Top Shelf Aquatics

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

This guy is so much bigger than I thought. I think it's at least 6 inches long, if not more. Is he ok in there or should I try to get him out?

Ha. I just realized I never posted the picture :unsure:

26470123098_bf89f7dd8f_c.jpgFire worm by Penny, on Flickr

2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

You could try baiting him out with a piece of shrimp after the lights go out. I don't trust larger Fireworms.

shrimp like I would eat? Or mysis?

• Wow 1
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Omg! My nightmares are gonna return!

I hope you can get that thing outta there! Good luck! fingerscrossed

Ack! I completly forgot that you had all that trouble with fireworms in the beginning. I wasn't panicking, but now maybe I am. :scarry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's 100 day contest tank-The Florida Honeymoon Reef-Pretty little discovery 2/21/18
On 2/18/2018 at 7:04 PM, Pjanssen said:

Ha. I just realized I never posted the picture :unsure:

26470123098_bf89f7dd8f_c.jpgFire worm by Penny, on Flickr

shrimp like I would eat? Or mysis?

Piece of shrimp like you'd eat

On 2/21/2018 at 2:02 PM, Pjanssen said:

Noticed this little beauty a few days ago. Normally it pops back into its tube whenever I get too close, but today it was feeling brave and stayed out long enough for me to get a 1/2 decent picture! It's really tiny, maybe 1/16-1/8 inch diameter.

26534545588_8399a81ba8_c.jpgRed coco worm by Penny, on Flickr

Those are REALLY nice to get.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:29 PM, debbeach13 said:

That's a nice crown so red I never see any that color at the LFS. 

The only way to get those is on wild/maricultured live rock. They can be had on Fiji or Indonesian live rock.

• Like 3
On 2/21/2018 at 2:36 PM, Pjanssen said:

What’s amazing to me is that 10 months later I’m still discovering things in this KPA rock!

That is amazing and the really cool thing about real live rock!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How's your tank doing these days @Pjanssen? Any more fire worm sightings?

I see it every now and then. Today I actually have some time and am going to spend some long overdo attention on this tank. Trimming some macros. Gluing Gorgs back in place. Try to capture the fire worm. 

• Like 3

While I had the tank apart I decided to do a full sand clean up. I came across a few of these. I think they are tube worms buried in the sand but I’m not sure. Anybody know? At any rate, I massacred several of them

Mystery worm?

• Wow 1

Good news bad news:

1st the good: Although it has taken me all day, I was finally able to pretty much finish what I started. Not really. I started the day thinking I was just going to straighten it up a bit and Re-glue some things that had fallen.

But then I decided for some reason that I should clean the sand since I never have and I don’t ever stir it. 

And then I decided it was too risky to reuse the sand since I probably killed a bunch of stuff and I didn’t like how chunky it had gotten anyway

then the first store I went to only had oolite or Hawaiian black sand. No. I found Fiji Pink at the second store. Hours to rinse clear.

it has an all new scape and gorgs are glued down. I need more. Took macros out and might not put them back

no sand yet because I have to go to work. Maybe I like it without sand. Maybe not ?.

Bad news: no sign of the fire worm so I’m guessing it’s still

in there ready to pounce as soon as I try to put another RFA in. 

WHEW!

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Spring cleaning seasonomgomgomg 

I wonder if you might be able to build a trap for the fire worm? It might be worth waiting to put any sand back in, if you're hoping to catch it.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Spring cleaning seasonomgomgomg 

I wonder if you might be able to build a trap for the fire worm? It might be worth waiting to put any sand back in, if you're hoping to catch it.

I agree about the sand. I havnt seen the fire worm in a little while but I havnt really had time to look for him. As holey as my rock I thought I would have seen him when I had the rock out of the water. 

On 3/24/2018 at 4:24 PM, Pjanssen said:

You like the one I tore in half? ?

A bit like watching Halloween!?

Sorry to hear about the urchin.  Maybe its coincidence that it died after the spring cleaning.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I got all of the bristle worms out when I did the spring cleaning, but I just saw a big one coming out of a rock. I just added a RFA that I got from Reef A Palooza so I definitely need to get it out. Hope this works

IMG_5104.thumb.jpg.5373b998b83cd2ec34d6a3ffd09dad2d.jpg

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021