Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CinnamonTorch

CinnamonTorch

Hello all! I just installed my reef glass protein skimmer last night on my one month old Nuvo 10G :)

i wanted to know if this is how much the bubbles should rise up to the stopper, i heard the further away from the stopper, the dryer the skimmate, and the closer to the stopper, the wetter the skimmate(what reef glass suggests).

i wanted a mix or balance if you will of both. Here is where the bubbles rise up to now, they dont really touch the stopper, but they get near it :)

let me know your inputs and what works best for you guys!! This little reefglass is epic!!!

IMG_5408.JPG

• Like 1

The top of my stopper is 5 inches from the water line. You need to turn your airstone up until all you see is micro bubbles. Turn it up some more and you will see larger bubbles forming. Back off until it is just micro bubbles again.

Then, adjust the height and wait 6 to 12 hours at least. Check to see how much skim you are producing. If there is none, move the skimmer down. If it is too light (taking out too much saltwater) then lift it up. Use small adjustments. It takes a while to see how the adjustment will change the produce.

When I first started using this one, I was not using enough air and I did not have enough micro bubbles. I turned up the pump, lifted the skimmer up higher to compensate and it started working well.

Mine and other's skimmers produce waste on the top as well. This is fine and just needs to be cleaned once or twice a month. After cleaning the skimmer will take a day to get back in time. Here is what mine looks like now.

1209171009a.thumb.jpg.0d1297d292f0b3c1d3615c0462990668.jpg1209171010.thumb.jpg.5d6362d5ea25900593b6b295e729929e.jpg

• Like 2
CinnamonTorch

Really appreciate your feedback. I have mine at 2-3 inches away from the water level. I will check how the skimmate is in a few days and will adjust accordingly!! Thanks again

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Really appreciate your feedback. I have mine at 2-3 inches away from the water level. I will check how the skimmate is in a few days and will adjust accordingly!! Thanks again

No problem. Take your time and you will get it set in no time. I would raise it at least 3 inches though. Good luck!

I just got my ReefGlass Skimmer 2 weeks ago. Been running on my IM25.

I have it about 3 inches above the water line. Runs very wet, need to raise it.

I think it just got through the break in cycle. The microbubbles stopped a few days ago.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

hey i just wanted to resurrect this thread to talk about this skimmer a little more

ive had it for probably 6 months now.  it does a good job for what it is, i'm pleased with it for the space it takes up, and i really don't think my IM10 needs anything more.  it took a while for me to understand 'dialing it in'.  now i have it at about 5 inches above the water line (to the rubber stopper) in chamber 2, and i'm using a Tetra Whisper 20 to power it.  it def produces a wet skim, but it does it's job...a green tea colored skimmate, a good amount of solid particles, and slightly smelly.  i don't have much of a bioload in my tank, so i've always wondered if it would produce more if i had more waste.  

lately though (which is prompting my resurrection of this thread), i've noticed that every now and then i will hear bubbles escape the tube and 'fizz' to the top.  i hear them popping at the surface, resulting in microbubbles getting into my return pump, and then my display.  this happens once or twice every hour or so maybe?  has anyone else experienced this?  do you know the reason?  

CinnamonTorch
On 2018-01-14 at 10:58 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

hey i just wanted to resurrect this thread to talk about this skimmer a little more

ive had it for probably 6 months now.  it does a good job for what it is, i'm pleased with it for the space it takes up, and i really don't think my IM10 needs anything more.  it took a while for me to understand 'dialing it in'.  now i have it at about 5 inches above the water line (to the rubber stopper) in chamber 2, and i'm using a Tetra Whisper 20 to power it.  it def produces a wet skim, but it does it's job...a green tea colored skimmate, a good amount of solid particles, and slightly smelly.  i don't have much of a bioload in my tank, so i've always wondered if it would produce more if i had more waste.  

lately though (which is prompting my resurrection of this thread), i've noticed that every now and then i will hear bubbles escape the tube and 'fizz' to the top.  i hear them popping at the surface, resulting in microbubbles getting into my return pump, and then my display.  this happens once or twice every hour or so maybe?  has anyone else experienced this?  do you know the reason?  

Hello! I have a slight problem with microbubbles at the beginning as well. The problem with mine is that the limewood airstone was not sitting flush with the glass! It was actually protruding out of the glass tube abit, which resulted in micro bubbles to escape.. what you can do if this is the case is just cut the lime wood airstone TUBING to be a bit shorter, that way the airstone sits inside the glass and has like half an inch before it hits the bottom of the glass! 

If that doesnt change anything, maybe you should try lowering the reef glass. I keep mine at 2.5 inches above water level, you also dont want it to high because then it wont work efficiently.

next thing, have you been changing your airstone? Do you have the right? Does it fit correctly inside the glass tube? If not, you’ll need to shave down the wood from the air stone to fit inside the glass tube nicely.

next would be to try a very good cleaning. Take out all valves, rinse with water, clean out the holes with Qtips. You’ll be surprised at how much black shit comes out of these holes, its actually insane. Make sure everything goes back into place proerly. The only valve you dont need to clean is the “air intake valve” simply because only thing passing through that adjustable valve is air.

hope this helps, i have reef glass on my IM 10 and i’m loving it.

a good cleaning on the unit almost 95% fixes the problem :)

follow my instagram at CinnamonTorch_Crunch for the latest updates on my tank! Goodluck and let us know

• Like 1