SaltCritters.com

Stella's ReefWeeds - 100 days of Nanos Contest Tank

ReefWeeds

8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Awwww!!! :tears: My favorite grumpy faced dingwobbler fisher fish!

I know :( I've never been so upset by a fish loss before 

3 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

So sorry. This is the hard part of the hobby. We'll all miss Bubba.

You're absolutely right. I got lucky for the first 2 years in this hobby and didn't lose one fish or invert. Too bad that didn't last.

On a happier note, I was watching a reefbuilders video and spied one of my paintings on Jake Adam's art wall! omgomgomg 

right behind his head...

IMG_4913.PNG

• Like 14

Well, I ordered a bonded pair of hi-fin gobies and a red striped pistol to go in my macro tank. They're coming today. But now I'm thinking of putting them in this tank..... so there may be a surprise later 

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I am sorry about Bubba. :( I came on to catch up and this is not what I wanted to read. :tears:

Yeah, definitely not a good update. I hate not knowing what caused it. 

51 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

So sorry to read about Buba. He was so much fun to watch. 

Thanks Deb. 

1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

I'm sorry to hear about Bubba! That stinks!

Thanks Chris :flower: I know you know that pain all too well. 

• Like 1

Well, a good ending for the contest tank today. I trimmed off about a gallon of macro algae as it was getting too jungly and did a water change before the gobies and pistol got here. I acclimated the gobies and shrimp then dumped them into their new home. One goby went off exploring and the other immediately found the pistol. I have no idea where the adventurer is, but the other two have been building stuff all day.  They first chose a chalice frag to live under but that didn't really work so I moved some snake polyps over for them to live under. 

Photo (I sure hope the other goby finds them tonight) 

And full tank shot after trimming. Of course I knocked over the sponge, knocked off some stuff that was glued, but there's more room for stuff to continue growing now. 

IMG_4928.JPG

• Like 10
11 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks great!  So sorry to hear about poor Bubba..... it always sucks when you have no idea of the cause of death.  

I know. I of course blame myself. I think I may have overfed him - although I was careful to look to make sure his stomach didn't look like it had anything in it before I fed the tank. I actually think he may have eaten a hermit crab, shell and all, about 3 weeks ago. I thought the bump in his stomach looked like a shell. But after a couple days he seemed normal again so I figured it was just a shrimp outline.

• Like 2
Just now, stellablue said:

I know. I of course blame myself. I think I may have overfed him - although I was careful to look to make sure his stomach didn't look like it had anything in it before I fed the tank. I actually think he may have eaten a hermit crab, shell and all, about 3 weeks ago. I thought the bump in his stomach looked like a shell. But after a couple days he seemed normal again so I figured it was just a shrimp outline.

You'd think they would know not to eat some crazy sh*t like that. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You'd think they would know not to eat some crazy sh*t like that. 

Ha right? I'm still not sure. But I did have a tiny hermit in a cerith shell and that's what the outline looked like. When he seemed fine after a week, I stopped worrying. Not sure if it was that - more likely me over feeding. I would put in two gut loaded ghost shrimp 2x a week. I'm thinking that was too much. 

Still no sign of the other goby. They are both really tiny so I looked in the back chambers and still nothing. I also looked around the tank thinking he could've jumped but didn't see anything. Maybe he's still hiding in some macro. Jeff named the goby and shrimp pair: red and bumble 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Ha right? I'm still not sure. But I did have a tiny hermit in a cerith shell and that's what the outline looked like. When he seemed fine after a week, I stopped worrying. Not sure if it was that - more likely me over feeding. I would put in two gut loaded ghost shrimp 2x a week. I'm thinking that was too much. 

Still no sign of the other goby. They are both really tiny so I looked in the back chambers and still nothing. I also looked around the tank thinking he could've jumped but didn't see anything. Maybe he's still hiding in some macro. Jeff named the goby and shrimp pair: red and bumble 

They are cute!  I definitely want a goby shrimp pair when the big tank is ready.  

• Like 1

Dangit, Stella! You beat me to posting about the wheeler goby pair and shrimp I got this weekend :( 

I should put up a longer post later this week; my thread's been lacking in details..

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Dangit, Stella! You beat me to posting about the wheeler goby pair and shrimp I got this weekend :( 

I should put up a longer post later this week; my thread's been lacking in details..

Well that's so cool! We copied each other without even meaning to. This morning though I don't see any of them. It's not a large tank - how can two gobies and a shrimp hide that well??

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Well that's so cool! We copied each other without even meaning to. This morning though I don't see any of them. It's not a large tank - how can two gobies and a shrimp hide that well??

You're telling me! I swear the three of mine are huddled inside the tunnel under a rock, with the tunnel almost closed. How are they breathing?!

• Like 1

Finished up a couple of new paintings yesterday!

and my FTS for week 9! Time flies 

the pistol and goby apparently threw algae around all night as I looked in the tank this morning and algae was everywhere. Every piece had been dislodged from the mangrove planter except the blue scroll and is now on the sandbed free floating. I'm going to need to do some regluing and such later.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Nice, any SPS paintings in the works?

Actually..... now that you mention it.... yes ? But since I'm not sure how they will turn out, I haven't posted them up yet 

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Stella's ReefWeeds - 100 days of Nanos Contest Tank