inTank Media Baskets

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

56 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Our PPC only fragged his friends; now he has no more friends. His poms, however, are magnificent. 

Crabs be crabs, yo. 

Yeah you can see pics and the story in the 1.6 thread in my sig, Shelby was a ballsy crab.  And crazy.

Crabs.  Heh.

• 4 weeks later...

LIttle update, I got a great deal on a used Kessil A150 ocean blue and put it on the tank, it's got gorgeous color!  A teeny bit bluer than I like but I can live with it.  Still observing to make sure I'm not bleaching anything out lol.  I also tried fluconazole but am not sure it's made much difference in the algae...hmph.  Going to work on cleaning things up to transfer to the 15 and then this tank will get some work done on it.  I'm probably going to add some sand to it and I have a rock left over that wasn't used in the 15 which I cycled in the 15 and am hoping to use it in this tank.  I need a rock scape that's easier to work with and want one I can literally just pull out of the tank (like my jar) when I do maintenance.  I'm tired of frags and soap dish frag racks all over the place lol (my frag racks are currently struggling to stay stuck to the walls... :rolleyes:).  Also, I just spotted the little yellow nudi!  My pom pom crabs split and shared poms and seem to be getting along famously, they appear at different times in different spots, just waving their poms!  The clown is trying to host the frogspawn and is beating it up, it's going into the 15 probably tonight if I can get it off the rock.

I took these pics before scraping the glass with my new Flipper from my Secret Santa, @Mariaface.  Thanks, Maria!  So don't mind the messy walls lol.  This was after switching to the Kessil and added fluconazole (was supposed to be my before pics...).

IMG_20171219_225115574

Miss Myrtle herself (she's starting to turn dark!).  Side note, the trochus snails love that little powerhead lol.  There's one in the same spot right now!

IMG_20171219_225059686

• Like 8

Happy New Year!  Love the clown.  Glad to hear you like the new Kessil.  I've been debating on my next light for my upcoming build. I agree with you on the dominance of the blue.  A bit much for my taste.  It is hard to argue with some of the results I've seen from other reefers in person.  Their corals and color look fab not to mention that shimmer... gorgeous.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

Happy New Year!  Love the clown.  Glad to hear you like the new Kessil.  I've been debating on my next light for my upcoming build. I agree with you on the dominance of the blue.  A bit much for my taste.  It is hard to argue with some of the results I've seen from other reefers in person.  Their corals and color look fab not to mention that shimmer... gorgeous.  

Thanks!  Myrtle is a bit forlorn without her frogspawn to love on lol.  The Kessil is really nice and the shimmer is cool but it's a bit dizzying after a while, to me.  The corals seem to be loving it though!

13 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It's so cute!  Has it eaten anything it shouldn't?

I am not sure.  I think it's a species that eats only algae but am not sure if it's tried any macros or not lol.  I am hoping it only munches on microalgae.  I didn't even know I had it until a few weeks ago but it's identical to the one I found on my Legendary Corals frags back in the summer.  There's two very similar species, one Caribbean and one Pacific, that are basically identical and I am pretty sure it's one of those but do not know which.

• Like 1
BustytheSnowMaam

does s/he have a name? very cool.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:53 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I am not sure.  I think it's a species that eats only algae but am not sure if it's tried any macros or not lol.  I am hoping it only munches on microalgae.  I didn't even know I had it until a few weeks ago but it's identical to the one I found on my Legendary Corals frags back in the summer.  There's two very similar species, one Caribbean and one Pacific, that are basically identical and I am pretty sure it's one of those but do not know which.

• Like 1
On 1/5/2018 at 5:18 PM, StinkyBunny said:

That's a juvenile Lettuce nudibranch, cool find.

Oh cool! From Google it looks like they get to be a good size eventually. Guess I'll have to prepare to move it to the 15 whenever that happens. 

On 1/6/2018 at 11:52 AM, gena said:

The bulb color is so nice!!!!! I think it's a great combo of white and blue :).

Thanks! I really like it, and the extra pop it's giving the corals. Not as crazy blue as the ABI Tuna Blue was, for sure. A few things don't like how strong it is but I can move them out as I get rid of algae on the frag plugs. Speaking of, my algae isn't (or isn't only) bryopsis because the fluconazole I dosed before Christmas appears to have affected the green turf algae not at all. :rolleyes:

On 1/6/2018 at 11:54 AM, tashayar said:

does s/he have a name? very cool.

S/he does not, but I will take suggestions! :lol:

20 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

AWesome nudibranch!

I think it's the same as the one you were interested in last summer when we were trying to solve the ice pack problem lol. It died before things got figured out. :(

Polarcollision
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think it's the same as the one you were interested in last summer when we were trying to solve the ice pack problem lol. It died before things got figured out. :(

Well, I'm consistent in loving your nudibranchs. LOL. Crossing my fingers this one hangs around for ya

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JBM said:

Cool tank ya got there. Love the new light.

Do you find that the ac20 is enough flow for the tank?

Thanks!  AC20--definitely not.  I wouldn't use the AC20 as the only source of flow on anything bigger than, say 2.5-3 gallons.  I added a powerhead (a small one, about 80GPH I think) from Amazon and still am not sure it's enough but things seem pretty happy so I've let it be for now.

I finally hooked up my RODI and have been making lots of water, but this morning I fell asleep while waiting for my LiveAquaria package to arrive.  When I woke up, the kitchen floor was covered in water (was filling gallon jugs set inside a 5g bucket).  Oops. :blush: Thankfully nothing seems damaged, just lots of water everywhere.  Yuck!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

You beat me to setting an RO/DI up!  At least that water was clean!  Much better than walking away from a tank as it drains and forgetting about it.  Poop water everywhere!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

You beat me to setting an RO/DI up!  At least that water was clean!  Much better than walking away from a tank as it drains and forgetting about it.  Poop water everywhere!

I'll do you one better. 

I used to have a 150 fw tank. I would do water changes with a garden hose out the window. This was around the time that my youngest demon spawn was learning to walk. 

Well, she grabbed the hose and needless to say, water all over my kitchen floor. Fun times, the misses was none to pleased about a wet baby, or a wet floor. I thought it was hysterical. 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Ha I've almost done that before!  As it is I make a huge mess every time I mess with the tanks, yuck!  My husband's like, "Why is there water on the desk?!"  "I was messing with the tanks, sorry!"

1 minute ago, JBM said:

I'll do you one better. 

I used to have a 150 fw tank. I would do water changes with a garden hose out the window. This was around the time that my youngest demon spawn was learning to walk. 

Well, she grabbed the hose and needless to say, water all over my kitchen floor. Fun times, the misses was none to pleased about a wet baby, or a wet floor. I thought it was hysterical. 

:lol: I guess since it was dirty water, you couldn't even make the argument that she got a free bath out of the deal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never seen a Lettuce nudibranch larger than 3". The biggest issue with them is running out of food for them. Once they finish up the GHA, they should go after that turf algae. The ones I've had did.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

I make Rodi in the bathtub.  Left it running way too many times.

:lol: Good to know I'm not alone!

38 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I've never seen a Lettuce nudibranch larger than 3". The biggest issue with them is running out of food for them. Once they finish up the GHA, they should go after that turf algae. The ones I've had did.

Ooh that would be nice.  I just set up a little QT so I can focus on ridding frags of that turf algae before adding to the 15.  That stuff is so aggressive!

On 1/10/2018 at 5:40 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

pro tip:  when filtering water, ALWAYS set a timer on your phone!!  ;)

Lol yeah once I figure out how long it takes I'll be able to time it better. Although that doesn't help the accidental falling asleep! :rolleyes:

On 1/10/2018 at 5:48 PM, StinkyBunny said:

I don't have an issue with overflow, I make 1000 litres at a time, lol.

Das a lotta water!

Been doing some work on this tank and pulling out/peroxiding/quarantining frags. Discovered a tiny nub of my kenya tree still alive! Found parts of a pom pom crab, not sure if it's a crab or a molt. :unsure: I know at least one is still alive cuz I saw it. 

• Wow 1