Coral Vue Hydros

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

Welp, it's that time of the month again. That's right, time to load a jon boat with silver bullets, grab a small shrimp net, and head to the swamp to see if we can drink a bunch of cold one's faster than we can sweat them out in the crisp 100 degree 75% humidity Louisiana weather. So far the score has been pretty lopsided, overall, it's been The Sun 15, Boozed-up Rednecks 0. But don't call it a comeback....

It's also monthly update time. That magical time where I tell a forum of largely internet strangers everything wrong with my 10 gallon box of chaos, firmly demonstrate how not to run a small saltwater aquarium, and sprinkle in a bunch of bad jokes and banal analogies, all while adamantly refusing to either proofreed or spallchek.  Huzzah!! Anyway, I'm sure you're all dying to know what has been happening the last thirty days. Disappointingly, this month the tank has largely been on autopilot. It seems the tank's biology has finally settled into the switch from ESV 2-part to All-for-reefs: parameters have been stable, there have been very little algae build up despite reducing WC's, and every think is looking fluffy and happy. I know most readers tune in hoping for disaster... sadly, that will have to wait... till at least next month. On the livestock front, there were a few minor additions. First, I filled out the front zoa garden, adding CB White Zombies, Grim Reapers, and Buttkissers (disappointing). I also got fed up with the lack of growth... or anything... with my WD frag, and added a second chunkier one with a direct linage back to Big R. Additionally, I added a small peppermint shrimp to help tame my growing aptasia problem; I might add 3 more and take them back to the LFS after they do their job or eat a bunch of expensive frags (or in that case add them to the shrimp boil). Other than that, things have kinda just been like a certain bunch of coonasses shrimpin' under the sun... chugging along. Growth has been mediocre (but nobody expects more), coloration has been okay, and Blenwood and the gang are all fat and happy. Other than that, the only other thing to note is that the Ultron Favia is getting dangerously close to the echinata; I expect a massacre soon... so there's always that to watch for.  Now on the white-light-unflattering-monthly-progression-FTS!!

August:

ATR_9655.thumb.jpeg.e1ab1c32c90b21dc678a3b6d189bd9ec.jpeg

July:

1436104438_ATR_8661(1).thumb.jpeg.64c7868a1af50ba7cab4f19a1e915030.jpeg

June:

1872251800_IMG_0089(1).thumb.jpeg.296e0746f15cf23b7090f7b55c3f6188.jpeg

May:

693161446_DSC_1162(2).thumb.jpeg.8f66e36074854c113dde2def98418876.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
On 8/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, debbeach13 said:

Glad things are going well and that the tank is on auto pilot. You can relax and enjoy.

Thanks! It's been awhile since I've had the reef running on all cylinders and not afraid it's going to instantly melt down. 

On 8/13/2020 at 10:30 AM, Reefkid88 said:

I love how much the Favia has grown from May to August !!! That Wellso looks amazing too,such a transformation. 

I have kinda fallin' in love with favia, especially this Ultron. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time before the echinata love taps it, and as a result, I have been considering moving it...  unfortunately, from an aesthetic standpoint I think the placement is ideal. 

On 8/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, pokerdobe said:

Guess I'm out then. See ya next month. 

Welcome to the Thunder Dome!!

On 8/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

It's been a long time since I've stopped by, the tank still looks great!

Thanks! Up until this point you haven't missed much. 

On 8/14/2020 at 11:06 AM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Peppermint shrimp eating aiptasias are a myth. I struck gold finding a site that sells only Berghias, and they cleaned out both of my tanks in a couple weeks. And they don’t annoy their neighbors. 

https://reeftown.com/berghia-nudibranchs

I with you about 50%. I have had a couple peppermint shrimp that have been really good at ridding the tank of aptasia. I have also had some that had no interest in eating anything besides zoas. Regarding Berghia, I have actually added a bunch (4 medium nudis and 3 egg coils). Unfortunately, after putting them in the tank, I never saw them again, and since that point my aptasia problem has only gotten worse. I'm pretty sure they all ended up snacks for the possum wrasse... expensive snacks. Because of that, I think I'm going to continue the combination of manual removal (needles and lemon juice) and attempt a few more shrimp. Side note, it's hard to fault the wrasse, he (or she) has been an absolute unit when it come to eating pests. I have never seen a bristle worm, flat worm, red bug, or anything other unsavory critter despite having added a crazy amount of frags, occasionally from suspect origin. And being that the wrasse is constantly scouring the rock and pick at things, I think he's (or she) the reason. Possum wrasses for the win!

Bad pics (all taken with the D7100 and Nikkor 40mm macro lens) :

Watch out!

ATR_9758.thumb.jpeg.4aaeec37756acd00d8be0e7869ffeebf.jpeg

White Zombies:

ATR_9735.thumb.jpeg.c358700c82cad4a608d95fbaaf59b9d1.jpeg

Rah Rah Go Team:

ATR_9624.thumb.jpeg.aba5e4db82f583435ad3db1aa8a78f66.jpeg

Black suns:

ATR_9638.thumb.jpeg.3f9d27e4a4afbb16367b390d0b2107d1.jpeg

• Like 5
Snow_Phoenix
24 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks! It's been awhile since I've had the reef running on all cylinders and not afraid it's going to instantly melt down. 

I have kinda fallin' in love with favia, especially this Ultron. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time before the echinata love taps it, and as a result, I have been considering moving it...  unfortunately, from an aesthetic standpoint I think the placement is ideal. 

Welcome to the Thunder Dome!!

Thanks! Up until this point you haven't missed much. 

I with you about 50%. I have had a couple peppermint shrimp that have been really good at ridding the tank of aptasia. I have also had some that had no interest in eating anything besides zoas. Regarding Berghia, I have actually added a bunch (4 medium nudis and 3 egg coils). Unfortunately, after putting them in the tank, I never saw them again, and since that point my aptasia problem has only gotten worse. I'm pretty sure they all ended up snacks for the possum wrasse... expensive snacks. Because of that, I think I'm going to continue the combination of manual removal (needles and lemon juice) and attempt a few more shrimp. Side note, it's hard to fault the wrasse, he (or she) has been an absolute unit when it come to eating pests. I have never seen a bristle worm, flat worm, red bug, or anything other unsavory critter despite having added a crazy amount of frags, occasionally from suspect origin. And being that the wrasse is constantly scouring the rock and pick at things, I think he's (or she) the reason. Possum wrasses for the win!

Bad pics (all taken with the D7100 and Nikkor 40mm macro lens) :

Watch out!

ATR_9758.thumb.jpeg.4aaeec37756acd00d8be0e7869ffeebf.jpeg

White Zombies:

ATR_9735.thumb.jpeg.c358700c82cad4a608d95fbaaf59b9d1.jpeg

Rah Rah Go Team:

ATR_9624.thumb.jpeg.aba5e4db82f583435ad3db1aa8a78f66.jpeg

Black suns:

ATR_9638.thumb.jpeg.3f9d27e4a4afbb16367b390d0b2107d1.jpeg

Quick question - does your pom pom crab and emerald crab get along without any issues? Or do they simply stick to their own territories and not get in each other's way?

(I'm considering adding a pom pom crab to my pico, but I already have a porcelain anemone crab in it. Just wondering if it was possible to have two crabs in the same small tank without any problems)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

beautiful. Do you have to feed the suns heavily?

Thanks! This is a really good question. While it's true that suns and all NPS love food, I think how and when you feed them is more important than the quantity of food. Meaning, if you target feed them after they "wake up" (just a quick and direct squirt of mysis or similar) you can keep them happy without significantly increasing the overall feeding and nutrient load of the tank. The trick is training them to get on a schedule. Once they have been trained, sun corals are both really easy and really pretty (in fact mine have spawned several times). Also, I must say out of all the corals in the tank (besides the rainbow taco aka the trachy), they get the most attention by house guests. Adding a tiny bit of Reef Roids to the water will "wake" them up, and people can't believe that that a pick glob turns into an afro of orange tentacles in just a few minutes. 

A side note: I do feed my tank really really heavily, in part because of the more finicky NPS, i.e. the balanophyllia. And while the suns do benefit, I think they would be fine with significantly less feeding. 

15 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Quick question - does your pom pom crab and emerald crab get along without any issues? Or do they simply stick to their own territories and not get in each other's way?

(I'm considering adding a pom pom crab to my pico, but I already have a porcelain anemone crab in it. Just wondering if it was possible to have two crabs in the same small tank without any problems)

While they aren't best friends, they do get along. If they do get too close, they tend just to wave their claws around for a second and then go on their merry way. In fact, until very recently (due to a bad molt - RIP porcelain crab), I had been keeping an emerald crab, pom pom crab, porcelain crab, fire shrimp, and peppermint shrimp together without issue (along with a whole bunch of hermits). I do think it helps that they are all really well fed. 

Reasons to post NPS!

Yellow/Pink sun coral:

ATR_9366.thumb.jpeg.d328d75418354ab399c42cde95c6f919.jpeg

Side view:

719730883_ATR_9367(3).thumb.jpeg.64a7454131d0061ab001862e28eef284.jpeg

Balanophyllia:

ATR_9399.thumb.jpeg.3f3c61ed78b8415c9c988577261c7d57.jpeg

Balanophyllia close up:

ATR_9394.thumb.jpeg.21ac7d0f77ca9271d93b1f01791dfcd4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
29 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks! This is a really good question. While it's true that suns and all NPS love food, I think how and when you feed them is more important than the quantity of food. Meaning, if you target feed them after they "wake up" (just a quick and direct squirt of mysis or similar) you can keep them happy without significantly increasing the overall feeding and nutrient load of the tank. The trick is training them to get on a schedule. Once they have been trained, sun corals are both really easy and really pretty (in fact mine have spawned several times). Also, I must say out of all the corals in the tank (besides the rainbow taco aka the trachy), they get the most attention by house guests. Adding a tiny bit of Reef Roids to the water will "wake" them up, and people can't believe that that a pick glob turns into an afro of orange tentacles in just a few minutes. 

A side note: I do feed my tank really really heavily, in part because of the more finicky NPS, i.e. the balanophyllia. And while the suns do benefit, I think they would be fine with significantly less feeding. 

While they aren't best friends, they do get along. If they do get too close, they tend just to wave their claws around for a second and then go on their merry way. In fact, until very recently (due to a bad molt - RIP porcelain crab), I had been keeping an emerald crab, pom pom crab, porcelain crab, fire shrimp, and peppermint shrimp together without issue (along with a whole bunch of hermits). I do think it helps that they are all really well fed. 

Reasons to post NPS!

Yellow/Pink sun coral:

ATR_9366.thumb.jpeg.d328d75418354ab399c42cde95c6f919.jpeg

Side view:

719730883_ATR_9367(3).thumb.jpeg.64a7454131d0061ab001862e28eef284.jpeg

Balanophyllia:

ATR_9399.thumb.jpeg.3f3c61ed78b8415c9c988577261c7d57.jpeg

Balanophyllia close up:

ATR_9394.thumb.jpeg.21ac7d0f77ca9271d93b1f01791dfcd4.jpeg

Your macro shots are intense/really, really good! 🙂

Thanks for answering my question, too. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Your macro shots are intense/really, really good! 🙂

Thanks for answering my question, too. 

Of course! Love your tanks BTW!

11 hours ago, sublunary said:

Your thread makes me want some NPS so badly.  (And a tripod.)  That balanophillia is stunning. 

Welcome to my favorite game: Help make me, help make you, make a bad decision! You should definitely get some NPS! Come over to the literal dark side! (but really it's not a bad decision)

More photos!

The pictures aren't great but this two pics shows how the waspfish can change color depending on time of the day or mood or whatever. Generally, after the lights go out she turns very pale then explores the tank. 

Day time look: Flossy flossy in red.

ATR_9628.thumb.jpeg.5abb9b94e9cefc503fa597166cfbd215.jpeg

Night time look: pretty and pale:

ATR_9412.thumb.jpeg.22cebec8ccc84c70ff3b4a11e33d1c11.jpeg

More Balanophyllia: I have five polyps (single polyp coral) in my tank and they all look different, they are hard to find so I grab them whenever I see them:

495434968_ATR_9394(1).thumb.jpeg.f6c8a78b42debdaff386bf41fd9f3905.jpeg

Blasto up close. This was shot with the 105mm macro, still getting the hang of the minimum focal distance, but it churns out incredibly sharp photos (this is like a 90% cropped photo):

5267F5EF-AF21-42CD-BC06-184C670C359A.thumb.jpg.be4133e353fe6504ae9d43544b66f8a4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

I'm sure there have been multiple requests on a photography write-up on this thread, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one. 

I really think you're one of the top tank photographers on NR right now, if not the best.  and It'd be cool to read about your take on photography (process, settings, equipment, effort, etc).    

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Of course! Love your tanks BTW!

Welcome to my favorite game: Help make me, help make you, make a bad decision! You should definitely get some NPS! Come over to the literal dark side! (but really it's not a bad decision)

More photos!

The pictures aren't great but this two pics shows how the waspfish can change color depending on time of the day or mood or whatever. Generally, after the lights go out she turns very pale then explores the tank. 

Day time look: Flossy flossy in red.

ATR_9628.thumb.jpeg.5abb9b94e9cefc503fa597166cfbd215.jpeg

Night time look: pretty and pale:

ATR_9412.thumb.jpeg.22cebec8ccc84c70ff3b4a11e33d1c11.jpeg

More Balanophyllia: I have five polyps (single polyp coral) in my tank and they all look different, they are hard to find so I grab them whenever I see them:

495434968_ATR_9394(1).thumb.jpeg.f6c8a78b42debdaff386bf41fd9f3905.jpeg

Blasto up close. This was shot with the 105mm macro, still getting the hang of the minimum focal distance, but it churns out incredibly sharp photos (this is like a 90% cropped photo):

5267F5EF-AF21-42CD-BC06-184C670C359A.thumb.jpg.be4133e353fe6504ae9d43544b66f8a4.jpg

ERMAGERD I want that little wasp fish

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I'm sure there have been multiple requests on a photography write-up on this thread, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one. 

I really think you're one of the top tank photographers on NR right now, if not the best.  and It'd be cool to read about your take on photography (process, settings, equipment, effort, etc).    

There is one that Jeramai did years ago. 

6 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Stop posting nps. You're going to make me get some of my own. 

I just ordered one (a purple NPS Gorgonia. Maybe a sun coral down the road if I can keep the Gorgonia alive). Thanks @Cannedfish

• Like 2
  • Haha 1