Coral Vue Hydros

*NEW* iPhone / iPad app color corrects LED light in real-time

seahostler

1 hour ago, dandelion said:

This is the best money I’ve spent in this hobby! I tried to adjust the filters until the corals look closest to my naked eye. At the end I realized I got the egg crate to be almost perfectly white!

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone X. :)

So glad to hear it and wow yeah the pics speak for themselves! What lights do you have over these guys? 

50 minutes ago, seahostler said:

So glad to hear it and wow yeah the pics speak for themselves! What lights do you have over these guys? 

AI Prime HD! It was probably at 17K when I took the pictures. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, seahostler said:

Hey @Duane Clark could you post a screenshot of your settings? Home button and on/off button press and release at the same time takes a screenshot. 

The next version is going to have a pretty decent auto-mode but yeah let's figure this out for sure!

Thanks.  I am not sure that will help.  My settings are all over the place.  I end up just sliding the bars all over the place and really never settle with anything.  So really I would just like some recommendations for a place to start and then maybe can go from there to fit the needs based on my lighting.   It appears I need a class.  :-)

• Like 1

Just downloaded, excited to try it out tonight!  I also run Kessil A80s so I'm excited to see if I can get similar results to what you got at the Expo (I saw that tank there as well).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

Thanks.  I am not sure that will help.  My settings are all over the place.  I end up just sliding the bars all over the place and really never settle with anything.  So really I would just like some recommendations for a place to start and then maybe can go from there to fit the needs based on my lighting.   It appears I need a class.  :-)

The nav item with the eyeball is for immediate perceptual differences. Some tanks that have a decent amount of white light on them will get results just using those 2-3 sliders. In you setup, it sounds like you'll need to graduate up to the sliders icon that has red green and blue values. Generally, I'm seeing a few get good results with red at 3.5 and green and blue at 1.5. Let me know if that helps. I'm currently working on ways to simplify the app but it's been challenging. I'm hoping this new orange lens simulator takes care of a lot of our use cases but it's really hard to know not having that many lighting setups to test it on. 

9 hours ago, Grassy Noel said:

Just downloaded, excited to try it out tonight!  I also run Kessil A80s so I'm excited to see if I can get similar results to what you got at the Expo (I saw that tank there as well).

Brilliant, yeah thanks for downloaded and excited to see your results!

• 2 weeks later...

BIG announcement all! Been working hard on this update because I've been really annoyed that we had to deviate from a single slider to adjust the color. So.... today Version 3.0 will be hitting your emails for those of you who are testing. 

It incorporates a new 'Gel mode' that simulates the placement of a colored (orange) lens over your camera. Before making the Aquarium Camera app, buying a lens or colored gel was pretty much the only way you could reliably get blue light out of your aquarium shots. The thing that I think makes this app even better than that, is that it dynamically changes the color of the lens to match what the camera sees in the scene. You might have a frag that needs more yellow, or lighter orange, or more red. Another shot of that mother acro colony might actually need a lens with a bit more blueness to it. It's like you went to Joann's and picked up a 16,777,216 pack of gels (give or take).

I also added in some auto controls on the sliders to get you back to par if you went a little too nuts. You can also see the values changing dynamically so you can get a feel for what's going on.

I hope you guys like it and that it doesn't suck. #highfive I'd love to see your before/after shots and what lighting you guys are using if you don't mind posting to the thread. Thankyou everyone and happy testing!

P.S. This version is going into Android dev today. Yehaw!

iphone-ver-3-after.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No before and after right now, but just took a video with the app...

What still seems to be difficult is capturing orange. I have a piece of jack-o-lantern lepto and was playing around for quite a bit and could never quite get it. This is under a Nanobox mini tide.

A lot of neat features included in the app, great work!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

No before and after right now, but just took a video with the app...

What still seems to be difficult is capturing orange. I have a piece of jack-o-lantern lepto and was playing around for quite a bit and could never quite get it. This is under a Nanobox mini tide.

A lot of neat features included in the app, great work!

Thanks for the post and feedback. Orange shouldn't be a problem as I've seen a bunch of really nice orange shots but it's hard to provide a recommendation because it could be that those shots were done under really warmer temp lighting. I might get a color chart and stick it under a bunch of lights to see if I can narrow in on some recommendations. Maybe there could be a mode where you plug in the colors you'd like balance and the app can dynamically account for that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey man. Sweet app. Here are some pics I took recently with the AquariumCam under royalblue/violet lighting. These pics are straight out of the app with no extra editing.

24771568737_9fe2a97773_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

27895557919_22753b541f_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

24864535527_0776f95cfe_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

25862106428_58305ba2a9_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

38835533695_ff522aaf1a_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

39024800214_76d422d143_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

39734012521_da24185524_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just downloaded this for my iPhone x.  As great as the camera is on the x, the blue light makes taking true to life pics under a Kessil A80 a struggle (almost impossible).  I just tried the app and right off the bat things look a lot better.  I’ll post some pics when I get a chance to really play with it.