Cultivated Reef

Angry-Monkey's IM Nuvo 10 - New FTS

Angry-Monkey

Sorry to hear about your loss. I love TSB's but they seem to be so fragile. 

Tank is looking fantastic, we have really similar setups. 

@teenyreef i've been looking for your light schedule :). Going to try it myself, your tank is still the holy grail of fusion 10's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP you mentioned you want to get your white lights up to 50% over the next few months...

i would highly recommend you don't go that high with them.  i have the same light, over the same tank, and have not been able to get mine past 28-30% range without bleaching things out.  they are very strong.

i have a light schedule very similar to teenyreef's and have observed the same things as him.  my blue/cyan/UV all peak at 90% for midday settings, and my white only peaks at 22% now.  i have gotten much better coloration from all of my corals by blasting them with the blue spectrum and dialing the whites way back.  during the evening setting, my tank is very blue, blue and UV at 80%, cyan at 50%, white at 3%.  

even davefason (whom you should know by now!) is running his own Nanobox at around this ratio.  in fact i think he has 0% white in the morning and evening, with very high blues/uv all throughout his light cycle, and no white spectrum during midday, only lime at 20%

i have had the light for almost a year, and have played with it nonstop over that time, and i am almost certain i have it where i want it.  i will probably SLOWLY get my blue spectrum a little higher during midday, but i'm pretty sure i'm never going to go past 24-25% whites again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

OP you mentioned you want to get your white lights up to 50% over the next few months...

i would highly recommend you don't go that high with them.  i have the same light, over the same tank, and have not been able to get mine past 28-30% range without bleaching things out.  they are very strong.

i have a light schedule very similar to teenyreef's and have observed the same things as him.  my blue/cyan/UV all peak at 90% for midday settings, and my white only peaks at 22% now.  i have gotten much better coloration from all of my corals by blasting them with the blue spectrum and dialing the whites way back.  during the evening setting, my tank is very blue, blue and UV at 80%, cyan at 50%, white at 3%.  

even davefason (whom you should know by now!) is running his own Nanobox at around this ratio.  in fact i think he has 0% white in the morning and evening, with very high blues/uv all throughout his light cycle, and no white spectrum during midday, only lime at 20%

i have had the light for almost a year, and have played with it nonstop over that time, and i am almost certain i have it where i want it.  i will probably SLOWLY get my blue spectrum a little higher during midday, but i'm pretty sure i'm never going to go past 24-25% whites again. 

Thanks @gone_PHiSHin, that's very helpful. I was only thinking of going that high because I only have 2 channels to control and my lime/violet are tethered to my whites. I guess I'll aim for 30% max for maybe 3 hours of the day. 

I don't know anything about electrical, but do you know if it would be possible to connect the violet LEDs to the blue channel? It seems as though everyone with 4-5 channel control runs their violets more in line with their blues. And/or could I just disconnect 1 or more of the white LEDs entirely so that the channel is only lime/violet? 

that's above me and sounds like you need to contact Dave! :lol:

he can do it i'm sure, but maybe he can help you through it so you don't have to send it out.  email or private message him and go from there!

I have honestly always ran pretty much pure blue spectrum the whole time I have ever ran leds that was with my NanoBox and my DIY lights. I may turn on my whites,if I do its verrrrrry little percentage,maybe 2-5% and mainly for pictures. 

14 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

that's above me and sounds like you need to contact Dave! :lol:

he can do it i'm sure, but maybe he can help you through it so you don't have to send it out.  email or private message him and go from there!

Yeah, it would be a pain to send out as I'm up in Canada. 

40 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

ah ok, yeah that may be expensive and a pain...still worth contacting him about it though

Yeah. I'll wait a bit and see if your bat signal works.

Have a tank thread for your IM10?

no unfortunately i don't.  i was just saying in another thread that it's about time i start one, the tank is almost a year old!  i've gone relatively slow with it and i still have quite a bit of real estate left but  in the past few months it's been doing great and i'm really proud of it currently. 

it's just that i only have my iphone 6s for a camera and i can't take good pics of my tank!  i also haven't put much effort into it, so i'll have to get on that.  i just downloaded Snapseed, which i've been told helps with color editing. 

Do you have any concerns about the toadstool coral in such a small tank?  I've been considering one, but I'm concerned it'd grow too big and start to overshadow things.  Do they grow about as fast as other soft corals like kenya trees and xenia? 

@Angry-Monkey - If you want whiter spectrum lower the blue and then raise the whites. The reason so many people bleach corals with the whites is they leave the blue spectrums high and then increase the white light. Lower the blues for midday and then raise the white. 

I prefer my tanks blue but not everyone may like that. There are plenty of successful reefs with a whiter spectrum ( Sonjay ). 

As for separating the channels this will be hard. It would require an extra driver, channel, etc. 

-Dave

• Like 4
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

@Angry-Monkey - If you want whiter spectrum lower the blue and then raise the whites. The reason so many people bleach corals with the whites is they leave the blue spectrums high and then increase the white light. Lower the blues for midday and then raise the white. 

I prefer my tanks blue but not everyone may like that. There are plenty of successful reefs with a whiter spectrum ( Sonjay ). 

As for separating the channels this will be hard. It would require an extra driver, channel, etc. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave! I was actually wondering if there was an easy way to either couple the violet LEDs to my exisitng blue channel and/or disconnect 1 or more of the white LEDs from the white/lime/violet channel. 

I also prefer my tank very blue but I'd like to make better use of the lime and violet LEDs that are tethered to the white channel. 

1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

Do you have any concerns about the toadstool coral in such a small tank?  I've been considering one, but I'm concerned it'd grow too big and start to overshadow things.  Do they grow about as fast as other soft corals like kenya trees and xenia? 

Wasn't concerned until now! I guess that's a problem I'll address if I need to down the road. It's a pretty small piece at the moment, and I've also never heard anyone talking about toadstools with the same level of disdain as xenia or gsp.

• Like 1
On 06/12/2017 at 3:44 PM, DaveFason said:

Shoot me an email with a picture of the underside of the light. With the lights off :P 

david@nanoboxreef.com

Email sent. I figured out the moonlight thing that I mentioned in the email. It's hooked up to channel 3 labeled "violet" in the bluefish app rather than the "moonlight" channel.

1 hour ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Email sent. I figured out the moonlight thing that I mentioned in the email. It's hooked up to channel 3 labeled "violet" in the bluefish app rather than the "moonlight" channel.

You have a normal Tide with three channels. I did not have presets during that timeframe with Bluefish. If you rename the channel to Moonlight that will get you all set up. 

-Dave

Picked up a few more frags. Small frag of what I'm told are oxide zoas and 3 heads of "prowler" zoas which I think my LFS named themselves. Right now they don't look like the pictures they have up on their site but I guess I'll see if they change colors. Also got a pocillopora. 

5a3f0f6e5d42c_20171223_210502_HDR2.thumb.jpg.d48235485c85871e6f207320ea9ba62d.jpg

20171223_210436_HDR.thumb.jpg.68e1883bae05c88b0ced76c461c2fbb5.jpg

FTS

5a3f0e0a98e75_20171223_2105212.thumb.jpg.88b1f5418773df58089590380e5d8bba.jpg

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I like them!  Prowler...that sounds familiar.  Where did you get them?  Canada corals?  Fragbox?

Fragbox. That's where I get most of my coral. Do you live in the GTA?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Fragbox. That's where I get most of my coral. Do you live in the GTA?

Nope, I'm in BC, but Fragbox is a favorite place to order from!  I actually plan to make an order in a couple days, and I might have to add Prowler's to the list!

• Like 1