Coral Vue Hydros

Hawaii 2-0 : Red Sea Reefer Nano : Our second slice of paradise

moosubi

[[ Current FTS - January 2018 ]]

o11jChf.jpg

Long time lurker here, just getting started cycling our RS Reefer Nano!  Dusted off the old camera, but no tripod yet...  We're about 3 weeks into cycling a new home for our little bit of paradise =)

Red Sea Reefer Nano

Sicce 2.0 return Reef Octopus Varios-2 (added 10-May-2017)

Reef Octopus SSS110 IceCap K2-50 (added 29-May-2017) much better fit for the sump

Finnex HMO 100W

MP10 for flow

BRS 5" Mini Reactor - running ROX 0.8 Carbon for now Molded Filter cup from MD w/bagged carbon and floss (added 26-Sep-2017)

AI Prime HD Nanobox Duo Plus M

Modded return with Loc-Line and spreader bar (added 18-May-2017)

Future stocking plans: 2 nemos (done), YWG (got replaced by a Yasha!), starry blenny (done), 2 Banngai Cardinals (happy with the current stocking levels, 6 seems a bit much...), and Hermie our pesky electric blue hermit (done).

[[ ORIGINAL FTS APR 2017 ]]

fts.jpg

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @moosubi, glad you joined the group!

I dig the liverock you chose, nice layout. What coral are you planning to keep? Moving things from the other tank?

Definitely keep that old camera out, that's a great shot! Love the depth of field.

@Christopher Marks Thank you!  Pretty happy with the way the scape turned out, and happy the epoxy and glue are holding... :P

In our holding tank right now we have our duncan and a couple torches, some baby groot gsp, mushroom, kenya and our favorite ricordea yuma.  We're going to move them all over as soon as it's ready, and we definitely have our eye on some rainbow aussie acans and a blasto for my little corner.  We'll definitely be picking up more ricordeas too, the colors are just fantastic!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Nice!!!

Did you do some kind of mod to the overflow, what is that?

Also, :welcome: to N-R!!

Just the stock overflow, I had the camera on a timer and just used a flashlight to light it up lol. Glare makes daytime pics impossible with the tank location.

and thank you, NR feels the most like a close knit community compared to all the rest :)

• Like 1
On 4/28/2017 at 0:31 PM, moosubi said:

Long time lurker here, just getting started cycling our RS Reefer Nano!  Dusted off the old camera, but no tripod yet...  We're about 3 weeks into cycling a new home for our little bit of paradise =)

Red Sea Reefer Nano

Sicce 2.0 return

Reef Octopus SSS110

Finnex HMO 100W

MP10 for flow

AI Prime HD is still sitting on the other tank for now keeping our LPS and softies alive

Future stocking plans: 2 nemos, YWG, TS or starry blenny, and Hermie our pesky electric blue hermit.

Hopefully it cycles sooner rather than later!

fts.jpg

Scape is really cool.

• Like 1

Tank cycled, corals moved along with some new additions!

Micro Lords:

HgOJzj6.jpg

Ultra Ricordea:

4W3lbZ7.jpg

Neon Blasto:

0jCFbn9.jpg

Ricordea:

Vn7DoPg.jpg

Also picked up a Cherry Blasto, tucked in the back for now, so no pics yet, but it's a beauty!

• Like 4

Finally got some pictures of the critters, meet Thing 1 and Thing 2:

Thing 1:

MHWj70D.jpg

Thing 2:

UL4KaKF.jpg

Thing 1 and 2:

8Ww9cQJ.jpg

Just your regular Occe's (I prefer them over designers, call me plain :P)

• Like 3
TheBig053
8 minutes ago, moosubi said:

Just your regular Occe's (I prefer them over designers, call me plain :P)

You and me both.  Those Acans are nice!  Where did you get them?

How do you like the mp-10 in the nook on the side of the overflow? I'm still trying to figure out the flow in my Nano. I bought a 3D printed split return nozzle and the only difference is that it creates a small patch of surface film that's trapped between the two nozzles. I have a Tunze in the nook and it is very unobtrusive there but I'm not sure it's the best spot when it comes to the flow.

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

You and me both.  Those Acans are nice!  Where did you get them?

@World Wide Corals!  A little extra up front, but well worth!  Very happy with all the frags in the order.

1 minute ago, reefist said:

How do you like the mp-10 in the nook on the side of the overflow? I'm still trying to figure out the flow in my Nano. I bought a 3D printed split return nozzle and the only difference is that it creates a small patch of surface film that's trapped between the two nozzles. I have a Tunze in the nook and it is very unobtrusive there but I'm not sure it's the best spot when it comes to the flow.

I'm not sure yet...  I had it on the other side, but with my scape, it felt like most of the flow was blocked.  I want to get some SPS on the top rock, but I'm not entirely sure if they'll get enough flow.  I'm thinking about getting another mp-10 and running it on the other side, going to test the flow out with one of my old koralia nanos first.

I'd imagine you should have enough flow in there for sps with a single mp-10. I had another Tunze in mine and it was way too much. Water was sloshing into the overflow making a racket. I'm doing more of a lagoon biotope so no sps.

Just now, reefist said:

I'd imagine you should have enough flow in there for sps with a single mp-10. I had another Tunze in mine and it was way too much. Water was sloshing into the overflow making a racket. I'm doing more of a lagoon biotope so no sps.

Yeah, seems like a shame to have 2 and run one at 20% all the time, lol.  I do know where my dead spot is, so it's easy to siphon up the junk.  Going to test out an acro soon, so here's hoping!

• Like 1

I added a spreader to my return nozzle and have that working the top of the water.  My MP10, keep it at 50% running variable between that an 0.  I can't imagine two MP10s in there.  If I turn this up, it really is too much for my tank.  Picture to follow..

IMG_8685.JPG

IMG_8686.JPG

• Like 3
TheBig053

How many gallons is the Red Sea Reefer Nano?  I recently added a Jebao SW-2 with the wavemaker controller to my EVO 13.5 and run that at 20% with the pulsing wave setting in addition to a Hydor Koralia 425 and the stock return pump with dual output nozzles.  I have them in the same corner but facing in different directions with the 425 pointed directly behind my rock structure (FTS with this set up in my aquarium journal).  This seems a bit overkill especially with the SW-2 only running at such low power, but it was really the only effective way I have found to eliminate all dead spots and create turbulent flow. 

11 minutes ago, Flexin said:

I added a spreader to my return nozzle and have that working the top of the water.  My MP10, keep it at 50% running variable between that an 0.  I can't imagine two MP10s in there.  If I turn this up, it really is too much for my tank.  Picture to follow..

I didn't think of that, I'll pick one up and give that a try!  That way I can just hit the top rocks with the return flow.  Thanks for the info!

4 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

How many gallons is the Red Sea Reefer Nano?  I recently added a Jebao SW-2 with the wavemaker controller to my EVO 13.5 and run that at 20% with the pulsing wave setting in addition to a Hydor Koralia 425 and the stock return pump with dual output nozzles.  I have them in the same corner but facing in different directions with the 425 pointed directly behind my rock structure (FTS with this set up in my aquarium journal).  This seems a bit overkill especially with the SW-2 only running at such low power, but it was really the only effective way I have found to eliminate all dead spots and create turbulent flow. 

~21G in the display tank.  I think my flow issues stem mostly from running the powerhead in the nook on the back of the tank instead of on the sides of the tank.  I prefer the cleaner look since the tank is bookended by our desks.  I think Flexin's spreader bar suggestion will be a good compromise.  The dead spot I have is pretty small, enough that I can pick up any leftovers with my hose on WC days.

When I got the spreader, it was not a snug fit and moved around.  I used some epoxy to mount corals, just a small ball, and wedged it in the groove.  Now I have it placed perfectly and if I really need to move it, the epoxy will pop off the plastic.  Hope that helps (just in case)...

• Like 1