Seabass can help.  He was always great at talking me through fixing post problems.

It wasn't too neglected, but I did let it go enough I saw a difference in my coral; not so big and happy.😔  And now I have the ugly algae I'm working on.

Good luck to you too!  I saw your tank before and after.  I remembered you left a little patch of the GSP and I really liked it.  I agree this is a great contest at a perfect time too.  Not just after a busy summer, but right before the Holidays!!  

I still can't find the tag button.  I do have the 3 little dots, but when I click or hover there is no choice for a tag.  Only if I want to start a whole new thread, then I can see the add tag button.  but not if I want to add it to my journal.  I will keep trying.  I'm not very computer smart.  😆

• Like 1

Just took a FTS. 

I moved my pulsing xinia out of the corner and over by my MR where there is less flow.  When I moved my wave maker down it almost blew the xnia right off the disk it was on.  

I am thinking of taking the little tonga branch on the right and glueing up on the left side of my MR to kinda fill in that area. There is only one mushroom on it, which I think will do fine with more light.  I have a leather on the floor over there and I'm not sure it will interfere with that though.

I am also thinking of taking the 2 bottom base rock and standing them on a different edge, making them taller and putting the top rock back the way it is.  I don't know if it will even stand up like that, but if I did that, it would make the cave a little higher.  I also don't know if my toadstool would then be standing out of the water, he's kinda high up on the top rock.

My white lights aren't on yet so I might take another pic later if this one isn't very good. 

FTS 11.9.22.JPG

• Like 4

this is a little trial run of moving coral and rock.  I put the tonga branch up, but haven't glued it.  My mushroom seems to like it better there.  I moved my fan from the back left corner to the front a little higher.  It took a bit to open, it's in stronger flow there.  It seems to like it, though I'm not sure I do.  Looks kinda funny.  I moved my duncan over a bit so you can see through the cave now.  Everything seems to be happy.

My pulsing xenia started to come off its plug.  I moved it to where I could put a feeding tube over it.  Hopefully it will reattach soon.  I might rehome it.  I really like them, but if it does really well like my other one did it will start to drop a bunch of branches.  

Here are some pictures

DSC_0375.JPG

90 day reno.JPG

yellow mushroom 11.9.22.JPG

moved mushroom 11.9.22.JPG

• Like 1

nope....still don't see the add tag button.  I have a paperclip to attach files, on the right a square that says Other Media and on the bottom below the typing square is a follow topic thing.

that's all I have.

wow, thanks.  When I did it though, it looks nothing like your phone.  I don't have any of those options.  Maybe it's because I use a laptop.

thanks for showing me the picture. 

47 minutes ago, sadie said:

When I did it though, it looks nothing like your phone.  I don't have any of those options.  Maybe it's because I use a laptop.

It works exactly the same way on a laptop.  If you edit the very first post (as banasophia posted) you will be able to add and/or edit the thread's tags.

FINALLY!!!  I didn't realize it was the FIRST post I had to go to.  I did that and it worked, but when I went to see if it worked, I noticed the tag button was there the whole time.  I was looking in the comment block where I would write my post.  It is located waaaaaay at the top, where it says  "Sadies Biocube 16".  

thanks guys.

• Like 1

Awesome!  Glad you figured it out.

Now just add a tag which specifically says nano-reno so that your thread pops up (along with all of the others) when others click on the tag.

EDIT: Thanks for changing your tag.  Now when you see the nano-reno tag, you can click it to bring up other threads with the same tag (the people in the contest).  Good luck!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

• Like 1

thanks.  so how does this work?  do I post pictures while I'm doing the renovation or after it's all done?  Do I have to send my final photo to you like I did with the 3 before pictures?

This is my first contest, sorry to be the problem child. 😆

After December 29th, 2022, but before January 15th, 2023, you must send me three "before" pics and three "after" pics (along with an optional 200 word summary).  I'll post additional information about this requirement before the end of the contest.

• Like 2

I noticed my heat has been around 76* lately. (reading from my chiller).  I used my digital thermometer to check it and it was about the same.  I usually keep my tank around 78*.  I have one of those preset heaters that are at 78.  I don't know how old it is, but I do have another heater that is 3x the size and it has a dial to change the temp.  I was going to set that to 78 and switch the 2.  Then I realized my heater plug is in the same hole as my chiller tubes. 🤬

I will have to take my chiller apart to switch the heaters.  I don't remember why, but last year I had to take my chiller apart so I just stored it for the winter.  I soaked all the tubes and hoses in vinegar, gave the whole thing a good cleaning and tied it in a plastic bag and put it away.  

Looks like I might be doing that this year too.  I don't think I want my tank at 76.  Not sure if 2* makes a big difference, but I always kept it at 78.

My xenia is reattaching to the plug.  The funny thing is the amount of algae inside the "hospital tank".  I was wondering if the algae was from lack of flow on my sand bed.  It's almost all gone, except where there is low flow.

When I do my reno, I will take EVERYTHING out and give the sand bed a good stir and vacuum.

lack of flow.JPG

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sadie said:

When I do my reno, I will take EVERYTHING out and give the sand bed a good stir and vacuum.

Be careful when doing this.

I would normally recommend:

• save as much water (prior to disturbing the substrate) as possible
  • discard any water left in the tank (after the sand bed gets disturbed)
  • thoroughly washing the sand (until it rinses clear)
  • put everything back in (adding new saltwater as needed)
  • top off with fresh saltwater

It's not unusual to replace more than half of your water during this process.

• Like 2

I did everything I wanted to do except the hood.  I will save that for tomorrow.  Most everything is happy and open.  My gsp have not opened yet.  I guess it could take them a bit.

Do I post pictures as I go or wait till it's all done for a final reveal? (For the contest). 

I'm going for the low budget one.  I guess the only thing I have purchased is the turbo snail and crab. 

turbos 5$ each=30

emerald crab $12

total=$42.00

20 minutes ago, sadie said:

Do I post pictures as I go or wait till it's all done for a final reveal? (For the contest). 

There is no requirement to post progress pics; but I think that people would find it interesting.

For the contest, you'll just have to send me three before pics and three after pics (sometime between December 30th, and January 15th).  Then I'll post everyone's pics (and their summaries) so that people can vote for the winners.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

There is no requirement to post progress pics; but I think that people would find it interesting.

For the contest, you'll just have to send me three before pics and three after pics (sometime between December 30th, and January 15th).  Then I'll post everyone's pics (and their summaries) so that people can vote for the winners.

oops, I already sent you my 3 before.  Should I resend the 3 before pics when I send you my 3 after pics?

3 hours ago, sadie said:

oops, I already sent you my 3 before.  Should I resend the 3 before pics when I send you my 3 after pics?

Yes please.

I'll post the official requirements, of what people need to send me and when, in the contest thread soon.

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of my tank.  My gps started opening today. :smilie:

I emptied the whole tank.  I put my coral, snails, crabs and fish in a bucket with most of the tank water.  I vacuumed out about 3 gal of water to clean the sand bed and dumped that out.  I also vacuumed the back chamber when I took the pump out.  There was SO much gunk in there I dumped that out too.  I scrubbed out the hose and cleaned the pump.  I pulled out my chiller and cleaned the hoses and pump for that too.  I didn't put the chiller back in, I bagged it and put it away till the spring.

I replaced my 50 watt heater with a larger one I had and set it for 78.  My digital thermometer says 79-80.  

I glued the gsp tonga branch to the back wall.  I glued the red mushroom tonga branch on the top left side of my main rock. Originally I was going to put the gsp up higher, but was told they grow up and to put it lower.  I should have put the mushroom tonga branch on the other side because now it is right in front of (and maybe too close to) the gsp.  I kinda like the look of it, but might snap off the mushroom and glue it to the right side of my top main rock.  there is a bit of a bald spot there.

I cleaned the hood today.  took it all a part and vacumed the fan out, wiped down the plastic with vinegar and cleaned all the salt creep out.

DSC_0386.JPG

DSC_0387.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0398.JPG

DSC_0379.JPG

DSC_0389.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 2