Innovative Marine Aquariums

20g High Start Up

cvest100

Tested again today. Ammonia and nitrites are gone, but still have nitrates.  PH is still at 8.  Planning another WC tomorrow....

20170503_132427.jpg

Hey @Weetabix7, I'm still having issues finding a smaller submersible light for my AC70, but see that you have some very awesome macros in your tank! Any good recommendations on what I could keep in the tank to help nitrate control since I can't seem to find what I need to grow chaeto?  Something with some good color, but easy to take care of.  That may be the only way of battling this GHA since my snails seem to want nothing to do with it....

In other news, got my inTank media basket, new heater and chem pure blue.  What else do folks run with the chem pure?  

Also so cleaned out my collection cup on the skimmer.  Not bad for about 48 hours of running!

20170504_150044.jpg

Weetabix7
Just now, cvest100 said:

Hey @Weetabix7, I'm still having issues finding a smaller submersible light for my AC70, but see that you have some very awesome macros in your tank! Any good recommendations on what I could keep in the tank to help nitrate control since I can't seem to find what I need to grow chaeto?  Something with some good color, but easy to take care of.  That may be the only way of battling this GHA since my snails seem to want nothing to do with it....

In other news, got my inTank media basket, new heater and chem pure blue.  What else do folks run with the chem pure?  

It depends how much you want, quantity wise. 

If you don't mind receiving good sized amounts, I'd recommend this: http://www.live-plants.com/redsampler.htm

and/or this: http://www.live-plants.com/sponge.htm

If you want smaller amounts that will grow out, I have some pretty red Macros I can send you for around $20 shipped, depending on what you get. 

Any of those are super easy to keep, look nice and add nice color. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

If you don't mind receiving good sized amounts, I'd recommend this: http://www.live-plants.com/redsampler.htm

If you want smaller amounts that will grow out, I have some pretty red Macros I can send you for around $20 shipped, depending on what you get. 

Thanks!  I'll take a look and see what I come up with!  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Bought the red sampler!  Any tips on planting when I get them?

Weetabix7
1 minute ago, cvest100 said:

Bought the red sampler!  Any tips on planting when I get them?

That's a good one, you're gonna like it. 

They won't come with roots, so you won't need to "plant" them. 

You can tuck the ends in rock crevices, or use superglue or fishing line to attach them to rock or rubble. 

I've used all of those methods.

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's a good one, you're gonna like it. 

They won't come with roots, so you won't need to "plant" them. 

You can tuck the ends in rock crevices, or use superglue or fishing line to attach them to rock or rubble. 

I've used all of those methods.

Sweet!  As always, thanks for the help! ?

• Like 1
Weetabix7
Just now, cvest100 said:

Sweet!  As always, thanks for the help! ?

No prob, post pics when it comes in so we can all drool. :)

• Like 1

Another test today.  Nitrates are still high.....  I have no idea what's going on!  I haven't been to my LFS for a couple weeks (it's not so local at 45 minutes away) so I'm out of RODI water, but have been using distilled from the store.  Hoping I can get things under control.  I really want to get these tomatos out and to my LFS, so I can get an Ocellaris and Six Line Wrasse...  Would it be too much to add a shrimp at the same time?  

20170505_103932.jpg

Tomatoes are gone! Took a trip today.  Two new residents and I might have also added a couple of corals. Some GSP and a Hammer!  Opening up nicely after being in for about an hour!20170507_144745.thumb.jpg.8edbaed7805e39b2f50e9754fb95f588.jpg20170507_152234.thumb.jpg.cec2d7460c8439e690b54b44578df1ca.jpg

• Like 2
Weetabix7
9 minutes ago, cvest100 said:

Tomatoes are gone! Took a trip today.  Two new residents and I might have also added a couple of corals. Some GSP and a Hammer!  Opening up nicely after being in for about an hour!20170507_144745.thumb.jpg.8edbaed7805e39b2f50e9754fb95f588.jpg20170507_152234.thumb.jpg.cec2d7460c8439e690b54b44578df1ca.jpg

Nice!!!

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Nice!!!

Thanks!  Haven't received a shipping notice on the Macros but hoping they come this week! ??

Woot!  Did you get a pair of ocellaris?  I'm glad you saved the tomatoes from a sorry fate.  I was at an aquarium the other day that had a trio of them, I could tell who was definitely the boss! lol

Weetabix7
48 minutes ago, cvest100 said:

Thanks!  Haven't received a shipping notice on the Macros but hoping they come this week! ??

He'll likely ship on Monday for Tues arrival. 

I can't remember if I got a shipping notice. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Woot!  Did you get a pair of ocellaris?  I'm glad you saved the tomatoes from a sorry fate.  I was at an aquarium the other day that had a trio of them, I could tell who was definitely the boss! lol

LFS only had one. He's so tiny!  I'll probably stick with one.  May get a firefish in a few weeks.  The clerk at my LFS said she was glad to take the Tomatos off my hands!  

Two more photos!

20170507_164519.jpg

20170507_164542.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cvest100 said:

LFS only had one. He's so tiny!  I'll probably stick with one.  May get a firefish in a few weeks.  The clerk at my LFS said she was glad to take the Tomatos off my hands!  

Ooh firefish are lovely, especially the purple and Helfrichi ones.  What other fish are you thinking about?  I'm glad the LFS was happy to take them!  Hopefully they will get a nice home with somebody who has room for them.

3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ooh firefish are lovely, especially the purple and Helfrichi ones.  What other fish are you thinking about?  I'm glad the LFS was happy to take them!  Hopefully they will get a nice home with somebody who has room for them.

I'm not sure what other fish...recommendations are always welcome!  Also thinking about getting a shrimp. Thoughts? 

Macros will be here by Thursday!  Just received the shipping confirmation.  What kind of glue do you guys use to attach them?  Also where can I get some reef safe dry rocks to use?  I'm not sure if I want to just attach them to my existing rocks...  24 hours in and everyone seems happy!!

20170508_155207.jpg

20170508_155215.jpg

11 minutes ago, cvest100 said:

Macros will be here by Thursday!  Just received the shipping confirmation.  What kind of glue do you guys use to attach them?  Also where can I get some reef safe dry rocks to use?  I'm not sure if I want to just attach them to my existing rocks...

I've tried the gel superglue before, not sure if there is better.  I've heard of using fishing line to tie them to rocks.  Bulk Reef Supply has dry rocks and rock rubble, and free shipping.

22 hours ago, cvest100 said:

I'm not sure what other fish...recommendations are always welcome!  Also thinking about getting a shrimp. Thoughts? 

I'm hoping to try a pink-streaked wrasse, they seem so cute!  Or something like a watchman goby, or a goby/shrimp pair would be pretty cool.  I don't know much about them but saw a video last night of some pairing up for the first time and I am hooked!  I'm sure there's other fishes too but a clown pair, PSW and maybe a firefish or something is my goal for whenever I set up a "big" tank (probably 15-20 gallons lol).  For my next slightly larger pico I want to try a green-banded goby or two.

4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've tried the gel superglue before, not sure if there is better.  I've heard of using fishing line to tie them to rocks.  Bulk Reef Supply has dry rocks and rock rubble, and free shipping.

I'm hoping to try a pink-streaked wrasse, they seem so cute!  Or something like a watchman goby, or a goby/shrimp pair would be pretty cool.  I don't know much about them but saw a video last night of some pairing up for the first time and I am hooked!  I'm sure there's other fishes too but a clown pair, PSW and maybe a firefish or something is my goal for whenever I set up a "big" tank (probably 15-20 gallons lol).  For my next slightly larger pico I want to try a green-banded goby or two.

Thanks Lula!  I'll take a peak at Bulk Reef Supply!  A shrimp/goby pair might be very interesting.  I'll have to look for some videos!

Weetabix7
53 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Lula has the best suggestions!!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Lula has the best suggestions!!!!

:blush: Thanks Weetie!  Having only space/money for picos leaves a lot of room for daydreaming lol.

• Like 2