Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SNG's 40b...new pics 2-6-18

slowngreen

I have some crappy luck. Last night I had almost everything transferred into my 20l and bumped my overflow pipe with my sump hard enough it busted the back of my 20l. So I ran to town and picked up another one, didnt drill it though and transferred  everyone into it today. Time will tell if that fixed it and some might be too far gone but so far just in the couple hours they have been in the new 20l my brain has really improved.

• Wow 1

Kind of wondering if maybe I just didn't let the dap cure enough or even maybe the overflow I bought might have had bad adhesive. Those are the only options I feel are left.

I redid my silicone with Marineland and am letting it cure for a few days this time.

Tossed the sand out. Will start with new white or maybe even barebottom. Also sold my 300w Marsaqua to a buddy and ordered a Sanrise setup.

• Like 1

Just an update. Let me new silicone set for 3 full days. Bought 25 lbs give or take of cured live rock and new sand and got the 40b running. I will test everything over the next few days to make sure it didn't start a cycle then when my light shows up (Saturday hopefully) I will transfer everyone back over. 

• Like 1

Been running two days now, no ammonia or nitrites any time I've tested. Think Im good to go on swapping livestock over? All the rock I used wasn't out of water for more than 2 hours and it was kept damp those two hours. 

Move seemed to go very well. My light didn't show up yet so I just have a 36" 450nm strip light on it and things are looking so much healthier now. Hammer, Duncan and brain are nice and big again and I'm getting alot of zoas opening back up. Can't wait for the light to finally show up, Im excited to give it a try.

• Like 1

My new Sanrise.... Mounting legs are about 8" off the water. But they wont fit with my canopy, think I will mount it on top of the canopy instead which will be about 14" off the water.

20171211_100958.jpg

20171211_101020.jpg

20171211_101027.jpg

• Like 2

Higher is probably better.  Most corals do amazingly well in lower light.

I am dying for you to get the look of your old tank back, still one of my favorites.  Sorry I wasn't subscribed, I thought sure I did back when you restarted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mark! I've always wanted your input on my tanks, means alot. Things are coming back now, zoas are opening up again. I'll get a pic soon.

My light, I really like. The app is fairly lame and disconnects alot so I just have it manually programmed and it ramps up and down on its own. 

The color is pretty good, it has 16x5w 7500k, 16x3 RB, 6 cool blue, 3 425's, 3 405, 2 red and 2 green. I have the red and greens off. I think I want to replace some of the 7500k's with 4500's. But they are $8 each! 

This is what they look like. Instead of buying the entire peice, I'm hoping I can just buy some 5w 3500-4500ks and resolder them on instead.

IMG_3539.jpg

• Like 2
On 12/18/2017 at 4:25 PM, slowngreen said:

Thanks Mark! I've always wanted your input on my tanks, means alot. Things are coming back now, zoas are opening up again. I'll get a pic soon.

My light, I really like. The app is fairly lame and disconnects alot so I just have it manually programmed and it ramps up and down on its own. 

The color is pretty good, it has 16x5w 7500k, 16x3 RB, 6 cool blue, 3 425's, 3 405, 2 red and 2 green. I have the red and greens off. I think I want to replace some of the 7500k's with 4500's. But they are $8 each! 

This is what they look like. Instead of buying the entire peice, I'm hoping I can just buy some 5w 3500-4500ks and resolder them on instead.

IMG_3539.jpg

I’ve done a bunch of LED soldering to stars and it’s easy. Bought a skillet at Goodwill for $8 and some solder paste and it’s simple after that. Emitters I usually get from Digikey, except the UVs (SemiLEDs), which I think I got from Rapid LED.

• Thanks 1

Some new pics from today. Everything is open and happy, all zoas have come back open.

This is running 10% white, 75% RB, 60% B, 55% UV, 0 r, 0 g. Not running very high wights as there are alot more whites than rb and blue. Colors seem saturated but you get the idea of what the tank looks like.

IMG_0272.jpg

• Like 2

Ok so I've tested my Cal and KH the last 3 days to get a figure of what I might need to be dosing. Each day I've been at 480 and 7. Not seen a drop yet. Although those numbers are lower than what the salt "says" it mixes at but the same as they have been for 3 days now. Should I wait a few days and test again and if theres no real drop then just continue with twice a month water changes to replenish other stuff that might have diminished? 

I have only a few sps at the moment, figured they might use more than what they have but when I add more I'll go back to testing....right?

Ok so I did a gallon and tested it. Was 460 and 13. So calcium has remained the same but alk dropped to 8. Lets say I wanna keep my alk around 9, would I test again tomorrow, see what its at then use the alk calculator on BRS to find my dosing? Or should I try to get it up to where the salt starts at around 13? Since I only do about 5 gallon water changes, the 13kh wouldn't hurt anything if I kept my tank around 8 or 9 would it? Not really be enough of a fast rise being mixed in with only 5g?