Pod Your Reef

Angry-Monkey's IM Nuvo 10 - New FTS

Angry-Monkey

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Nope, I'm in BC, but Fragbox is a favorite place to order from!  I actually plan to make an order in a couple days, and I might have to add Prowler's to the list!

Oh nice, yeah it's a cool little shop. Forgot that they ship all over the country as it's just 25 min away from my place. The Prowlers are cool, saw a nice piece in their tank but it was much larger so I'm hoping mine colors up under the nanobox. Theirs were more of a purple whereas mine are greenish. 

• Like 1
Angry-Monkey

Picked up a new acan and a blasto this weekend. Didn't understand the attraction to blastos until I actually saw some nice ones in-person. 

5a5443f8a4549_20180108_2046402.thumb.jpg.9026f0da79a3588be5a92d3759891bf6.jpg5a544486a121e_20180108_204657_HDR3.thumb.jpg.145a2aa6d284966609bc6c0c4fd52da4.jpg5a5444f9113e3_20180108_2122202.thumb.jpg.13e1eb42806c62466a9e79d26a9f3f81.jpg

• Like 4
Angry-Monkey
Just now, DaveFason said:

Looking great! Send me a full tank shot with the light and I will share. 

-Dave

Thanks! I'll try to take one tonight with my camera rather than cell. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Went on vacation for 4 days, came back to a cloudy tank, algae on he glass. All sps white with just very faint bit of colour here and there. Octospawn looks dead. Duncan, blasto, favia and acans look alive but pissed. Zoas are all closed, rics are shriveled and meteor shower has receded and is pale. Toadstool seems ok. Both fish seems ok.

Initially I thought my top off had run dry as that was my main fear before leaving. Third chamber was a little low but not really and ATO was full. Looked at my power strip to realize that after my w/c the day before leaving I had forgotten to turn my heater and ATO back on. Evaporation wasn't really an issue because of how cold the tank was running. What made things worse is that I had dropped our house thermostat to 16C (60.8F) before leaving. 

Turned the heater back on, topped up the evaporation and then did a 40% w/c. Tank came back up to temp overnight  and lights are just coming on now. I think most of my LPS and softies are going to make it.  Anyone think there is hope for the monticap, sunset monti, poccilipora and octospawn? What's the best strategy for trying to recover them? Should I decrease the lights at all?

Aldo, I ordered a jebao sw2 from China on eBay and it arrived while we were away. Is now a bad time to add it to the tank? The idea was to get more flow on my sps as im only running the return right now. Would more flow on them hurt or help possible recovery?

Added a picture of the most affected coral.

20180217_144047.thumb.jpg.154d1b51d4b03b3342c5a8a6b8a16aed.jpg

• Sad 2
17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That super sucks :(

How are all the corals looking today @Angry-Monkey? There's a chance the SPS will come back and color up, but it's hard to say. Are there any signs of flesh on the Octospawn? Do you think the water actually got close to 16C?

I didn't actually look at the thermometer to be honest. I stuck my finger in the tank, felt how cold it was and then turned the heater on and ran downstairs to get water going. I can only assume it got down there because it had several days to do so. 

Zoas are mostly still closed but some polyps from one morph were starting to open today. Acans, favia and duncan have all bounced back remarkably quickly. 

SPS looks like it'll all be toast. Octospawn had some flesh left but is further deteriorating so I think it's done as well. Meteor shower cyphastrea is the only one I'm hoping will bounce back. Quite a bit of tissue recession and the polyps look really sad. 

I also had a huge population of collonista snails and a couple stomatellas prior to the crash and it looks like I lost most of those as well. My astrea and hermit have pulled through. 

It's sad looking at the tank. And to be honest, I'm pretty shocked that I didn't lose absolutely everything in the tank. 

• Sad 2

Things look to have stabilized. Zoas are opening again. Their colours are a little messed up, mixed around a bit. Centers are now the color of the skirts. SPS and octospawn are dead but everything else seems to be recovering. Even the rics that tore themselves in half look to be on the mend. All in all lost 5/20 so not terrible considering...5a94cdbc8aed2_20180226_2214302.thumb.jpg.2746c9d1c3ff3f6b5928305bd07f51d1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Angry-Monkey

Nitrates we're back down <10 a few weeks ago so I picked up a bunch of frags a couple weeks ago to try and make things whole again. Got a rainbow monti, setosa, torch and some new zoas. Then I also picked up a cleaner shrimp and poccilopora yesterday. Thinking of getting a monticap and an octospawn and then letting things fill in. I've also been on the lookout for a porcelain crab. Pics to follow. 

That torn ric in the previous post looks like it will eventually split into 2-3 as a result of the crash, so a bit of a silver lining!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Angry-Monkey

Tank has been doing well since the crash. Rics haven't returned to where they were but everything else is doing well. Had to move the torch around a bit before I found a place where it was happy. Rainbow monti and setosa have been doing very well and showing new growth all the time. I've gotten a little lazy and dropped water changes to every two weeks instead of every week (2 gallons). Monitoring closely but I don't see any increase in algae growth. Corals definitely perked up after yesterday's water change so I may have to go back to weekly...

Also, looks like my entire cleanup crew has turned over. Hermit crab which had been terrorising the tank tank may have finally kicked the bucket. Running with no snails or crabs at the moment.

Updated FTS:

DSC_0466.thumb.jpg.dcc6eac57504263d1b8aea9afe7c2b6c.jpg

Rainbow monti and setosa:

DSC_0473-1.thumb.jpg.7479ec6e131871e470125e2ca49f6aec.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Angry-Monkey

Lost the skunk cleaner shrimp at some point within the last couple months. Still having issues with the torch placement. It's the only piece in the tank that isn't doing well. Rainbow monti and setosa are still growing fast. My cyphastrea, which was one of the first frags I got finally started growing about a month ago after being dormant for almost a year. Duncan is taking up a ton of space now, and my first acan frag has finally sprouted some new heads (6 is now 9). Picked up a new frag of octospawn to replace the one that died during my crash.

I had also been having some issues with my sicce 0.5, would usually take quite a few on/off cycles before it would switch back on after a water change so I ordered a sicce 1.0 to replace it. I'd been unhappy with the flow in the tank because of my y-splitter on the return nozzle so the 1.0 has been a welcome addition. I've also ordered a new heater (50 w cobalt neotherm) which I haven't added to the tank yet.

FTS

DSC_0728.thumb.jpg.5bf00a2991c118322636b5f8e930a42f.jpg

• Like 2
Angry-Monkey
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Heck yes, the tank is looking great. Love the Setosa!

Thanks Dave! I added it to my wish list after seeing it in your tank. Took a little while to find one locally.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Quick update as it's been a while and the tank passed its one year anniversary a few weeks ago.

I can't seem to keep euphyllia. I lost both the torch and the second frogspawn. They both started ok then started going down hill and died after a few months. Also lost the purple pocillopora, I believe due to poor flow as I think it was getting plenty of light. Zoas also aren't particularly happy but are holding on. One morph which has been looking particularly unhappy since I scraped them off the frag plug early this year has finally recovered and is starting to pop up new heads.

My rainbow Monti and setosa continue to be great growers and the meteor shower cyphastrea which was dormant for the better part of a year is taking off now and spreading like crazy. I have a couple baby ricordeas that are sitting around not really doing much. My blastocyst sprouted a new head and it looks like it has 3-4 more baby heads now so ioved my toadstool to give it more space to expand into. 

Rainbow Monti and setosa

20180926_232812.thumb.jpg.30de5643b1f25b261862c660d45ac52a.jpg

FTS

20180926_210314.thumb.jpg.61849c175efefa04485c76e7a8f6fa29.jpg

• Like 1

Should also add that my Tide was down and had to be sent to Dave for repairs. Didn't notice how much I enjoyed the light until it was gone and I had to resort to my backup (lumini Asta 20).