ReefCleaners.org

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

36 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

If I could get the ricordea and/or RFA happier I'd add a couple more. Any suggestions?

IDK, I've never had issues with RFAs (I believe that I've just kept the Caribbean variety).  They must like my low flow dirty tanks. :unsure:

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

IDK, I've never had issues with RFAs (I believe that I've just kept the Caribbean variety).  They must like my low flow dirty tanks. :unsure:

Yeah, The RFA is fine, just not spectacular. The one in my 29 seems so much more vibrant. Maybe it's just the color combo of this one. This tank did have quite a lot of flow cuz that's what I thought the gorgs need, but I just took the Koralia nano out to see if anything likes that better.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Cleaner goby ID - I used ORA's goby page to ID mine: https://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/gobies/

The problem is that because he was in hiding, probably in the back chambers, he didn't get much light so coloring is off. I feel like his head is more the shape of the sharknose, but more the coloring of a neon. Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

Today there is more yellow showing on Rover (the little vagabond goby, who knows where he's been), leading me towards being a sharknose. I think they are trying to become friends. Hopefully the sharknose that has been in there is not being territorial. Still can't get a picture because they are just too quick right now. A few more days I think they will settle down a bit more.

• Like 1

That's so cool that you just randomly discovered a "new" fish in your tank. 😊 Hopefully these two will get along! Have you seen any signs of aggression so far, or do they seem to be getting along well?

5 minutes ago, billygoat said:

That's so cool that you just randomly discovered a "new" fish in your tank. 😊 Hopefully these two will get along! Have you seen any signs of aggression so far, or do they seem to be getting along well?

It is pretty cool. Just goes to show how hardy these little fish are. It's hard to tell if they are getting along. Sometimes it seems as tho Goby #1 goes after and chases Rover. Other times I see them lying side by side. They will like either become a mated pair or choose opposite sides of the tank to live on. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Rover back in back chamber! I think #1 chases him too much. Not sure what to do. Seems stupid to just let him live back there, but seems cruel to let #1 continually torment him.

Dang! I was concerned that they might end up fighting but was hoping they'd just get along. Any chance you might be able to move one of the sharknoses into a different system? I'd be nervous about a fish just living my aquarium's back chambers forever.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Dang! I was concerned that they might end up fighting but was hoping they'd just get along. Any chance you might be able to move one of the sharknoses into a different system? I'd be nervous about a fish just living my aquarium's back chambers forever.

If I put one in my other system either the one of the clowns or the hawkfish would kill it for sure. I wouldn’t think living in a back chamber would be good either, but he lived there for several months without me knowing it 😄

• Like 1
Just now, Pjanssen said:

If I put one in my other system either the one of the clowns or the hawkfish would kill it for sure. I wouldn’t think living in a back chamber would be good either, but he lived there for several months without me knowing it 😄

I guess you've got a point. Maybe he just likes it back there? It sucks to have a fish that isn't visible at all, but as long as you keep an eye on him I imagine he would probably be fine. 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Not too happy with this tank of late. IDK, no macros left, Gorgs only doing okay, Rics all but melted away and fish hiding out in the back chamber...I guess I'm bored with it. So today while at the fish store getting water, I spied with my brown eye, some Caribbean blue chromis' and came home with 2.

IMG_0009.thumb.jpeg.988f8f9b1ef13fd118bdb3e6fa659e7d.jpeg

• Like 3

And thinking about my Rics...I was wondering if my water might be too clean? I've tried more flow, less flow. More light, less light. All to no avail. So today after my water change I decided to leave the carbon out and see what happens. Also picked up some Fuel to start dosing. Also picked up some Reef Chili to see if I can't get some more response from the Gorgs.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Not too happy with this tank of late. IDK, no macros left, Gorgs only doing okay, Rics all but melted away and fish hiding out in the back chamber...I guess I'm bored with it. So today while at the fish store getting water, I spied with my brown eye, some Caribbean blue chromis' and came home with 2.

IMG_0009.thumb.jpeg.988f8f9b1ef13fd118bdb3e6fa659e7d.jpeg

They are very pretty! 😀

• Thanks 1

Beautiful chromis! I am considering getting one as well. They are gorgeous fish and very lively.

As for the Rics, I do wonder what's going on with them. They have always seemed very adaptable in my system and have adjusted well to the wide variety of different flow and light patterns that I have tried over the past few months. It could be something involving nutrients like you say; my tank is pretty dirty I think (though I haven't tested nitrate or phos for ages so I don't know for sure).

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

i like the tank (first time seeing the thread) i really enjoy seeing a nice softy tank 

On 8/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, Pjanssen said:

P8250431.thumb.jpeg.65b81429109009d7f05f9ca2a10c9ebd.jpegP8250430.thumb.jpeg.58b5dbc0c9140de50fc19b8377229bad.jpeg

IDK what this is but i want it lol

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

i like the tank (first time seeing the thread) i really enjoy seeing a nice softy tank 

you'll have to be  a little more specific 😀

13 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I think he's lookin' at the corky finger (Briaerum asbestinum). This is a large and beautiful gorgonian from the Caribbean. It is an aggressive species that can colonize and kill other gorgs that it touches, so it must be placed with care, but it's beautiful and can get quite big if it is happy. 😊

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021