inTank Media Baskets

The blasto obsession

Minmay

13 minutes ago, gena said:

Let's see.....shopping is always wife friendly.  Burbank doesn't really have anything extraordinary when it comes to shopping.  It's pretty much status quo here.  Ikea should keep her busy though :D.  And you can park at IKEA and walk over to the fish store.  It's that close!

Cool! Ikea will keep her busy for a little bit. Yay lol

On 8/31/2017 at 7:40 PM, Minmay said:

Thank you! I got it from BRS reef saver rock. The scape to me kinda reminds me of Star Trek (the next generation) lol...its hard to tell in pic but in person it has that shape lol. 

I got a good laugh out of this!!!

I'm a STNG fan. 

And a Blasto fan, so I'm totally loving this. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I got a good laugh out of this!!!

I'm a STNG fan. 

And a Blasto fan, so I'm totally loving this. 

Prolly another Wesley fan too. SMH. 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Actually, no. 

He's ok I guess, but no. 

I like Data and Picard. And Worf. And Q. 

Yeah, "He's ok I guess" plants you firmly in the Wesley Rocks camp. 

Q was good. 

Finally started cycling the tank on 9/6. Used Dr. Tims ammonia. Didnt have Dr. Tims one and only so only thing I put in the tank was pure ammonia. Today the ammonia has gone down to 1 but my concern is that the nitrate amd nitrite is 0 since starting the cycle. I dont remember nitrate and nitrite taking this long to show up. I wonder if its because I didn't Dr. Tim's one and only? 

Finally, on the 8th day of testing, nitrate and nitrite decided to show up. Ammonia got low so dosed more ammonia. I'm going to tale this tank super slow. Maybe so slow that I wont start putting blastos in tank until I past the ugly stage lol. Meanwhile, I'll probably start up a 3rd project lol

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Finally, on the 8th day of testing, nitrate and nitrite decided to show up. Ammonia got low so dosed more ammonia. I'm going to tale this tank super slow. Maybe so slow that I wont start putting blastos in tank until I past the ugly stage lol. Meanwhile, I'll probably start up a 3rd project lol

Oh....a third project???? omgomgomg

Does this one have anything to do with a jawfish?

• Sad 1
35 minutes ago, gena said:

Oh....a third project???? omgomgomg

Does this one have anything to do with a jawfish?

Sadly No, I cant do a Jawfish until we buy a house which is gonna be a few years from now. I gave myself a time frame 3yrs. Plus im sure you know Cali is super high. Especially in San Diego. Most likely I'll have to travel up north to like Riverside county to be able to afford a house. I was thinking of doing 1 rock flower in my 5g fluval with sexy shrimp? Or anemone shrimp. I know it will take 6mo of staring at water but I dont mind. Im not going any where. I still have to use the sand you gave me. I didnt mix it in with the blasto tank cuz the sand I bought, smallest sz was 20lbs. It would've been too much. So, imma use it for my 5g. I really wish they would start selling live sand at smaller bags. Like geeze. Who really wants to buy a big ass sand bag just to use like 5lbs of it..smh O well, lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Sadly No, I cant do a Jawfish until we buy a house which is gonna be a few years from now. I gave myself a time frame 3yrs. Plus im sure you know Cali is super high. Especially in San Diego. Most likely I'll have to travel up north to like Riverside county to be able to afford a house. I was thinking of doing 1 rock flower in my 5g fluval with sexy shrimp? Or anemone shrimp. I know it will take 6mo of staring at water but I dont mind. Im not going any where. I still have to use the sand you gave me. I didnt mix it in with the blasto tank cuz the sand I bought, smallest sz was 20lbs. It would've been too much. So, imma use it for my 5g. I really wish they would start selling live sand at smaller bags. Like geeze. Who really wants to buy a big ass sand bag just to use like 5lbs of it..smh O well, lol

#picoproblems right? :lol: I recently ordered a bag of Tahitian moon sand, expecting a nice big back of dry sand, only...what came is a bag in water and the only thing saying it's Tahitian moon sand is the bar code label on the back...and other places are selling the same sand as Tahitian moon sand.  Guess the company changed the product but I'm very disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

#picoproblems right? :lol: I recently ordered a bag of Tahitian moon sand, expecting a nice big back of dry sand, only...what came is a bag in water and the only thing saying it's Tahitian moon sand is the bar code label on the back...and other places are selling the same sand as Tahitian moon sand.  Guess the company changed the product but I'm very disappointed.

Right!!! Gosh, you would think if there's a major change to a product or any kind of change, that there would be a disclaimer. Maybe you can contact the company/seller to see if you can get a refund or an exchange?

3 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Right!!! Gosh, you would think if there's a major change to a product or any kind of change, that there would be a disclaimer. Maybe you can contact the company/seller to see if you can get a refund or an exchange?

I thought about it but didn't, it was DFS so I'm sure they would've taken care of me.  Just annoyed at it lol.  My local Petsmart has a bag of the dry stuff and I'm tempted...

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I thought about it but didn't, it was DFS so I'm sure they would've taken care of me.  Just annoyed at it lol.  My local Petsmart has a bag of the dry stuff and I'm tempted...

I like petsmart for FW and accessories...i do like to look at the few SW stuff they sell but its usually pretty sad looking lol

2 hours ago, Minmay said:

OMG...house prices :wacko:.  It's insane what my house is worth and only 1300 sqft.  Insane!  Why do you have to sit and stare at an empty tank for 6 months? :lol:  I don't think RFA are the same as say a bubble tip anemone.  You can add sooner than 6 months and really the 6 months is just a precaution :).  A good precaution...but I don't always follow the rules :lol:.

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, gena said:

OMG...house prices :wacko:.  It's insane what my house is worth and only 1300 sqft.  Insane!  Why do you have to sit and stare at an empty tank for 6 months? :lol:  I don't think RFA are the same as say a bubble tip anemone.  You can add sooner than 6 months and really the 6 months is just a precaution :).  A good precaution...but I don't always follow the rules :lol:.

Yes girl, house prices in Cali are freaking ridiculous. My wife and I went to look at some Townhouses last weekend but I was so against it. I told her I didnt want to share a wall and if Im paying a ridiculous amount of money, Im not sharing sh*t lol but to make the wife happy and try to keep an open mind I went to see some new townhouses with her. Tri-level amd by the end of the tour we climed 18 flights of stairs. Let me tell you, my knees hurt, her hips were hurting. We were all screwed up amd feeling our age lol. I didnt know that RFA were different then BTA. I thought all anemones needed a time frame of at least 6mo b4 they can be introduced to a tank. Whats the time frame for RFA?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Yes girl, house prices in Cali are freaking ridiculous. My wife and I went to look at some Townhouses last weekend but I was so against it. I told her I didnt want to share a wall and if Im paying a ridiculous amount of money, Im not sharing sh*t lol but to make the wife happy and try to keep an open mind I went to see some new townhouses with her. Tri-level amd by the end of the tour we climed 18 flights of stairs. Let me tell you, my knees hurt, her hips were hurting. We were all screwed up amd feeling our age lol. I didnt know that RFA were different then BTA. I thought all anemones needed a time frame of at least 6mo b4 they can be introduced to a tank. Whats the time frame for RFA?

I believe RFA are the same as any other softie coral, like mushrooms.  In fact, I would guess even easier since they so readily eat.   I think @FlowerMama added RFAs to a newly cycled aquarium and they did just fine.  Hoepfully she sees this and chimes in :).

I hear you on not sharing walls!  We lived in an apartment for a few months when we first moved out here.  Horrible LOL.  I hate hearing my neighbors, and smelling their cigarette smoke, and everything else that comes with it!!!!!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gena said:

I believe RFA are the same as any other softie coral, like mushrooms.  In fact, I would guess even easier since they so readily eat.   I think @FlowerMama added RFAs to a newly cycled aquarium and they did just fine.  Hoepfully she sees this and chimes in :).

I hear you on not sharing walls!  We lived in an apartment for a few months when we first moved out here.  Horrible LOL.  I hate hearing my neighbors, and smelling their cigarette smoke, and everything else that comes with it!!!!!

Ooo maybe I can find a small RFA at RAP. One of my LFS has a couple RFA but it looks lame. I want one of those fluorescent ones. I probably wont get any good pickings tho at RAP cuz I'll be going on Sunday. I have to work Sat morning and will be too mentally drained to take a drive up there after work. We live in an apartment now. Our layout is actually not that bad but we do share a livingroom wall with our neighbor. They have small kids so with that in mind that confirms that we dont want any small children of our own lol. Our kids are grown already. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Minmay said:

I like petsmart for FW and accessories...i do like to look at the few SW stuff they sell but its usually pretty sad looking lol

Truth lol. And ours is a mini size PetSmart too, but they have it tucked under their fish with other substrate items.

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Minmay said:

Ooo maybe I can find a small RFA at RAP. One of my LFS has a couple RFA but it looks lame. I want one of those fluorescent ones. I probably wont get any good pickings tho at RAP cuz I'll be going on Sunday. I have to work Sat morning and will be too mentally drained to take a drive up there after work. We live in an apartment now. Our layout is actually not that bad but we do share a livingroom wall with our neighbor. They have small kids so with that in mind that confirms that we dont want any small children of our own lol. Our kids are grown already. 

I'm going to get there on Saturday, hopefully close to opening time.  I'll keep an eye out for awesome RFAs for you ;).

Yeah, kids, no way LOL.  If you have grown kids already, you've done your time :lol:.  We are almost empty-nesters, and while I'm really sad about it...I'm also excited LOL.

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, gena said:

I'm going to get there on Saturday, hopefully close to opening time.  I'll keep an eye out for awesome RFAs for you ;).

Yeah, kids, no way LOL.  If you have grown kids already, you've done your time :lol:.  We are almost empty-nesters, and while I'm really sad about it...I'm also excited LOL.

Thanks!! The guy that maybe selling his blastos will be at RAP. He's a tall guy with cool looking white hair lol. My wife's daughter has her own place but my kids tho ...smh I have a 21yr that still sleeps with teddy bears l. I think shes gonna live with me for the rest of my life. Shes sooo scary. My youngest is actually 15 and i think she'll leave the nest b4 her sister does ???

• Like 1