Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Have made some changes to the tank and took pics but haven't uploaded them.  :rolleyes: It will have to wait, though, because I start my new job today!!! omgomgomg  :happydance:  :D  B):wizard:  :flower:

Yay!! Good luck!

HammerLover
On May 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Lula_Mae said:

First update was supposed to go on its own post. :rolleyes: Hoping to use the OP to post future FTS.  Let's try again:

First, some updates:
My favorite purple blasto looks bad and one of the palys is still closed up but I'm thinking the leather melting did not help them at all.  Hoping they'll perk up soon.  Have done a few Lugol's dips and some lights out for a couple days before the transfer.  You can see them here, blasto below the big rock and paly on the right.  You can also see the GSP which had attached to the duster's rock so I just glued it down.  Needed something there that wouldn't possibly need a Lugol's dip (hopefully) lol.  The red palm is in the back right looking pretty ragged.

IMG_20170512_192833472

Feather duster that was rebuilding his tube had less rebuilt than I realized.  Today I came home and found his crown on the bottom of the tank.  Here I am holding it:

IMG_20170512_185056971-01

Purple and yellow duster is happy!  He's a champ.  GSP is still mad from being glued down in this pic.

IMG_20170512_192439390

drgibby's pretty blue-greenish GSP starting to peek out, and the rics--the blue and green ones are each growing new mouths!

IMG_20170512_192344734

drgibby's wintergreen pipe organ!  It's becoming one of my favorites.

IMG_20170512_192931

Slightly blurry FTS (don't mind the cords and powerstrip in the back lol):

IMG_20170512_192753367

Love the pics and the new setup. :wub:

I just finished summer and Im being active and back again lol 

you can use a black cardboard to cover the back of the tank or use a piece of black cartolina temporarily.  

And that pipe organs is sooo nice! Its one of my fav corals since it looks like a cross between knopia polyps and gsp haha

13 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Hope it goes well!!

It did!  Orientations are always long and tiring but free beverages and lunch is always nice. :happy:

13 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Yay!! Good luck!

Thanks!  So far so good! :lol:

12 hours ago, HammerLover said:

Love the pics and the new setup. :wub:

I just finished summer and Im being active and back again lol 

you can use a black cardboard to cover the back of the tank or use a piece of black cartolina temporarily.  

And that pipe organs is sooo nice! Its one of my fav corals since it looks like a cross between knopia polyps and gsp haha

Thanks!  Glad you survived school lol.  I actually picked white on purpose, inspired by gena's 20 long that had a spray-painted white background.  I like the way it looks and will probably do something thicker/more permanent at a later date.  This works fine for now though.

I love this pipe organ, it came out of drgibby's 4 gallon tank and I think it's so pretty!  It's an unusual color, kind of soft wintergreen with bright green centers.  What's a knopia polyp?

• Like 5
HammerLover
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It did!  Orientations are always long and tiring but free beverages and lunch is always nice. :happy:

Thanks!  So far so good! :lol:

Thanks!  Glad you survived school lol.  I actually picked white on purpose, inspired by gena's 20 long that had a spray-painted white background.  I like the way it looks and will probably do something thicker/more permanent at a later date.  This works fine for now though.

I love this pipe organ, it came out of drgibby's 4 gallon tank and I think it's so pretty!  It's an unusual color, kind of soft wintergreen with bright green centers.  What's a knopia polyp?

Knopia polyps are also known as jasmine polyps :) they are like a cross between gsp and clove polyps 

So sad about your clown :( she seems to be really cute but damn hope she'll get well

• Like 1

Thanks ya'll!  Tally was cute and I miss her but I honestly think she came home sick and I am just not fish experienced enough to have recognized it.  Wouldn't be surprised if the store has had a lot of losses along that wall...

Spent a while searching for Valerie today since I hadn't seen her in a while, finally found her at the back of the new rocks wedged in a crevice.  Poked her and she waved me off lol.

• Like 5

Well, it's been a busy couple of weeks since Tally went back to the store!  I'd had some dry BRS Reef Saver rock soaking for a couple days and added it in.  I asked for pieces to fit my tank and gave them dimensions and they gave exactly what I asked for!  I actually wasn't completely happy with the scape as it's more rock than I wanted to go with, but it's growing on me.  The good part is that rock is pretty easy to fit together.  Will definitely keep it in mind for future tanks!

Second, a lighting upgrade.  I'd ordered a second 7w bulb from Reef Radiance but when he emailed to clarify something, Rick offered to send the 12w version for the same cost as it was his birthday and he was feeling generous!  So I said sure!  The light is a LOT bigger and I've got it higher up (got a new lamp to hold it) and it's much whiter to the eye which I like, though it can be hard to photograph because it's so white it washes things out!  But everything seems to really like it a lot.

Here's what the different LED's look like:

IMG_20170601_140342

Last FTS with old light:

IMG_20170531_232710182

First FTS with new light:

IMG_20170531_233321380

I got a little kenya tree frag on ebay, the mother colony was a gorgeous white kenya tree so I'm looking forward to it growing out!  It already seems to have grown.  It was added a few days after Tally left, I think.

Then this week I got a green sinularia, pink and greenish toadstool, and a maze brain frag.  The maze is receding pretty badly, I don't expect it to make it.  The sinularia looked almost clear when it came and the bag water was nasty and brown residue in the bottom, but it's starting to perk up and seems to be coloring up some too!  The toadstool looked like a little bald mushroom for a couple days but today finally started putting some polyps out!  It had these soft brown tube things at the base, I didn't know what they were but left them, turns out it was feather duster tubes!!!!!  I am SO GLAD I didn't try to scrape them off!  I haven't seen little soft ones like this before, the crowns are white.  A couple tubes seem empty so I expect those didn't survive the Lugol's dip.  Oh, well, at least a couple did!

IMG_20170608_184637169

Here you can see the dusters pretty well at the base of the toadstool.

IMG_20170608_201439171

Let's see, other updates...I have a couple spirorbid worms on the back glass!  Yay!  The pineapple sponges on the acan have gotten HUGE all of a sudden!  One of the pink zoas sprouted a baby head.  Finally got a peroxide dip done on those zoas and it seems to have worked pretty well on the nasty brown hair algae.  The radioactive dragon eyes don't seem very happy though.  The little micro zoas aren't either, but there is a tiny red feather duster on their rock now.  The green and purple ric split into two!  The two healthiest blastos are getting huge, the third is still kinda meh about life.  The cactus gorg appreciates the extra feedings I've been trying to do for the macros.  I also got some dragon's breath from gulfsurfer101!  It seems a little pale so hopefully it'll be ok, I have tried two other times to get this so I'm hoping it'll do well.

Zoas!  You can see Weetie's peach galaxy palys on the right.  I think they look a little washed out right now but I still think they are pretty!

IMG_20170602_221325399

Another pic, a little less washed out:

IMG_20170603_153124081

Slightly dark FTS:

IMG_20170603_153207776

Two rics!

IMG_20170604_222337160

Blastos looking great:

IMG_20170608_201532491

Ginormous pineapple sponges!

IMG_20170608_201538777

Happy gorg!

IMG_20170608_201604607

Valerie wanted to put on a show and danced all across the tank during yesterday's feed!  Here she is in front of the kenya tree.

IMG_20170608_201545444

FTS from yesterday.

IMG_20170608_201524407

My grandis paly decided to look like a weirdo today.  Not sure what the deal was.

IMG_20170609_202930501

Here you can see the pretty color of the pipe organ from drgibby, and on the left you can see the polyps on the toadstool extending!

IMG_20170609_202941910

I was going to take more pictures including of the toadstool today but my phone told me I had run out of storage space and by the time I got pics on my computer so I could delete from the phone, the lights were out.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow lol.  

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Well, it's been a busy couple of weeks since Tally went back to the store!  I'd had some dry BRS Reef Saver rock soaking for a couple days and added it in.  I asked for pieces to fit my tank and gave them dimensions and they gave exactly what I asked for!  I actually wasn't completely happy with the scape as it's more rock than I wanted to go with, but it's growing on me.  The good part is that rock is pretty easy to fit together.  Will definitely keep it in mind for future tanks!

Second, a lighting upgrade.  I'd ordered a second 7w bulb from Reef Radiance but when he emailed to clarify something, Rick offered to send the 12w version for the same cost as it was his birthday and he was feeling generous!  So I said sure!  The light is a LOT bigger and I've got it higher up (got a new lamp to hold it) and it's much whiter to the eye which I like, though it can be hard to photograph because it's so white it washes things out!  But everything seems to really like it a lot.

IMG_20170601_140342

Last FTS with old light:

IMG_20170531_232710182

IMG_20170531_233321380

I got a little kenya tree frag on ebay, the mother colony was a gorgeous white kenya tree so I'm looking forward to it growing out!  It already seems to have grown.  It was added a few days after Tally left, I think.

Then this week I got a green sinularia, pink and greenish toadstool, and a maze brain frag.  The maze is receding pretty badly, I don't expect it to make it.  The sinularia looked almost clear when it came and the bag water was nasty and brown residue in the bottom, but it's starting to perk up and seems to be coloring up some too!  The toadstool looked like a little bald mushroom for a couple days but today finally started putting some polyps out!  It had these soft brown tube things at the base, I didn't know what they were but left them, turns out it was feather duster tubes!!!!!  I am SO GLAD I didn't try to scrape them off!  I haven't seen little soft ones like this before, the crowns are white.  A couple tubes seem empty so I expect those didn't survive the Lugol's dip.  Oh, well, at least a couple did!

IMG_20170608_184637169

IMG_20170608_201439171

Let's see, other updates...I have a couple spirorbid worms on the back glass!  Yay!  The pineapple sponges on the acan have gotten HUGE all of a sudden!  One of the pink zoas sprouted a baby head.  Finally got a peroxide dip done on those zoas and it seems to have worked pretty well on the nasty brown hair algae.  The radioactive dragon eyes don't seem very happy though.  The little micro zoas aren't either, but there is a tiny red feather duster on their rock now.  The green and purple ric split into two!  The two healthiest blastos are getting huge, the third is still kinda meh about life.  The cactus gorg appreciates the extra feedings I've been trying to do for the macros.  I also got some dragon's breath from gulfsurfer101!  It seems a little pale so hopefully it'll be ok, I have tried two other times to get this so I'm hoping it'll do well.

Zoas!  You can see Weetie's peach galaxy palys on the right.  I think they look a little washed out right now but I still think they are pretty!

IMG_20170602_221325399

IMG_20170603_153124081

Slightly dark FTS:

IMG_20170603_153207776

Two rics!

IMG_20170604_222337160

Blastos looking great:

IMG_20170608_201532491

IMG_20170608_201538777

Happy gorg!

IMG_20170608_201604607

Valerie wanted to put on a show and danced all across the tank during yesterday's feed!  Here she is in front of the kenya tree.

IMG_20170608_201545444

FTS from yesterday.

IMG_20170608_201524407

My grandis paly decided to look like a weirdo today.  Not sure what the deal was.

IMG_20170609_202930501

Here you can see the pretty color of the pipe organ from drgibby, and on the left you can see the polyps on the toadstool extending!

IMG_20170609_202941910

I was going to take more pictures including of the toadstool today but my phone told me I had run out of storage space and by the time I got pics on my computer so I could delete from the phone, the lights were out.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow lol.  

Whew!  That was a long one. ....... the tank is looking soooo good. :)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

IMG_20170601_140342

Last FTS with old light:

IMG_20170531_232710182

IMG_20170531_233321380

IMG_20170608_184637169

IMG_20170608_201439171

IMG_20170602_221325399

IMG_20170603_153124081

Slightly dark FTS:

IMG_20170603_153207776

Two rics!

IMG_20170604_222337160

Blastos looking great:

IMG_20170608_201532491

IMG_20170608_201538777

Happy gorg!

IMG_20170608_201604607

IMG_20170608_201545444

FTS from yesterday.

IMG_20170608_201524407

IMG_20170609_202930501

IMG_20170609_202941910

Wow. So good. Unbelievable the difference in the lighting.  

We have the same hitchhikers this week. 

10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Whew!  That was a long one. ....... the tank is looking soooo good. :)

Haha yeah, that's what I get for not updating for weeks. :unsure:  I think I forgot to mention that I glued a bunch of stuff onto rock rubble I also got from BRS so there's fewer frag plugs in the tank! :happydance:

10 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Wow. So good. Unbelievable the difference in the lighting.  

We have the same hitchhikers this week. 

Isn't it?  Being able to add extra LED's in the larger bulb changes the visual spectrum a ton!  I still love the little 7w though and think it's fantastic for smaller tanks.  I was finally starting to like the purplish hue lol.  I think the tank is getting similar PAR because the new lamp has the new bulb a good 8" or so higher than the small one lol. B)

10 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Wow, I really like this.

Thanks!  Me too! :lol:  Still need to place a few things, and I've got some stuff coming next week from Legendary Corals (and might have more since they have a big sale starting today and they said it was no prob to combine shipping! omgomgomg) so the tank will probably be pretty packed out.  But then I can let it just grow out and focus on what I want to do for my larger build once I get my own place again.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Looking so good!  I love the new additions!  That new bulb is such a change, personally, I like it whiter, so I think it looks great!

Oh....new bulb is PERFECT!  I'm not crazy about a lot of blue.  It does make corals pop, but I like a more natural look.  You nailed it with the new bulb :D.  Most everything looks really happy and healthy. I bet the maze can recover fingerscrossed

This tank reminds me of my macro tank from a few years ago, on of my favorites.  Macro tanks are just fun! 

4 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Looking so good!  I love the new additions!  That new bulb is such a change, personally, I like it whiter, so I think it looks great!

Thanks!  I prefer a whiter spectrum closer to 10k as well so I love this.  Makes a big difference!

4 hours ago, gena said:

Oh....new bulb is PERFECT!  I'm not crazy about a lot of blue.  It does make corals pop, but I like a more natural look.  You nailed it with the new bulb :D.  Most everything looks really happy and healthy. I bet the maze can recover fingerscrossed

This tank reminds me of my macro tank from a few years ago, on of my favorites.  Macro tanks are just fun! 

Me too, I like the white look--I like to actually see what color my corals are lol.  I love the bulb and am so thankful to Rick at Reef Radiance for it (if anyone needs a similar 12w bulb for a pico, the bulb is the one on their closeout's page for something like $29.99--12R I think is the name of it?)!  Sadly the maze was covered in pods last night and today and is brown and receded today.  I'll try a Lugol's dip but am not holding out much hope for it.  The sinularia is upright today and the toadstool looks funny with polyps poking out mostly around the sides and not on top! :lol:

And thanks, that is a huge compliment!  Your macro tank is one of my favorites and was one of the first threads I read through when I came back to the forums a few months ago.  Am actually planning to read through it again for inspiration! :D My biggest challenge is placing everything I want to keep in such a petite tank lol.

Seeing your 10 Fusion and all the others is making me start thinking about maybe doing one for my next tank, though I was planning to go a little more budget than that.  It may depend on what I choose for a stand and how much room I've got lol.  Some of what's in this tank will end up in the bigger one (like some of the grandis palys I don't think are happy in here).

I just got a couple more corals from Legendary Coral's big summer sale!  Added on to the order that is going to be shipping this coming week.  And all three items were ones that I have had my eye on but had decided not to get because I couldn't justify the cost versus how many polyps I'd be getting, and the frags I got are MUCH bigger than the three polyp frags I would have gotten, and cheaper too!  I am so thrilled!  I can't wait to get everything in my tank! omgomgomg  :happydance:  B)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Toadstool is definitely shedding!  Snapped this pic last night.

IMG_20170610_212840459

It's really cool seeing the shedding in the pic, and I like the Sinularia!!

1 hour ago, vlangel said:

The new light is a huge improvement and I like the new coral.  Great pics!

Thanks!  I'm really happy with everything except for the brain not doing well--pretty much skeleton at this point. :( Tuesday will be a big day for the tank though and I'm excited! omgomgomg

37 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

It's really cool seeing the shedding in the pic, and I like the Sinularia!!

Thanks, it is pretty cool and also kinda gross looking lol.  The sinularia was a pretty vivid neon green a lot like Gena's old one so I hope it colors up again, right now it's pretty much white with a light green tint lol.

Here's a couple more pics I snapped while ago, you can see the shed hanging down around the stalk and the base.  Do I need to help rub it off any?  I am really pleased with the polyp extension right now, I think the toadie is getting used to the tank and it looks so pretty! :wub:

From a little above:

IMG_20170611_165940044

A little harder to see through the soap dish, I think. Weetie's sexy peach galaxy palys at the bottom of the pic!

IMG_20170611_165930864

Bonus pic!  Ms. Val waving under the grandis paly:

IMG_20170611_171229

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Neat pic!  That toadstool sure has a long stalk, my green polyp toadstool is pretty much just the top nub glued to a frag plug.

1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Neat pic!  That toadstool sure has a long stalk, my green polyp toadstool is pretty much just the top nub glued to a frag plug.

Really?  This one's my first so I don't know what they usually look like lol.  I actually bought it on the top-down pic which was gorgeous.

s-l1600.jpg

Granted, it's probably under 20k lights but I still thought it was a stunning toadstool.  If it looks anything like that at all, I will be happy lol.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Really?  This one's my first so I don't know what they usually look like lol.  I actually bought it on the top-down pic which was gorgeous.

s-l1600.jpg

Granted, it's probably under 20k lights but I still thought it was a stunning toadstool.  If it looks anything like that at all, I will be happy lol.

Oh goodness, those Palys really lightened up!!

Oddly enough, the ones in my tank got lighter too this week, mebbe it's a weird seasonal thing. 

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh goodness, those Palys really lightened up!!

Oddly enough, the ones in my tank got lighter too this week, mebbe it's a weird seasonal thing. 

lol yeah they are pretty light, a light peach now--maybe it's like blonde hair in the sun :lol: .  Do they look like they're stretching to you?  Or do they just have longer stalks?  Wondering if I need to reposition them.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:48 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks!  I prefer a whiter spectrum closer to 10k as well so I love this.  Makes a big difference!

Me too, I like the white look--I like to actually see what color my corals are lol.  I love the bulb and am so thankful to Rick at Reef Radiance for it (if anyone needs a similar 12w bulb for a pico, the bulb is the one on their closeout's page for something like $29.99--12R I think is the name of it?)!  Sadly the maze was covered in pods last night and today and is brown and receded today.  I'll try a Lugol's dip but am not holding out much hope for it.  The sinularia is upright today and the toadstool looks funny with polyps poking out mostly around the sides and not on top! :lol:

And thanks, that is a huge compliment!  Your macro tank is one of my favorites and was one of the first threads I read through when I came back to the forums a few months ago.  Am actually planning to read through it again for inspiration! :D My biggest challenge is placing everything I want to keep in such a petite tank lol.

Seeing your 10 Fusion and all the others is making me start thinking about maybe doing one for my next tank, though I was planning to go a little more budget than that.  It may depend on what I choose for a stand and how much room I've got lol.  Some of what's in this tank will end up in the bigger one (like some of the grandis palys I don't think are happy in here).

I just got a couple more corals from Legendary Coral's big summer sale!  Added on to the order that is going to be shipping this coming week.  And all three items were ones that I have had my eye on but had decided not to get because I couldn't justify the cost versus how many polyps I'd be getting, and the frags I got are MUCH bigger than the three polyp frags I would have gotten, and cheaper too!  I am so thrilled!  I can't wait to get everything in my tank! omgomgomg  :happydance:  B)

Oh darn on the maze.  Well maybe it's like a plate coral and can regenerate :).  I hope the Lugol's dip will help it! 

I kept my macro tank sand-less.  That's the only tank I ever ran without sand.  I had a hard time keeping it clean.  All the detritus collected at the bottom.  I must not have had enough flow in there.  I bet I could do a better job now. 

The 10g Fusion is a fun tank.  I'm really happy with it.  If you have room for it, I'd probably go bigger right away.  I experimented with all different sizes, up to a 45g cube and learned the smaller tanks (like the 10) are my favorite.  I just like something small and cute.  Plus it's less work to keep clean :).

Looking forward to seeing your LC order!  Those pearlberry blastos look amazing!

23 hours ago, gena said:

Oh darn on the maze.  Well maybe it's like a plate coral and can regenerate :).  I hope the Lugol's dip will help it! 

I kept my macro tank sand-less.  That's the only tank I ever ran without sand.  I had a hard time keeping it clean.  All the detritus collected at the bottom.  I must not have had enough flow in there.  I bet I could do a better job now. 

The 10g Fusion is a fun tank.  I'm really happy with it.  If you have room for it, I'd probably go bigger right away.  I experimented with all different sizes, up to a 45g cube and learned the smaller tanks (like the 10) are my favorite.  I just like something small and cute.  Plus it's less work to keep clean :).

Looking forward to seeing your LC order!  Those pearlberry blastos look amazing!

I hope so!  Sunday it looked like there was a teensy bit of tissue fragments in the skeleton so maybe it will come back.  I do get some detritus on the bottom but it doesn't bother me too much.  I may say differently when the tank is more mature!

I've actually never had larger than an 18 gallon tank even with freshwater so I'm a little nervous about jumping straight from 5.5 (my largest salty tank ever) to a 20 or so, but I want to do 10-20 gallons.  Am debating getting a 10, a 15 long, or using the 20H or 20L I have in storage that I've never used, and considering costs of rocks, lighting, etc.  I want to keep it pretty low-cost.  But since I'd likely do an AquaClear refugium, I have to weigh the cost of that in there too, and even with a standard 10 gallon and the HOB, it might come out similar in cost to a tank like the 10g Fusion.  So then my thoughts circle back around and start over! :lol: I've also usually liked longer, shallower tanks rather than taller, but seeing some of the 10g Fusions has me seriously considering that tank now.  I think a lot of neat things can be accomplished with that height!

Mostly, as long as I have room to try out clowns and a PSW, I'll be happy.  Maybe another small fish or two, depending on tank size, age and stability.

I'm so excited, the truck is supposed to be here by 4:30 PM!  It's later than normal because it's a rural area.  Hopefully FedEx doesn't make me wait too long!

Yesterday after work, I came home and got on N-R and I was so tired I conked out in the chair!  My sister woke me up so I could go to bed lol.