inTank Media Baskets

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

cfaye@Delaware

I was wondering can you make changes in your container as far as equipment ( approved ) as the contest goes along or do you have to use the same that you started with ( improvements ) ???? I was not sure ??? Thanks.......I will check rules again......

• Like 1

Can someone tell me what we're shooting for as far as wattage on these PAR bulbs?  I'm really confused.  I bought one that was PAR30 (9 led's) that I thought was perfect, but it turns out it's 27 watts which seems like is going to be WAY too much for a 1.5 gallon pico.  So now I'm back to square one.

I'm using a 12W bulb.  I think that should give you a decent amount of light PAR38 or PAR30.  You have a lot of options which vary a lot based on brand, spectrum, cost, and dimability.

• Like 1

The participation in this contest is awesome! :)

However... I don't know about anybody else, but there are just too many threads to keep up with.  There is just so much time in the day.  It's a good problem to have. :happy:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
42 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Can someone tell me what we're shooting for as far as wattage on these PAR bulbs?  I'm really confused.  I bought one that was PAR30 (9 led's) that I thought was perfect, but it turns out it's 27 watts which seems like is going to be WAY too much for a 1.5 gallon pico.  So now I'm back to square one.

I am using a 27W PAR 30. I think my lid is going to take away much of the light but this is the first time I have done a PICO tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-E27-LED-Spectrum-Coral-Reef-Plant-Grow-Light-PAR38-PAR30-Fish-Tank-Aquarium/311650696002?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Anyone planning SPS in their tanks? I am considering it but not sure how well they will do and if the Alk/Cal would be taken up too fast.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, duderubble said:

Ok found it. Now about those suction cup extensions, does it seem like they are just plastic? I mean could they be cut off to leave just a cylinder?

They're the same rubbery material as the endcap pieces, I think you could probably cut them off but not sure how easy it would be.

15 hours ago, duderubble said:

I mean I would have to do a complete tank disassembly to change it. I think I'll go with something known for reliability. 

Don't forget about the need to occasionally disassemble the pump for cleaning, they do get clogged up from time to time.

I'm not in the contest, and I don't keep sps in a pico, but allow me to comment on something I don't have any experience with :D

I do keep NPS mixed with regular hard and soft corals in a three gallon and I do daily 10% water changes after feeding. This takes less than five minutes.  I use a turkey baster to blow off the rocks and suspend detritus and then scoop out water with a plastic cup and replace. 

I really don't think maintaining water quality in a pico has to be a struggle. Yes, it can be hard if you treat it like a big tank and assume you can feed or have corals use up trace elements and not do water changes for a month, but if you can take five minutes a day, you have time for a water change. 

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Boggers said:

I am using a 27W PAR 30. I think my lid is going to take away much of the light but this is the first time I have done a PICO tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-E27-LED-Spectrum-Coral-Reef-Plant-Grow-Light-PAR38-PAR30-Fish-Tank-Aquarium/311650696002?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Anyone planning SPS in their tanks? I am considering it but not sure how well they will do and if the Alk/Cal would be taken up too fast.

I have a frag of digi I’m going to try.

29 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Something simple should not be an issue. Picos need frequent water changes AFAIK from reading and speaking to Brandon. So chances are that you would be able to replenish frequently.

21 minutes ago, Rene said:

I'm not in the contest, and I don't keep sps in a pico, but allow me to comment on something I don't have any experience with :D

I do keep NPS mixed with regular hard and soft corals in a three gallon and I do daily 10% water changes after feeding. This takes less than five minutes.  I use a turkey baster to blow off the rocks and suspend detritus and then scoop out water with a plastic cup and replace. 

I really don't think maintaining water quality in a pico has to be a struggle. Yes, it can be hard if you treat it like a big tank and assume you can feed or have corals use up trace elements and not do water changes for a month, but if you can take five minutes a day, you have time for a water change. 

Very well said.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

While chemical filtration (lanthanum, etc.) is obviously not allowed, I assume supplements, e.g. MicroBacter7, Ca, Alk, etc. are acceptable, yes?

Yes, we can manually dose/ use Kalk in top off, just to auto doser.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Yup, that's the one I bought.  Do you have it already?  How does it look? 

56 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

They're the same rubbery material as the endcap pieces, I think you could probably cut them off but not sure how easy it would be.

Don't forget about the need to occasionally disassemble the pump for cleaning, they do get clogged up from time to time.

Thanks for the info on the heater. Cleaning the pump won't be s bad as replacing, though still an issue. I may have extra cord in the tank to accommodate cleaning. And I'll definitely keep an extra screen on it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dmw913 said:

While chemical filtration (lanthanum, etc.) is obviously not allowed, I assume supplements, e.g. MicroBacter7, Ca, Alk, etc. are acceptable, yes?

I'm thinking yes, it's ok.  As long as you are doing it manually and not with a doser.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Yup, that's the one I bought.  Do you have it already?  How does it look? 

When I put it over the bare tank it looked close to the 14K range. It might make the corals pop a bit more when I try that. If you want I can put it over my 60G and send you a pic tonight.

1 hour ago, Boggers said:

I have SPS in my bowl. You can check it out using the link in my signature. 

I've been surprised at how well it's been doing.  The only issue I've had is with the bases of some  on the outer edges turning white due to shading using the PAR38 12W.

My mix of SPS and LPS is consuming about .4-.6 dKH per day and I'm not dosing - just handling it with water changes (using RSCP salt). Ive not seen any issues with any of it with the 3-4 dKH Alk swing I get with a water change. 

I think there's a balancing point where if you get too much in the bowl the swing would be too much. Trying not to experience that! 

• Like 3
flatlandreefer
3 hours ago, Boggers said:

I accidentally broke off a piece of my digi so I am going to put it near the top.  I will probably wait a wile until things settle in.  I think gluing frags is really going to try my patience especially once the vase starts to fill up!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, gena said:

I'm thinking yes, it's ok.  As long as you are doing it manually and not with a doser.

So this means no apex dos hooked up for auto water changes? I was thinking the apex could help with programming the hydra 52 HD I’m putting over my pico build. 

Just joking... 

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, duderubble said:

I'm a montipora fan. Its a pretty forgiving sps. I'm thinking about maybe some caps or digita. Or encrusting. Or all three.

caps get big fast omgomgomg

I'm a montipora fan too!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Boggers said:

I'm using a 24w par38. I have it about 20" above.

I have birdsnest in mine. We'll see how it goes

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic