Jump to content
gena

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

Recommended Posts

I'm officially announcing my entry into the Creative Container Pico Contest Build :happydance:

 

Pico jar established October 5, 2017

 

My container is a 2 gallon glass Anchor Hocking "cookie" jar with lid.

 

Equipment list:

Lighting: KINGBO 18W LED Aquarium Light Bulb PAR38

Heater: ARCHAEA MINI AQUARIUM HEATER (25W) ULTRA SLIM

Filtration: Natural (weekly water changes)

Circulation: Fluval® Q.5 Aquarium Air Pump with air stone

 

I used dry rock and sand that I already have leftover from other tanks. 

 

 

Here's my empty tank with my favorite condiment inside, per the rules :D.

 

59d29d6c7216a_ScreenShot2017-10-02at1_11_03PM.thumb.png.04033f7a78d9f393ac932c8ca84a648b.png

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Hot sauce! You know I'm following!!! Good luck!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Hot sauce! You know I'm following!!! Good luck!!

Awesome!  Thank you!!!!  And, thanks for following :happy:.

Share this post


Link to post

Nice! I saw jars just like this at Target and almost made one into a pico last year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Arkayology said:

Good luck, Gena!

Thank you :flower:

6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Nice! I saw jars just like this at Target and almost made one into a pico last year. 

That's where I got mine :)

Share this post


Link to post

Hubby and I picked this up at Walmart on Sunday afternoon lol.  Now to figure out where to put it! :lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hubby and I picked this up at Walmart on Sunday afternoon lol.  Now to figure out where to put it! :lol:

I saw that in the contest thread :happydance:

 

I'm going to pick up the remaining few items I need on Wednesday and hopefully have this going and cycling by Wednesday :D.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Hooray!! Following!!

:happydance:

I LOVE the jar you picked!!!!!! 

 

 

My pico jar has sand and rock!!!!!  Tomorrow I'll fill it with water.  I have the heater now..it's so little and cute :wub: .  I need airline tubing which I'll pick up tomorrow.  It should be cycling starting tomorrow omgomgomg

 

 

New pictures :D

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.20.17 PM

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.19.42 PM

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.20.41 PM

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.19.17 PM

 

 

I have some good ledges for coral placement :).  Can't wait to start filling this up!!!!!!

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Looks fantastic, Gena!  I love the scape.  I can't wait to see it get start tomorrow. :wub:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Looks fantastic, Gena!  I love the scape.  I can't wait to see it get start tomorrow. :wub:

Thanks, Felicia!  Tomorrow should be the day!!!!

 

I wish the lighting was less blue.  I'm not sure that's a possibility with a Par38 bulb though.  I like it more white than blue :unsure:.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, gena said:

Thanks, Felicia!  Tomorrow should be the day!!!!

 

I wish the lighting was less blue.  I'm not sure that's a possibility with a Par38 bulb though.  I like it more white than blue :unsure:.

Yeah, that may just be the issue with PAR bulbs.  As you know, I like my lighting whiter as well.  I wonder if there are any with a more white look.  What Kelvin rating is the one you got?  I wonder if there are any in the 10,000 K to 15,000 K range.

 

I just looked and Coral Compulsion has a 14K PAR38 bulb.

https://coralcompulsion.myshopify.com/collections/all/14k

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Yeah, that may just be the issue with PAR bulbs.  I wonder if there are any with a more white look.  What Kelvin rating is the one you got?  I wonder if there are any in the 10,000 K to 15,000 K range.

I just looked and Coral Compulsion has a 14K PAR38 bulb.

https://coralcompulsion.myshopify.com/collections/all/14k

This is what I bought from Amazon:

 

Full Spectrum 6-Band: Professional full spectrum includ cool white14000K 4pcs/ 6500K 2pcs, blue 460nm 8pcs, uv 420nm 2pcs, red 630nm 1pcs, green 520nm 1pcs. provide more useful spectrum for your fish, coral and reef.

I looked at the Coral Compulsion bulb but didn't want to spend that much.  I'm cheaping out for this contest :D.

Share this post


Link to post

Man, we really like our lights white huh?  Most people act like 14000 K is very white. :lol:  I have the 10000 K Maxspect Razor Nano on the IM 14.  The 10000 K version was discontinued because no one liked it because it was too white.  I love it. :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Felicia said:

Man, we really like our lights white huh?  Most people act like 14000 K is very white. :lol:  I have the 10000 K Maxspect Razor Nano on the IM 14.  The 10000 K version was discontinued because no one liked it because it was too white.  I love it. :lol:

I know right?  What is wrong with people?  I can't stand the blue LOL.  I think the white is more natural looking and warm and cozy and inviting.  Blue is too cold and unnatural  looking to me :unsure:.  But it does make corals pop.  I don't really go for the corals that need to pop though LOL.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, gena said:

I know right?  What is wrong with people?  I can't stand the blue LOL.  I think the white is more natural looking and warm and cozy and inviting.  Blue is too cold and unnatural  looking to me :unsure:.  But it does make corals pop.  I don't really go for the corals that need to pop though LOL.

You and I definitely have this in common!  I can't deal with the super blue glow.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

You move fast!

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, gena said:

:happydance:

I LOVE the jar you picked!!!!!! 

 

 

My pico jar has sand and rock!!!!!  Tomorrow I'll fill it with water.  I have the heater now..it's so little and cute :wub: .  I need airline tubing which I'll pick up tomorrow.  It should be cycling starting tomorrow omgomgomg

 

 

New pictures :D

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.20.17 PM

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.19.42 PM

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.20.41 PM

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.19.17 PM

 

 

I have some good ledges for coral placement :).  Can't wait to start filling this up!!!!!!

Are you using the little heater from AquaForest Aquariums that I'm constantly linking? :lol: And I feel ya on the blue lights, I've always preferred whiter lights.  I like to actually see what's in my tank! :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Following!! Best of luck, Gena!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thinking I wanna piece of the pie.... 😉

D96DF708-5D6D-4AA5-B933-516AE4E1BA02.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Great looking scape!  That will be terrific for coral.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

You move fast!

I've been waiting for this for awhile now LOL.  Got the pico filled today :happydance:  I wasn't able to get any photos yet though.  It basically looks like yesterday's pics only it has water and bubbles now :D.

13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Are you using the little heater from AquaForest Aquariums that I'm constantly linking? :lol: And I feel ya on the blue lights, I've always preferred whiter lights.  I like to actually see what's in my tank! :lol:

I am!!!!!  It's REALLY NICE!!!!!  Looks like it's very accurate and having the controller with it is awesome.  It lights up on the controller when it's running.  It's the perfect size too.  Thanks for the recommendation! 

12 hours ago, cju84 said:

Following!! Best of luck, Gena!

Thank you :flower:

8 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Following! Already looking great :)

Thank you :flower:

7 hours ago, Lynton said:

Thinking I wanna piece of the pie.... 😉

D96DF708-5D6D-4AA5-B933-516AE4E1BA02.jpeg

I wanna piece of the pie too :D

6 hours ago, vlangel said:

Great looking scape!  That will be terrific for coral.

Thanks, Dawn!!!!! 

 

Now that the jar has water in, it has that crazy magnified look about it.  It's pretty neat :D.  Looking forward to the stocking :happydance: .  My bubbler doesn't really create much of a current so I'll definitely be needing some ultra low flow corals for it.  I pretty much know what I'm going for already.  Now just to find the perfect specimens.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, gena said:

I've been waiting for this for awhile now LOL.  Got the pico filled today :happydance:  I wasn't able to get any photos yet though.  It basically looks like yesterday's pics only it has water and bubbles now :D.

I am!!!!!  It's REALLY NICE!!!!!  Looks like it's very accurate and having the controller with it is awesome.  It lights up on the controller when it's running.  It's the perfect size too.  Thanks for the recommendation! 

Thank you :flower:

Thank you :flower:

I wanna piece of the pie too :D

Thanks, Dawn!!!!! 

 

Now that the jar has water in, it has that crazy magnified look about it.  It's pretty neat :D.  Looking forward to the stocking :happydance: .  My bubbler doesn't really create much of a current so I'll definitely be needing some ultra low flow corals for it.  I pretty much know what I'm going for already.  Now just to find the perfect specimens.

Yay! I'm glad somebody finally bought it, I feel like I keep recommending it and nobody believes me about how great it is lol. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recommended Discussions

  • Sign Up or Sign In to hide this.

×