Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

kinetic Red Sea Reefer 170

kinetic

Nem's have arrived. The BTA looks great, the H. Magnifica is not doing too well.

This is him during drip acclimation:

37434782154_0cf9967532_b.jpg

In the Display Tank for now. I have a QT/Treatment tank ready, but since he was already treated and healthy for a long while before ever being shipped to me, I am waiting it out in the DT for a day:

24295976368_2559a83bf4_b.jpg

38092779946_1636e314db_b.jpg

Somehow a clown got in! Let the guy have a rest! I had to chase him out. Now all the clowns want in:

38095011946_0e97d79cff_b.jpg

A few minutes ago, took another shot:

38151051941_319a6ec2aa_b.jpg

Here's my setup that allows flow in, but tries to keep the clowns out:

38151049851_e01b31e371_b.jpg

Summary:

1. No excretions
  2. Holding onto the bottom of breeder box
  3. Insides are showing, but 60% better than when I first got him in
  4. Tentacles are deflated / shortened

My TT tank is full of DT tank water that I just took out with a big water change. It has a Maxi-Jet and a 50 watt heater and glass bowl. I'll wait until 8pm or so to decide if I should put the nem in the TT and start dosing cipro. I have another tub of water already mixing ready to go for tomorrow's 100% TT water change if needed.

A quick video of a new BTA (not the H. Mag). It's starting to move to the back of the tank lol:

And a photo:

38092794326_f3ea311c11_b.jpg

• Like 4
Good news! As of 23:45 pacific, H Mag is twice as inflated, tentacles inflated quite a bit, and mouth is almost totally closed up now! He's a bit too big for this box now, but I'll move him onto the pedestal in the morning if his mouth is totally closed up and fully inflated. The ocellaris are so excited to get in there (one already got in twice, geeze).

What a huge improvement over the last few hours. Photos taken a few minutes ago:

24303869568_e9f0776f51_b.jpg

38100878106_169b315cdf_b.jpg
  • Like 10

yeah good job, i thought for sure we were going to get a bad update.  glad it's making its way back, the clowns are going to love it.

i'm pretty excited to watch this tank unfold

Woke up this morning and the mag was very inflated, tentacles totally fluffed out, and mouth closed tight. So excited!

38172381071_c8d529abe1_b.jpg

The LED's were still super dim as they just came on, so I turned off all the flow and placed the mag on the pedestal. Here's his mouth and the clowns immediately took to it.

37461979894_6f400945be_b.jpg

Sun came out while waiting for the mag to grip the rock (left the pumps off for almost 50 minutes before he decided to plant his whole foot down and do the fried egg thing):

38172376301_8d6ae07fec_b.jpg

Since the flow was off, took the chance to snap a photo from above

37461967884_9d75ea8698_b.jpg

Turned on the flow after almost an hour!

38172371171_48363b68af_b.jpg

Clowns love this thing

38116274236_becae1b9b1_b.jpg

38140515932_73af88bf5a_b.jpg

Lastly some shots from the side

38116266586_164b46036b_b.jpg

38116262976_b06cb92613_b.jpg

38116258386_909c9b9c74_b.jpg

As of 5 minutes ago, the female finally decided to join in on the fun, and promptly kicked everyone out! Rude!

Video uploading to Youtube:

https://youtu.be/fTd_WuBArS4

• Like 13

Looking awesome! Glad to see that the H. Mag is doing well now!

Also, when you ordered from SA did you get pictures of what you were getting (like WYSIWYG) or did you order hoping they would look good? Seeing your clowns, especially those Gladiator/DaVinci ones, makes me think I may be best served going with DaVinci or Gladiators instead of Picassos.

2 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

Looking awesome! Glad to see that the H. Mag is doing well now!

Also, when you ordered from SA did you get pictures of what you were getting (like WYSIWYG) or did you order hoping they would look good? Seeing your clowns, especially those Gladiator/DaVinci ones, makes me think I may be best served going with DaVinci or Gladiators instead of Picassos.

Yeah, having the mag in the tank is pretty incredible. The tank feels so alive, the clowns are so excited.

I just trusted the clowns would look nice. I was getting a group, so I figured they'd all be pretty unique. I have one Fancy White Extreme that is premium grade for sure. The other small ones (except for the one I gave away) are all at least Grade A. The WYSIWYG bonded pair of mocha gladiators I got are probably, at best, Grade B. Still absolutely amazing looking. The little Mocha one I have is just a standard mocha. Cute as heck.

If you check out the youtube link, you'll see a video of all of them squishing around in the nem. Melts my heart.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, kinetic said:

Yeah, having the mag in the tank is pretty incredible. The tank feels so alive, the clowns are so excited.

I just trusted the clowns would look nice. I was getting a group, so I figured they'd all be pretty unique. I have one Fancy White Extreme that is premium grade for sure. The other small ones (except for the one I gave away) are all at least Grade A. The WYSIWYG bonded pair of mocha gladiators I got are probably, at best, Grade B. Still absolutely amazing looking. The little Mocha one I have is just a standard mocha. Cute as heck.

If you check out the youtube link, you'll see a video of all of them squishing around in the nem. Melts my heart.

Thanks! I really like the Fancy White Extreme that you have, I think I may do a group of them, and am kicking around the idea of doing 1 Wyoming white/snowflake.

The video of them hosting in the mag is awesome. Have any of them approached the BTA yet?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jesseatam said:

Watching those baby clowns play in the nem made my heart melt, makes me want to get something to host my little clown.

It's incredible. They went from confused little animals, to absolutely delighted squishy balls of orange. They are having a constant party in the nem. Bouncing in and out, smashing their faces into it (one loves smashing his face at the mouth of the nem, thank goodness it's holding tight). It's just incredible. Reminds me of dogs playing in a sea of long grass (minus the fur and ticks). I really cannot imagine keeping ocellaris without a magnifica ever again. This is just incredible. The clowns could care less about the BTAs. As soon as the mag hit the water they were all over it. They got in it while I was still holding it in my hand ready to place it down onto the pedestal.

If you have the space and ability to possibly treat it on arrival, you should get a mag for your little ocellaris. Not sure if your 30g will work, though my tank is only 36g (50g total water volume) and I have probably the smallest mag you can find.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

Thanks! I really like the Fancy White Extreme that you have, I think I may do a group of them, and am kicking around the idea of doing 1 Wyoming white/snowflake.

The video of them hosting in the mag is awesome. Have any of them approached the BTA yet?

If you're getting two types, you should probably get an equal amount of each. Having as many from the same clutch would be best, and would look nice. You'll otherwise probably pay a lot more attention to the one wyoming white/snow than the others. I already have a favorite (won't say who, the others will be jealous), and I always look at him and don't pay as much attention to the others.

If you look, SA has great deals on snowflakes right now. Only a handful of Fancy White Extremes left. By the way, I'd just get the extremes or just the semis (gladiators). They are so hard to tell apart and look like they might even be from the same clutch, just different amount of white barring. My last purchase was one semi and one extreme, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were just from the same clutch that they tried to separate out for pricing.

• Thanks 1
48 hours magnifica update:

Mag goes from tall vase inflation to squat fat. It has to do with the flow in the tank. I have a Maxspect Gyre on the Ocean Gyre Current preset, which will have fairly still periods and then whips it around for a while longer (even sometimes running the impellers backwards). When it's still, the mag gets squat and fat. When the flow is high the mag gets tall and vase like. It's either the mag inflating itself, or the flow pulling it up (maybe a bit of both). The foot is truly just 3" across, but the top is easily 6 - 7".

FTS first:
38163451012_39ac289e8a_b.jpg

Closeup including foot in squat mode:
38163445782_7db54b32cf_b.jpg
  • Like 5
On 11/5/2017 at 1:09 PM, richnyc said:

wow I love your tank  What is that thing on top of the flat rock.  I am sure you already explained it.  I just can't think of the purpose?  

I'm guessing you mean the gray stuff? That is reef epoxy (TLF Aquastik). H. Magnifica like super smooth, non-porous surfaces to attach to. The reef epoxy works perfect. So far the mag seems to love the spot.

Best rock spot for a H. Mag:
  1. Lots of light, lots of random flow, which is usually the highest spot you have
  2. Pedestal, so that the mag can't find a foothold any higher than he is. Most likely won't climb down rock faces, but will seek out tank glass to go up
  3. Smooth non-porous surface big enough for the foot to fully extend
Video of all FTS and more:

• Like 5
22 hours ago, kinetic said:

Woke up this morning and the mag was very inflated, tentacles totally fluffed out, and mouth closed tight. So excited!

38172381071_c8d529abe1_b.jpg

The LED's were still super dim as they just came on, so I turned off all the flow and placed the mag on the pedestal. Here's his mouth and the clowns immediately took to it.

37461979894_6f400945be_b.jpg

Sun came out while waiting for the mag to grip the rock (left the pumps off for almost 50 minutes before he decided to plant his whole foot down and do the fried egg thing):

38172376301_8d6ae07fec_b.jpg

Since the flow was off, took the chance to snap a photo from above

37461967884_9d75ea8698_b.jpg

Turned on the flow after almost an hour!

38172371171_48363b68af_b.jpg

Clowns love this thing

38116274236_becae1b9b1_b.jpg

38140515932_73af88bf5a_b.jpg

Lastly some shots from the side

38116266586_164b46036b_b.jpg

38116262976_b06cb92613_b.jpg

38116258386_909c9b9c74_b.jpg

As of 5 minutes ago, the female finally decided to join in on the fun, and promptly kicked everyone out! Rude!

Video uploading to Youtube:

https://youtu.be/fTd_WuBArS4

This is amazing!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Just saw the youtube vid... :wub: That magnifica looks amazing! One of my favorite tanks right now. 

Thanks Rory! I'm glad you like it all. I probably should spend more time editing my videos, but right now it's just stitching them together with iMovie. Not sure what to do next with the tank. Probably just let it mature a bit and wait for the BTA's to settle down, then maybe get a couple SPS and let them grow out fully.

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is amazing!!!

Thanks Weet!

6 hours ago, kinetic said:

It's incredible. They went from confused little animals, to absolutely delighted squishy balls of orange. They are having a constant party in the nem. Bouncing in and out, smashing their faces into it (one loves smashing his face at the mouth of the nem, thank goodness it's holding tight). It's just incredible. Reminds me of dogs playing in a sea of long grass (minus the fur and ticks). I really cannot imagine keeping ocellaris without a magnifica ever again. This is just incredible. The clowns could care less about the BTAs. As soon as the mag hit the water they were all over it. They got in it while I was still holding it in my hand ready to place it down onto the pedestal.

If you have the space and ability to possibly treat it on arrival, you should get a mag for your little ocellaris. Not sure if your 30g will work, though my tank is only 36g (50g total water volume) and I have probably the smallest mag you can find.

I would love to try a mag or something similar but I don't think I'm experienced enough yet or have the proper setup to treat one, I was thinking something more like a toadstool :lol:

7 hours ago, jesseatam said:

I would love to try a mag or something similar but I don't think I'm experienced enough yet or have the proper setup to treat one, I was thinking something more like a toadstool :lol:

Maybe try a torch or frogspawn? Though tbh, I've had clowns that hosted a frogspawn, and they did not look as ridiculously happy as they do in this mag. Takes a lot of research, but you can get there. This is my first mag (I've had BTA's before), and it seems like once they're healthy, keeping them is easier than SPS since they're inverts and don't need much in terms of dosing (Alk, mg, Ca, trace elements...).

• Like 1

Just turned around and one of the small males finally found his way into the bubbletip. He only stayed for a little while, and left. I think the flow is too strong. I'm thinking of turning down the flow just a tad. Though maybe I should just leave it and see if he returns.

He seemed to be pretty happy in it, but struggled to stay in when the gyre kicked in.

38203288492_fb7d22354f_b.jpg

38203282022_ed2defe51b_b.jpg

38203276582_c82f492ac5_b.jpg

A further away system shot with the magnifica in full vase mode:

38203298562_449efa7234_b.jpg

38203292342_9f318866dc_b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2