Pod Your Reef

kinetic Red Sea Reefer 170

kinetic

29 minutes ago, Nickbruh510 said:

Sounds like a plan!! can't wait to see the rsr 170 with a writer. I had one a few years ago and it was fantastic!!! hopefully it is big enough for all your clowns

ohhh before i forget, what uv sterilizer have you used?. my water seems a bit cloudy so I'm thinking of running carbon or go with a uv sterilizer.

It'll probably be too small for ALL the clowns, so hopefully I'll be getting a few other BTA's later to help supplement while the magnifica grows huge.

I used an average quality Green Killing Machine 9watt. Just drop it into the sump and plug it in. It was actually pretty good! Pump quieted down after a day, and it worked quickly. I pulled it out of the sump now, but if I ever need it again, I'll just plug it in and drop it into the sump again. Not too pricey, especially for quick fixes. If I were to get something permanent / long term I'd probably invest in something inline or just get the UV kit for my TECO chiller. But glad I won't be needing it going forward.

I run carbon 24/7. I use BRS ROX 0.8 in a BRS mini. It doesn't do much to help cloudiness, but it does absorb anything weird I might have in the water. Definitely going to be needing it in case anemone allopathy is a real thing. It could help your cloudiness, otherwise a UV Sterilizer will do the trick. 

2 hours ago, Nickbruh510 said:

, and so in your experience what does the carbon really do for you?.

Other than bacteria, carbon keeps water pretty clear. I run it more for the sake of it absorbing anything I'm not aware of. It can't hurt. I've always run it in my tanks, and even when it seems clear, after running carbon for a few hours, it's even clearer.

But if you have a bacteria bloom, carbon isn't going to do much. You'll have to either wait out the bloom (assuming it will starve at some point), or just get a UV filter to kill it all off. If you have a constant source that keeps the bacteria coming back big time, then you can just run a UV forever (though the source of food for that bacteria is probably better off remedied instead of counting on a persistent uv).

6 hours ago, Nickbruh510 said:

, and so in your experience what does the carbon really do for you?.

To add what kinetic posted about carbon. For me it is a fail safe if something gets into the water. Aerosols, hand oils, etc.  

• Like 1

I love how this is coming along. I’m actually setting up a very similar tank currently, even with the Simplicity DC120, I might swap it later for a Skimz, Vertex, or NYOS like you did. The sound doesn’t bother me but the micro bubbles do.

I’m also planning on ordering from SA for a collection of Picassos, did you put your through a quarantine or straight into the display?

Any thoughts on putting a group of juveniles with an older female clown? I have had her living alone for 3+ years now. I was thinking it might help reduce aggression since the top of the pecking order is already there.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

I love how this is coming along. I’m actually setting up a very similar tank currently, even with the Simplicity DC120, I might swap it later for a Skimz, Vertex, or NYOS like you did. The sound doesn’t bother me but the micro bubbles do.

I’m also planning on ordering from SA for a collection of Picassos, did you put your through a quarantine or straight into the display?

Any thoughts on putting a group of juveniles with an older female clown? I have had her living alone for 3+ years now. I was thinking it might help reduce aggression since the top of the pecking order is already there.

Yeah, even though I kept griping about the Simplicity, it's actually a great skimmer I would recommend. For the price, it's awesome. Their customer service is really fantastic. I wouldn't upgrade to a Skimz, I hear they're more finicky to setup and are just as loud (or worse), though I think the pumps and controllers are all rebranded jebao. I hear the Vertex 130 is super hard to get setup too, and is nothing like the 150. So I'd stick with a Simplicity, Bubble Magus 5, NYOS, or even the little IceCap k-50. I hear Royal Exclusive is coming out with a tiny skimmer. I'm definitely getting that to try it out when it comes out!

Definitely go get your clowns from SA. You can also get them from local breeders (which would be ideal). But otherwise, SA is fantastic. Their customer service is top notch, and they really care about their clowns. They're all super healthy. 

They went straight into the display and didn't get QT. Even their acclimation instructions clearly and strongly say not to drip acclimate, but just to temp float and go. They're all captive bred in closed captive only systems, there's very small chance you'll bring in any disease. If they had disease, the fish would've died way before they were large enough to be sellable. That's the beauty from buying from an actual breeder. Their systems have to be totally free of disease to get these guys to where they are to be sold. I could be wrong, but hey, they're doing great so far with no signs of disease. I don't think it'll happen.

In terms of a group of juveniles with an older female, you can try it, but be ready to remove the female or the juveniles. They're all different, but the key is to be super proactive to keep everyone alive and happy. You'll have to be ready and not too attached to make big moves. Also having friends around who want to take in clownfish is helpful ;) You probably won't have a fight for the female position, but eventually you'll have bickering for the alpha male spot. That should be OK though, that kind of aggression is usually ok if spread amongst a group. Just keep an eye out. If one is getting bullied so it won't eat or hides and has a lot of nipped fins, you'll need to remove either the one that is bullied or the aggressor. If it's just ONE aggressor, take him out. If it's all of them bullying one, maybe take that one out. There's no good rule, nobody knows for sure at this point. Just gotta keep an eye out.

The other thing is, the female might be super vicious, even if you put in just one clown.

The best case, which is possible, is she's totally fine and happy with the new group, and the new group figures out the alpha pretty quickly.

One thing to note about SA: Even if you purchase "small" clowns, they might not all be the same size, even from the same clutch. So in the notes, ask them to pick ones that are all the same size. No guarantees, but they will be a bit more careful when they pick for you. I got a larger Vivid Fancy that was a thread to the alpha male / female pair in my group, and he was getting chased like crazy. Within 24 hours I had given him away, and all aggression from the male/female stopped completely. The other males are all too tiny to pose a threat.

7 hours ago, DaveFason said:

To add what kinetic posted about carbon. For me it is a fail safe if something gets into the water. Aerosols, hand oils, etc.  

Exactly! Dave's place is probably full of hand oils ;)

• Like 2

Hi Kinetic, your tank is looking fantastic! Love the look of that reefer without the black film on the back. Think i might do the same once i set my 170 up. I’m planning on using the royal exclusiv double cone 130. Friend of mine is using it on a similar setup, works great and oooh soooo quiet B)

2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Hi Kinetic, your tank is looking fantastic! Love the look of that reefer without the black film on the back. Think i might do the same once i set my 170 up. I’m planning on using the royal exclusiv double cone 130. Friend of mine is using it on a similar setup, works great and oooh soooo quiet B)

Yes, definitely get rid of the black back. Opens up the tank a good amount. I wish the overflow was on the side (peninsula style) and out of the way as well. I miss my old ELOS tank ;)

Double cone 130! I was thinking about that too. Let me know how you like it. You could also wait a bit and see about their new small skimmer they're releasing soon (end of year?). 

7 hours ago, kinetic said:

Yeah, even though I kept griping about the Simplicity, it's actually a great skimmer I would recommend. For the price, it's awesome. Their customer service is really fantastic. I wouldn't upgrade to a Skimz, I hear they're more finicky to setup and are just as loud (or worse), though I think the pumps and controllers are all rebranded jebao. I hear the Vertex 130 is super hard to get setup too, and is nothing like the 150. So I'd stick with a Simplicity, Bubble Magus 5, NYOS, or even the little IceCap k-50. I hear Royal Exclusive is coming out with a tiny skimmer. I'm definitely getting that to try it out when it comes out!

Definitely go get your clowns from SA. You can also get them from local breeders (which would be ideal). But otherwise, SA is fantastic. Their customer service is top notch, and they really care about their clowns. They're all super healthy. 

They went straight into the display and didn't get QT. Even their acclimation instructions clearly and strongly say not to drip acclimate, but just to temp float and go. They're all captive bred in closed captive only systems, there's very small chance you'll bring in any disease. If they had disease, the fish would've died way before they were large enough to be sellable. That's the beauty from buying from an actual breeder. Their systems have to be totally free of disease to get these guys to where they are to be sold. I could be wrong, but hey, they're doing great so far with no signs of disease. I don't think it'll happen.

In terms of a group of juveniles with an older female, you can try it, but be ready to remove the female or the juveniles. They're all different, but the key is to be super proactive to keep everyone alive and happy. You'll have to be ready and not too attached to make big moves. Also having friends around who want to take in clownfish is helpful ;) You probably won't have a fight for the female position, but eventually you'll have bickering for the alpha male spot. That should be OK though, that kind of aggression is usually ok if spread amongst a group. Just keep an eye out. If one is getting bullied so it won't eat or hides and has a lot of nipped fins, you'll need to remove either the one that is bullied or the aggressor. If it's just ONE aggressor, take him out. If it's all of them bullying one, maybe take that one out. There's no good rule, nobody knows for sure at this point. Just gotta keep an eye out.

The other thing is, the female might be super vicious, even if you put in just one clown.

The best case, which is possible, is she's totally fine and happy with the new group, and the new group figures out the alpha pretty quickly.

One thing to note about SA: Even if you purchase "small" clowns, they might not all be the same size, even from the same clutch. So in the notes, ask them to pick ones that are all the same size. No guarantees, but they will be a bit more careful when they pick for you. I got a larger Vivid Fancy that was a thread to the alpha male / female pair in my group, and he was getting chased like crazy. Within 24 hours I had given him away, and all aggression from the male/female stopped completely. The other males are all too tiny to pose a threat.

Thanks for your insight! I’ve heard good things about SA, and that’s really good to know to ask specifically for same batch and similar size in the order. If they weren’t so far I’d love to take a drive and hand select my Picassos but Chicago to Tennessee is a pretty substantial trip. 

I actually didnt know know you had a thread on NR, I originally saw yours on RC and that’s what made me decide to give a Nano harem a shot.

I actually like the Simplicity skimmer, the sound is acceptable to me but I am not a huge fan of all the micro bubbles with it. If Royal Exclusive’s skimmer looks good I would definitely be interested depending on the pricing for it, I’m curious to see how it looks.

1 hour ago, Halo_003 said:

Thanks for your insight! I’ve heard good things about SA, and that’s really good to know to ask specifically for same batch and similar size in the order. If they weren’t so far I’d love to take a drive and hand select my Picassos but Chicago to Tennessee is a pretty substantial trip. 

I actually didnt know know you had a thread on NR, I originally saw yours on RC and that’s what made me decide to give a Nano harem a shot.

I actually like the Simplicity skimmer, the sound is acceptable to me but I am not a huge fan of all the micro bubbles with it. If Royal Exclusive’s skimmer looks good I would definitely be interested depending on the pricing for it, I’m curious to see how it looks.

Yeah the microbubbles in the Simplicity leak out quite a bit. I never really cared since my bubble trap does a good job keeping it out of the display, but I saw bubbles getting caught everywhere. My NYOS does a great job containing all microbubbles, which I guess is a plus.

Here's the small skimmer I read about:

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/10/16/unannounced-bubble-king-micro-skimmer-spotted-at-royal-exclusiv-factory/

Looks tiny, but should be pretty good for our tank size. I know someone who uses the Icecap K-50 with great success on his RSR 170. That thing is probably half the size of my NYOS / the Simplicity. I think the one above will be about that size, and could be perfect.

Curious how you like the apex ATK top off.  I am using the stock ATO, and beginning to have problems with it.  Valve will be open and no drip.  I have to check daily.  I have apex classic, I use the very basic programming.  I was looking closely at your sump and it looks like you have mounted in the return pump chamber on the wall that holds the sponge for micro bubbles.  Is that right?

Does it fit well.  With the redundant float valve I'm not sure how it would fit in.  Howe did you do it.  You can remove the float, but back up for the back up is good thing.  Overall are you happy with the ATK, was is difficult to program.  Would you recommend it.

Thanks for all your info, I really like your set up!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, brianinak said:

Curious how you like the apex ATK top off.  I am using the stock ATO, and beginning to have problems with it.  Valve will be open and no drip.  I have to check daily.  I have apex classic, I use the very basic programming.  I was looking closely at your sump and it looks like you have mounted in the return pump chamber on the wall that holds the sponge for micro bubbles.  Is that right?

Does it fit well.  With the redundant float valve I'm not sure how it would fit in.  Howe did you do it.  You can remove the float, but back up for the back up is good thing.  Overall are you happy with the ATK, was is difficult to program.  Would you recommend it.

Thanks for all your info, I really like your set up!

Hey Brian!

The Neptune ATK has been rock solid from day 1. I have it hooked up to my Apex Jr., though I bet your Apex Classic should work too. It could also just work as a standalone. I've had A LOT of different ATO systems in the past, and this one is by far the best. Magnet is strong and stays in place, the double sensors work wonders, the float valve is fine, PMUP does its job. I don't think I have any gripes about it at all.

I have it mounted against the inside bubble trap baffle, but it sits inside the return chamber (where it needs to be). There's no way it would fit in between the two baffles. I had it on the back wall of the sump before, but the sump wouldn't fit all the way into the stand and hang a bit over the front lip. It actually didn't touch the door, but I decided to mount it on the baffle and push the sump all the way into the cabinet.

The float valve fits fine, it's above my return pump which is pretty big (Reef Octopus VarioS-4) without any issues. I'm pretty sure I'll never need the float valve to kick in, but you never know.

It was really easy to program with the Apex Fusion "Tasks" option. Having it programmed in with my Apex Jr. is actually nice. When the high level sensor is closed, I send an alarm (push notification). So far it's only alarmed me when I'm actually at the tank fiddling around. My ATO Reservoir has a low water level sensor in it as well, so I'll get a push notification + email when I need to refill it. I currently just open up the ball valve from my RO/DI to fill up the reservoir. Hoping to get another FMM and hook up a solenoid to it to do this by itself! But I'm afraid of too much automation.

Hope that helps!

22 minutes ago, kinetic said:

Hey Brian!

The Neptune ATK has been rock solid from day 1. I have it hooked up to my Apex Jr., though I bet your Apex Classic should work too. It could also just work as a standalone. I've had A LOT of different ATO systems in the past, and this one is by far the best. Magnet is strong and stays in place, the double sensors work wonders, the float valve is fine, PMUP does its job. I don't think I have any gripes about it at all.

I have it mounted against the inside bubble trap baffle, but it sits inside the return chamber (where it needs to be). There's no way it would fit in between the two baffles. I had it on the back wall of the sump before, but the sump wouldn't fit all the way into the stand and hang a bit over the front lip. It actually didn't touch the door, but I decided to mount it on the baffle and push the sump all the way into the cabinet.

The float valve fits fine, it's above my return pump which is pretty big (Reef Octopus VarioS-4) without any issues. I'm pretty sure I'll never need the float valve to kick in, but you never know.

It was really easy to program with the Apex Fusion "Tasks" option. Having it programmed in with my Apex Jr. is actually nice. When the high level sensor is closed, I send an alarm (push notification). So far it's only alarmed me when I'm actually at the tank fiddling around. My ATO Reservoir has a low water level sensor in it as well, so I'll get a push notification + email when I need to refill it. I currently just open up the ball valve from my RO/DI to fill up the reservoir. Hoping to get another FMM and hook up a solenoid to it to do this by itself! But I'm afraid of too much automation.

Hope that helps!

I am reading/youtubing up on the ATK right now.  Think I like it!  The leak detector and extra sensory eye are cheap and no brainer for the price.  Thanks for all the info.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, kinetic said:

Yes, definitely get rid of the black back. Opens up the tank a good amount. I wish the overflow was on the side (peninsula style) and out of the way as well. I miss my old ELOS tank ;)

Double cone 130! I was thinking about that too. Let me know how you like it. You could also wait a bit and see about their new small skimmer they're releasing soon (end of year?). 

I already have the double cone. Check my build thread as i don’t want to spam your thread with my own pics. Planning on using a different sump and changing the plumbing. First i’m setting up a fusion 10 for my daughters birthday. When she turns one she’s getting a clownfish :D

• Like 1

Found some new small critters on the glass today:

From the side:

24242594768_9c0b9551d2.jpg

From underneath:

38042225696_895e53c915.jpg

Whatever it is, it looks cool close up. That was taken with a macro lens at almost 1:1 magnification.

I just hope it's not a pest, but so far I can't find anything that says so. Only a few sources for it:

1. Reefcleaners chaeto
  2. AlgaeBarn 5280 pods
  3. Nassarius snails from LFS
  4. AlgaeBarn ORA cerith snails, or ORA trochus snails
  5. Pooped out by my Geometric Pygmy hawkfish or SA clowns

Also, my H. Magnifica is arriving on Friday! Purchasing from someone who keeps mags regularly and has had this one for awhile now that he had treated with cipro to full health. I have started putting a pedestal rock together for him. I've stacked a few marcorocks so that there's a good spot to place a tonga shelf rock (about 5"x7") on top. The shelf rock is in a tub right now getting all of its phosphates absorbed up with lanthanum chloride. It probably won't be done leeching by Friday, but I think what's left will be good for my chaeto reactor ;)

Kind of crazy, but I also found a nice 7" neon green bta with purple tips that's also coming on Friday. Hopefully the clowns will take to both new nems at the same time. I'll be running brand new carbon just in case on Friday.

• Wow 1
Building the base for the Magnifica's pedestal. Added a small rock to make the highest point, not a point. Tomorrow I will attach the final flat tonga shelf rock to the top of this:

38097858391_f2cd24b317_c.jpg

38067057492_4e2668c138_c.jpg

There are plenty of contact points for the flat shelf rock to sit on that. I have the largest stick of reef epoxy to get this all to stay.

Plan:
  1. Remove shelf rock from RO/DI tub tomorrow morning (it's been in there for a week now while I dose lanthanum chloride to pull as much phosphates out as possible)
  2. Rinse with a bunch of RO/DI and let dry for most of the day (12-ish hours)
  3. Use a whole stick of reef epoxy in big globs at the contact points, adding small dabs of cyanoacrylate (super glue gel) on the epoxy to help it cure when underwater
  4. Hold rock in place with my hand for about 30 seconds, hope the clowns don't nibble me too much
  5. By Friday, when the H. mag arrives, the epoxy should be all cured and holding tight
  • Like 2
Pretty saturated photo of my Rainbow BTA. I could post a not-so-saturated shot, but this kind of shows off the colors he's getting back since being shipped. He's a bit pastel colored when fully inflated during the daytime, when the evening comes around and blues are dominating, he's a pretty dark color.

And of course, with my luck, he stays behind my rock work facing the back wall, where it's almost impossible to see him. LOL.

38100749071_cb25e986d5_b.jpg

And a video of it waving around:

• Like 1
burtbollinger
On 10/31/2017 at 7:31 PM, kinetic said:

do you find it lights up the room a lot more with out the black backing?

4 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

do you find it lights up the room a lot more with out the black backing?

I never thought about that, but it hasn't bothered me. To be fair, I took the back off even before I put the tank on the stand, so I don't have a comparison. I've always had open back tanks. Also, the whole front and sides are open, and probably creating the majority of light leak, even with the back open, I can't imagine it being a lot worse.

I also run my white LED's pretty strong, so it's less blue so it's kind of nice in the room. If I ever get more than just anemones, I'll probably need to bump the whites down...

• Like 1
I'm deciding on which rock to use for the H. Mag. The first one below is larger by about 1" shortest diameter, and 2" longest diameter. Good for the nem to grow a bit. The second is big enough (reportedly) to hold it with 2 - 3" extra space to grow. Obv. I could just go with the larger, but aesthetics mean a lot too. Maybe there isn't enough of a difference, but what do you guys think. A or B?

A
38129763331_8d916950fa_c.jpg

38129755831_137e279ab7_c.jpg

B
38129749091_aaacb549a0_c.jpg

26353207099_8eccc6a293_c.jpg
  • Like 2

B is imho the best choice. Waiting for those nem pics :D.

How would you compare the elos tanks with the red sea tanks? I've been looking at the elos system 70 as an alternative to the reefer 170.

Is it worth the extra money?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

B is imho the best choice. Waiting for those nem pics :D.

How would you compare the elos tanks with the red sea tanks? I've been looking at the elos system 70 as an alternative to the reefer 170.

Is it worth the extra money?

Not worth the extra at all. This RSR is better than my ELOS 120 by far. The only thing ELOS has on the RSR is the corner overflow vs. center placement, which is just subjective. The silicon work is a bit more detailed on the ELOS tanks, but their SUMPS are poorly designed. The only reason I'd get an ELOS now would be for the clear backs and corner overflows, but Red Sea customer support is 100x better too (at least from when I had mine back in the day).