Top Shelf Aquatics

Denise's Skull Pico Creative Container Contest Entry

dmw913

Skull Pico Creative Container Contest Entry Build Thread

Theme:            Halloween in a reef!  

Container:       Skull beverage container (glass) from World Market           $25

Light:                PAR30 14w 22K SUPERBLU Reef Light from CCompulsion $60

Mount:             RapidLED Gooseneck Mount from BRS                                  $35

Heater:             Archaea 25w heater from Aqua Lab Aquaria                        $25

Flow:                 Homasy 80 gph fountain pump from Amazon                     $8

Control:            MiniWIFI Smart Plug Outlet timer from Amazon                  $18

Therm:             Coralife Digital                                                                             $10

Rock:                 BRS Pukani                                                                                  $0  (had some at home)

Sand:                Carib Sea Hawaiian Black (1 cup from office tank-live)        $0

Supplements:   Microbacter7 from Brightwell Aquatics

10/15/2017:  Skull acquired.  Soy sauce pic posted! :)

IMG_8208.JPG

11/25/2017 - 1 month in.

IMG_0029.jpeg

• Like 10
1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

I like this idea. What are you planning to fill your cranium with, rocks?

Pretty sure he's been a bit of an air head lately.

Hasn't even put up a picture of his Pico yet...

• Haha 2

Aquascape glued and drying.  Can be removed in one giant piece so I can clean the container.  

Will start a cure while I wait for the rest of the equipment to arrive.

IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_8211.JPG

• Like 9

Ok, sourced a used Nano Osmolator ATO on the classifieds here which should be shipped tomorrow.  Have also cleaned up the junk under the nightstand so I can house the ATO container.  

Light, pump and other items arriving soon.  

Look what arrived today!!!IMG_8218.thumb.JPG.d518241eb65e9f6a8af8c897fd9e2eeb.JPG

4 hours ago, skibum513 said:

This may be my favorite container nice find

Thanks!!!  You're in Utah - same as me!!!  SLCounty?  Drop by and see it live!

• Like 3

So, water has invaded the skull.  I decided to cure the live rock/cycle in the pico container for the full experience.  Also, let's be honest, I wanted to see what the container looked like full of water and lit up!

Brief reviews of the items used so far:

1.  Heater:  Because of the curve of the skull, suction cups to not work.  Otherwise, heater is incredibly small and seems to be doing the job.  Have not invested in a controller at this point.  I'll test temps for a couple of weeks while the live rock soaks and see if I think one is warranted.

2.  $8 no-name pump:  Very small footprint and moves enough water to see reasonable movement throughout the tank.  No discernible noise and the suction cups were smaller so they worked.  

3.  Light bulb (gooseneck not here yet so I'm using a makeshift lamp for now):  Very pleased.  Just the right amount of blue for me given that I can't adjust the settings.  Corals should pop nicely once the tank is ready.

Here are a couple of shots.  I used a gel filter on my iPhone and the pics are pretty close to what tank looks like to naked eye.  Without gel filter, the blue blows up the phone. :)  

IMG_8219.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

A pic from this morning once the tank cleared some.  The ‘scape is working well in that there is an indent in the rocks that follows the jaw line of the skull giving you two good viewing areas for coral above and below jaw line.  Will add some black sand from my office tank tonight.  Woooooo, scarrrry!!

57AEC831-21C5-4302-93C3-E11457808F77.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
13 hours ago, TFish77 said:

Looking really good! I wish my main tank had a spout on it I could drain water from :lol:

Thanks!  Honestly, I’ve never kept a pico and I’m not in love with water changes so the fact that this container had a spout was truly a selling point.

• Like 4

Carib Sea Hawaiian Black sand (approximately 1 cup) from office tank added this evening after rinsing it in R/O water to get rid of some of the skank.  I added the sand to give a bit of Halloween color to the bottom and a little biological bonus.  It also cuts down on some reflection I was getting from the light bouncing of the bottom glass.  

I forget how nasty dry Pukani rock gets while it cures.  After just 24 hours, the water is visibly cloudy as the junk starts to get circulated.  I cured my rock for my Reefer 250 in Rubbermaids so I didn't see how gunky it got.  Pretty fascinating, actually.  I'm sure my husband will just love when it starts to smell since it's on our bedside table...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Spooky :P Rotting stuff is basically Halloween themed, right? It's decor!

Careful with any magnets near that sand; I can't remember if Carib Sea sold the magnetic kind or not...

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Spooky :P Rotting stuff is basically Halloween themed, right? It's decor!

Careful with any magnets near that sand; I can't remember if Carib Sea sold the magnetic kind or not...

Thanks!  With all the bends in this glass, I’ve got a dish brush that I will use.  Mag cleaners would never make it!

11 hours ago, OldManSea said:

Very cool!  Orange corals to expand on a Halloween theme....

You better believe it!  Only Halloween corals in this bad boy!

• Like 2

Water change today.  Things had skanked up and I wanted to get in the habit.  

Picked up a couple of frags and did some container theme decor.  

Radioactive dragon eyes, bam bams and some dragon’s breath to start the livestock.  Getting an idea of where to place things for best view.

Note the Caution tape, spider and mouse glued to top of tank.  Full Halloween mode!

3A3EEE8A-B9A5-41E7-BBD3-2E980291F2DF.jpeg

7E492616-B873-4752-82A6-794707BE39ED.jpeg

Radioactive dragon eyes, bam bams and some dragon’s breath to start the livestock.  Getting an idea of where to place things for best view.

Note the Caution tape and rubber mouse glued to top of tank.  Full Halloween mode!  My favorite part is my haunted house tix from date night tonight that randomly made it into the photo!  

EE62BEF6-EF94-458F-82CA-5A9BC896F05A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
On 10/22/2017 at 12:27 AM, dmw913 said:

Note the Caution tape, spider and mouse glued to top of tank.  Full Halloween mode!

3A3EEE8A-B9A5-41E7-BBD3-2E980291F2DF.jpeg

7E492616-B873-4752-82A6-794707BE39ED.jpeg

Note the Caution tape and rubber mouse glued to top of tank.  Full Halloween mode!  My favorite part is my haunted house tix from date night tonight that randomly made it into the photo!  

EE62BEF6-EF94-458F-82CA-5A9BC896F05A.jpeg

The sticker will peel off the heater if it bothers you. ;)

• Thanks 1

RapidLED gooseneck arrived and I added a little dramatic flair!  This is final contest setup.  

Maintenance note:  95% water change tonight to prepare for new frags tomorrow.

D8750951-30F9-498D-AEB7-4BB20806A4F7.jpeg

9180274C-0B57-4751-9822-40DF343F18CE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, dmw913 said:

RapidLED gooseneck arrived and I added a little dramatic flair!  This is final contest setup.  

Maintenance note:  95% water change tonight to prepare for new frags tomorrow.

D8750951-30F9-498D-AEB7-4BB20806A4F7.jpeg

9180274C-0B57-4751-9822-40DF343F18CE.jpeg

So sick. I bet it looks even cooler in person with all those curves on the tank! 

• Thanks 1